Alaska Communications

Anand Vadapalli

1. It's all in the management - usually good

Current Employee - SSAI in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - SSAI in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Internal promotions, training, ground up employment and all seems good from what I hear. We get many calls from retired employees...many speak of the politics of the small state company, but are happy.

Cons

Depending on management, it's very likely before your 6 month union protection comes in, they can can you for nothing.

Advice to Management

Audit managers.

2. Promotions, people and pay were a plus. Managements lack of insight into the business with a steady focus were negative

I worked at Alaska Communications

Pros

The pay, benefits and generally the people are good.

Cons

Office Politics. Lack of clear direction and alignment from management.

3. Working conditions

Current Employee - Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Manager in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Communications

Pros

Great work teams dedicated to doing a good job.

Cons

Merit increases are set on a percentage increase based on a rating system. Almost better to quit and rehire for a reasonable salary bump.

5. Unreliable due to debt

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska Communications

Pros

Nice people, decent training, reasonable compensation.

Cons

Your future is uncertain here. ACS' debt has been the cause of their downfall. They have tried many times to reduce it, but still they have debt hanging over their heads. They have invested very little in the infrastructure of their own technology.

6. Legacy ILEC struggling to define company direction

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people in the trenches are on the whole quite talented, experienced and committed to providing customers with the best service they are capable of.

Cons

Glacial pace of corporate change coupled with mostly union workforce makes it very difficult for Alaska Communications to be agile and competitive in the marketplace.

7. Great place with great people

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Above average pay, good benefits, 3 weeks vacation w/ 5 personal days. Culture is trying desperately to change. Long slow process, but I see movement. Great CEO who is doing his best. I'd follow him through fire. People are amazing at this company. More so than not, friendly, kind, caring. Don't find that everywhere.

Cons

Operational reviews are done on a monthly basis which takes some groups weeks to prepare. Disrupts work getting done. Limit to quarterly, that's all that's really needed. Perhaps we haven't made some of the best decisions in the past couple of years, but you do what you've got to do. You know what I mean.

8. Chaos

I worked at Alaska Communications

Pros

Good intentions to change. High aspirations to leave behind a legacy of unsuccessful business.

Cons

Lack of training. Slow to actually improve old processes. No clear set measurement standards.

Advice to Management

Decide how you want to measure your sales team and stick with it. Don't have a conversation every month about how to measure how bad they are or aren't doing.

9. Great pay, terrible management

I worked at Alaska Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Because most hourly positions are Union, the pay is great! That is about the only pro I can give.

Cons

Union benefits are okay, but everyone pays the same amount no matter if it's just you or if you have 17 kids. The management is terrible, and the communication is even worse. I was ALWAYS working and always fixing problems. I had a terrible work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Everyone needs to be on the same page, not in a completely different book. It is difficult to be effective and efficient when you are getting told a hundred different things in a hundred different ways.

10. Steer Clear

Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager

I worked at Alaska Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees in the union seemed pretty happy to work at Alaska Communications, but I presume that had more to do with the benefits and protection garnered from their Collective Bargaining Agreement more than anything else.

Cons

Mid and upper management were pretty myopic when it came to anything outside of their respective funnels of experience.
    Product management within the business division was rather haphazard, in particular VoIP systems. No discernible vetting process was in place, no quality assurance, no system evaluation, no assessment regarding which systems applied to which customers.
    When I came on board, the multiple reorganizations (every 3 to 6 months) should have been a sign to continue to seek other employment.

Advice to Management

Clean house, have your mid level management move along to retirement or their next careers or retirement. Somewhere between the CEO and front-line management there is a massive disconnect. As it is Mr. Vadapalli's and the boards desire to stay competitive and grow the company, I'd suggest that they do a better job of vetting technology that meets all customer's needs and expediting the phasing out of obsolete systems i.e. Centrex

11. Interesting and challenging experience.

Current Employee - Senior Network Sales Engineer in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Senior Network Sales Engineer in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Solid and secure environment. Family friendly. Great coworkers. Relaxed atmosphere. Opportunities to grow and advance my career.

Cons

Process obstacles and inefficiencies continue to challenge us. Competitor is a fierce and often unethical opponent, making it difficult to sell on value.

Advice to Management

Revisit process engineering. Challenge middle management for truth. Invest in the last remaining network services necessary to compete.

Alaska Communications Photos