Alaska Communications

Updated May 31, 2014

Alaska Communications President, CEO, and Director Anand Vadapalli

Anand Vadapalli

IT Project Manger for small project with Tekmate

ProsGreat learning environment for someone new in project management.

ConsManagement should be more open and information should be share among department.

Some nice people to work with. No communication

Customer Sales and Service Representative (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsStarting pay is great, set schedule, paid time off accures fast

Consno communication from management, awful network, forced benefits, too much about sales to the point of selling customer wrong thing and losing customers. teaching the opposite of customer service to reps

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow reps more information, actually communicate with rest of company. think about promotions before having them.

Excellent company! Fantastic growth opportunity! Strong loyalty to employees.

Senior Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsGreat work environment. Very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. Great coworkers.

ConsSomewhat disorganized in Network Engineering. Provisioning and OAM&P systems & processes are flawed.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on getting Network Engineering and Operations in order. Look at customer QoE from customer perspective to understand where the problems are.

Alaska Communications Human Resources responded to this review

Jul 3, 2014

Thank you for leaving a review. Your input is greatly appreciated.
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to make an impact!

Manager (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsThe transformation that began a few years ago is really taking root. This company is a great place if you want to have a personal impact on a large scale. Tremendously talented folks that will go to great lengths to make the customer happy.

ConsOrganizational silos and challenging legacy systems can be frustrating, but personal effort to overcome challenges is seen everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to pay attention to breaking down the structural and systems based silos.

ACS has potential, but management stands in the way of success.

Network Technician (Current Employee) Fairbanks, AK

ProsAbove average benefits through IBEW.
    Salary is competitive when overtime is factored in.
    Annual leave is above average.
    Fixed pay scales with no incentives for advanced certifications.

ConsStatewide company with no career opportunities outside of Anchorage.
    Lack of training to keep up with technology.
    Very poor/no communication between departments.
    Department managers are more concerned with control than meeting business needs.
    No concept of product deployment lifecycle, everything is an emergency due to poor planning.
    Very poor network planning in upgrade technology to meet customers expectations.
    Management will not listen to criticism.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend half as much energy on enabling employees to get the job done as you spend on trying to automate complex processes. A once size fits all approach does not work when deploying complex network solutions all across Alaska.

Supportive staff and excellent customer service

Human Rsources (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsAlaska Communications has a lot of opportunities for growth within the company. If you are looking for a job, this is not the place. If you want a successful career then this is the place.

ConsAlaska Communication has a lot of room for growth and some managers/supervisors are stuck in the past and not willing to help grow the company, this can cause delays in processes and improvements.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for supervisors about the basics (paperwork, documentation, efficiency, etc)

Very difficult working environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsCan be an interesting place to work companies services span cellular, broadband, and Hosting/data Center services.Recent purchase of remaining 49%stake in Tekmate a good move, will create opportunities.

ConsNot a people oriented company, has had high turnover rates in past, very stressful environment.

I worked at Alaska Communications for about a year.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsGood culture, truly cares about the community and their employees.

ConsEmployees seemed to be overwhelmed at times. However, this is understandable as the telecom industry can be demanding at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlaska Communications is growing and has a lot to offer the industry. It's important to have the staff to be able to deliver on those demands. Increase staff so you can focus on what's important -- providing the best service to your customers while also keeping your employees satisfied.

Lot's of growth opportunity for growth for those who wants to put the work in.

Service Desk Manager (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsGood culture, cares about the community.

Conspossible relationship issues with Barginaning (union) units and the company

Good employees, difficult corporate structure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had an amazing experience working at Alaska Communications. My supervisor was the best mentor and role model that I could have ever asked for.

ConsOther employees seemed to be overwhelmed and at times, dissatisfied.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen communication. At no fault of the Director of Corporate Communications, it seems that upper management is always trying to mask things from the working class – a definite detriment to the corporation.

Worked for Alaska Communications? Contribute to the Community!