Alaska Communications

Alaska Communications Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Alaska Communications President, CEO, and Director Anand Vadapalli

Anand Vadapalli

Supportive staff and excellent customer service

Human Rsources (Current Employee)
Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsAlaska Communications has a lot of opportunities for growth within the company. If you are looking for a job, this is not the place. If you want a successful career then this is the place.

ConsAlaska Communication has a lot of room for growth and some managers/supervisors are stuck in the past and not willing to help grow the company, this can cause delays in processes and improvements.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for supervisors about the basics (paperwork, documentation, efficiency, etc)

ACS has potential, but management stands in the way of success.

Network Technician (Current Employee)
Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAbove average benefits through IBEW.
Salary is competitive when overtime is factored in.
Annual leave is above average.
Fixed pay scales with no incentives for advanced certifications.

ConsStatewide company with no career opportunities outside of Anchorage.
Lack of training to keep up with technology.
Very poor/no communication between departments.
Department managers are more concerned with control than meeting business needs.
No concept of product deployment lifecycle, everything is an emergency due to poor planning.
Very poor network planning in upgrade technology to meet customers expectations.
Management will not listen to criticism.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend half as much energy on enabling employees to get the job done as you spend on trying to automate complex processes. A once size fits all approach does not work when deploying complex network solutions all across Alaska.

Very difficult working environment.

Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsCan be an interesting place to work companies services span cellular, broadband, and Hosting/data Center services.Recent purchase of remaining 49%stake in Tekmate a good move, will create opportunities.

ConsNot a people oriented company, has had high turnover rates in past, very stressful environment.

I worked at Alaska Communications for about a year.

I worked at Alaska Communications for less than a year

ProsGood culture, truly cares about the community and their employees.

ConsEmployees seemed to be overwhelmed at times. However, this is understandable as the telecom industry can be demanding at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlaska Communications is growing and has a lot to offer the industry. It's important to have the staff to be able to deliver on those demands. Increase staff so you can focus on what's important -- providing the best service to your customers while also keeping your employees satisfied.

Lot's of growth opportunity for growth for those who wants to put the work in.

Service Desk Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Alaska Communications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood culture, cares about the community.

Conspossible relationship issues with Barginaning (union) units and the company

Good employees, difficult corporate structure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Alaska Communications as an intern for less than a year

ProsI had an amazing experience working at Alaska Communications. My supervisor was the best mentor and role model that I could have ever asked for.

ConsOther employees seemed to be overwhelmed and at times, dissatisfied.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen communication. At no fault of the Director of Corporate Communications, it seems that upper management is always trying to mask things from the working class – a definite detriment to the corporation.

Good benefits and great people.

Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWorking as part of the IBEW is great.; benefits are top notch. Management is slowly coming around to empowering the employee both on and off the job a long with recognition for off work volunteering. Employee discount on services is very good as well.

ConsNo matching 401k. ESPP is not as good as it once was. Too small of a bonus incentive plan, it should be more and not capped.

Making a successful career easy

Network Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits, unionized, and good opportunity for growth.

ConsTop heavy, not enough communication, need to invest more in their employees. Every year they say they are going to spend more time and money (training) on the employees and they never do.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you say you're going to do!!!!

Company lacks future vision

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros- Salary is fair. They seem to be a bit behind some of the other communications companies, especially for being in Alaska where the cost of living is higher than most of the L48. This is also due to them being a Union Shop.
- Workplace is fair.
- They relocate people from the L48 in attempt to find good talent.
- Good Work/Life Balance

Cons- Union Shop for almost every job. Some jobs just aren't designed for Union's.
- Lack of future vision - The Higher ups seem to lack any vision. It is fixing now, instead of long term planning
- Old Mentality - The people who have been here the longest rule, and aren't open to new ideas or change. They stick to their guns, because they fear they can be replaced.
- Refusal to Spend Money where it matters. They spend money on process and procedure while neglecting their customers and the service they need.
- Workplace Attitude - Most people here are just "counting days" to their Union Pension. They don't care about the customers, they just want their pension.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend money where it counts - Expansion and getting better service to DSL Customers, should be a top priority. We are already slower than GCI, and can't offer higher speeds to more than half our customers.
Get rid of Employees who don't care - They drag down the workplace.
Don't Lie and Hide behind numbers thinking we don't understand.

Alaska Communications is potentially the worst run/least ethical companies I've ever been a part of in 15+years.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alaska Communications

ProsIf you're part of the 70+% in the union, it pays relatively well and work/life balance is positive. Great union benefits. Good "starter" job for those looking for customer service, retail sales.
Decent training for entry level employees in retail and call center.
Excellent place to do project based telecom work if you're an engineer with less than 10 years of experience.
Excellent leaders in marketing, project management, customer service.

ConsLack of honesty, integrity, and accountability for not speaking the truth are management mantras. Cutthroat management beginning with President and senior leaders at the top. Punative and oppressive culture which is "investigation central" in an effort to minimize trust, insulate heads down behavior, and keeping all that you do "in the box." The Golden Rule does not exist at this corporation. Deception, misinformation, overwork, and the minimalization of the terms "thank you" and "well done" are par for the course. The culture of entitlement is rampant here, especially within the union.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk yourself the question: "if employees are our most valuable asset, then why do we treat them so poorly?" Watch "The Wizard of Oz" again and then look in a mirror. Check for signs of courage and heart as functioning on brains alone is not a singular critical success factor. Calling bad good and good bad is not a self sustaining policy for managers, stockholders, or rank and file employees.

Worked for Alaska Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Alaska Communications Videos

Alaska Communications – Why Work for Us?

About Us Headquartered in Anchorage, Alaska Communications today serves the fastest growing segment of users - data dependent consumers and enterprises - and leverages its legacy as a local telephone company to support… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alaska Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alaska Communications CEO Anand Vadapalli. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Alaska Communications employees.