Alaska Communications

Updated December 5, 2014
3.2

Alaska Communications President, CEO, and Director Anand Vadapalli
Anand Vadapalli

It's all in the management - usually good

Current Employee - SSAI in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - SSAI in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Internal promotions, training, ground up employment and all seems good from what I hear. We get many calls from retired employees...many speak of the politics of the small state company, but are happy.

Cons

Depending on management, it's very likely before your 6 month union protection comes in, they can can you for nothing.

Audit managers.

Legacy ILEC struggling to define company direction

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people in the trenches are on the whole quite talented, experienced and committed to providing customers with the best service they are capable of.

Cons

Glacial pace of corporate change coupled with mostly union workforce makes it very difficult for Alaska Communications to be agile and competitive in the marketplace.

Great place with great people

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Above average pay, good benefits, 3 weeks vacation w/ 5 personal days. Culture is trying desperately to change. Long slow process, but I see movement. Great CEO who is doing his best. I'd follow him through fire. People are amazing at this company. More so than not, friendly, kind, caring. Don't find that everywhere.

Cons

Operational reviews are done on a monthly basis which takes some groups weeks to prepare. Disrupts work getting done. Limit to quarterly, that's all that's really needed. Perhaps we haven't made some of the best decisions in the past couple of years, but you do what you've got to do. You know what I mean.

Chaos

I worked at Alaska Communications

Pros

Good intentions to change. High aspirations to leave behind a legacy of unsuccessful business.

Cons

Lack of training. Slow to actually improve old processes. No clear set measurement standards.

Decide how you want to measure your sales team and stick with it. Don't have a conversation every month about how to measure how bad they are or aren't doing.

Great pay, terrible management

I worked at Alaska Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Because most hourly positions are Union, the pay is great! That is about the only pro I can give.

Cons

Union benefits are okay, but everyone pays the same amount no matter if it's just you or if you have 17 kids. The management is terrible, and the communication is even worse. I was ALWAYS working and always fixing problems. I had a terrible work-life balance.

Everyone needs to be on the same page, not in a completely different book. It is difficult to be effective and efficient when you are getting told a hundred different things in a hundred different ways.

Steer Clear

Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager

I worked at Alaska Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the employees in the union seemed pretty happy to work at Alaska Communications, but I presume that had more to do with the benefits and protection garnered from their Collective Bargaining Agreement more than anything else.

Cons

Mid and upper management were pretty myopic when it came to anything outside of their respective funnels of experience.
    Product management within the business division was rather haphazard, in particular VoIP systems. No discernible vetting process was in place, no quality assurance, no system evaluation, no assessment regarding which systems applied to which customers.
    When I came on board, the multiple reorganizations (every 3 to 6 months) should have been a sign to continue to seek other employment.

Clean house, have your mid level management move along to retirement or their next careers or retirement. Somewhere between the CEO and front-line management there is a massive disconnect. As it is Mr. Vadapalli's and the boards desire to stay competitive and grow the company, I'd suggest that they do a better job of vetting technology that meets all customer's needs and expediting the phasing out of obsolete systems i.e. Centrex

Interesting and challenging experience.

Current Employee - Senior Network Sales Engineer in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Senior Network Sales Engineer in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid and secure environment. Family friendly. Great coworkers. Relaxed atmosphere. Opportunities to grow and advance my career.

Cons

Process obstacles and inefficiencies continue to challenge us. Competitor is a fierce and often unethical opponent, making it difficult to sell on value.

Revisit process engineering. Challenge middle management for truth. Invest in the last remaining network services necessary to compete.

Lost at sea

Former Employee - Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Manager in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent pay and good benefits

Cons

Profound lack of vision collides with the absence of accountability to create a truly dysfunctional organization. Executive leadership does not possess the business insight needed to right this ship. Poor decision making at every level and diminishing value placed on the customer will result in the end of a once good company.

It's beyond time to bring in leaders with industry experience.

Some nice people to work with. No communication

Current Employee - Customer Sales and Service Representative in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Customer Sales and Service Representative in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Starting pay is great, set schedule, paid time off accures fast

Cons

no communication from management, awful network, forced benefits, too much about sales to the point of selling customer wrong thing and losing customers. teaching the opposite of customer service to reps

Allow reps more information, actually communicate with rest of company. think about promotions before having them.

IT Project Manger for small project with Tekmate

I have been working at Alaska Communications

Pros

Great learning environment for someone new in project management.

Cons

Management should be more open and information should be share among department.

Alaska Communications Photos