Alaska Airlines

www.alaskaair.com

Alaska Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014
Alaska Airlines – US – “A Flight Departing from Honolulu”

Alaska Airlines – US – “A Flight Departing from Honolulu”

Alaska Airlines President & CEO Bradley D. Tilden

Bradley D. Tilden

Pros
  • The flight benefits was the best part of the job (in 13 reviews)

• I love the Travel Benefits of this job, the other flight attendants that I fly with, and all the exciting towns we go (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Very odd shift work and starting pay is low (in 6 reviews)

• Poor pay and horrible schedules all based on seniority (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Company cares about you

Director (Current Employee) SeaTac, WA

ProsGreat place to work; family like, company cares about its employees

Conslack of diversity in upper management

Fun Job

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFlying all over the world for free or next to nothing.

ConsDealing with TSA on a daily basis, being on call.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of the bad employees and do more to keep the good ones.

betrayed by management as they succumbed to the intimidating poisonous culture of the senior flight attendants

Flight Attendant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosthe young enthusiastic flight crews

Conssevere job instability, poor pay, overworked flight crews, corrupt management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, working towards great

Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe employees are great to work with, Opportunities to work in various locations, Focused on the customer, Most leaders willing to make tough decisions for the greater good, The benefits are very good (vacation time and travel especially), Leadership is focused on being a great company and not just settling for being a great airline

ConsLack of accounability at all levels, Compensation is low for same jobs in other companies and industries, Software and hardware are antiquated and create productivity issues, Many groups still operate in silos and actively stop efforts to work cross-divisionaly

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have had a great few years, but few of them have had any effort on improving the work environment from the employee's perspective. The focus has been "what should we do" and then determining "how are we going to convince everyone this is the right plan".

Broken systems, no accountability, lack of focus

IT Project Manager III (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPersonal time off, flexible schedule, occasional telecommuting

ConsIT systems are old and in constant need of repair. Very limited investment in improving behind-the-scenes operations. As far as project management goes, the budgets are undefined because labor isn't planned or tracked well. Schedules are never met because resources are spread too thin and personnel don't feel compelled to meet a schedule. Scopes are constantly in flux.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus! Implement and enforce use of a labor planning/time keeping tool that is easy to use. Make people accountable.

Awesome

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat people, really fun to work with. Awesome benefits, really fun and motivating company.

ConsNot the most efficient corporate environment, technology on the customer end is fantastic, but terrible for employees. (We don't have MS Outlook and rely on an antiquated email system)

Highly technical job, Complex environment and great people to work with and had an excellent team.

Manager Network Operations (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFor technical people, you will have an opportunity to work on complex technical environment and multiple third party companies that makes the job very interesting. Always plenty to do.

ConsProject priorities weren't defined, and very lean IT environment based on work and what you had to support.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly define priorities to execute on what will make the greatest impact to Alaska Air

Great Brand but Frustrating Middle Management Career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDecent benefits, including flights (when not full)

ConsMiddle management is squeezed to perform more and more with less while upper management enjoys secretive "perks" and front line (union) are paid well through contracted wages and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork toward increased transparency, honesty, and internal succession planning. Train, mentor, and promote from the inside to gain trust and loyalty. Performance Based Pay (formerly profit sharing) should be the same percentage of wages or salary company-wide and not higher for upper management.

Good environment, excellent perks

Ramp Service Agent (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsFree travel, great job while I was in school, down to earth employees, often times it was fun to work.

ConsThe positions I was in was unionized so the higher seniority people could sometimes be lazy and you had to make up for the slack. All while they get paid a lot more than you for doing the same job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo personal feel to any management feedback or job reviews.

A great place

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat benefits and a great corporate culture. People here love the industry and love the company, and there are great benefits as well.

ConsBelow average compensation. Could be making much more in a different industry. Alaska (and I would assume most airlines) are cheap when it comes to compensation.

Worked for Alaska Airlines? Contribute to the Community!