Alaska Native Medical Center

2.7
CEO

1. Great place to work if Alaska Native

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Native Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are very supportive to Alaska Natives and their family, the "Customer Owners" are given great care and assisted through the process of treatment and needs assessment like no other place I have seen.

Cons

IF you are not Alaska Native then as an employee you are expendable and ill supported, I have seen many examples of favoritism and nepotism.

Advice to Management

Hire good people that will stay and improve your facility, it is great to encourage and grow the expertise of Alaska Native but at the expense of the community and employees is not appropriate.

2. Very hostile work environment

I worked at Alaska Native Medical Center full-time

Pros

The pay was pretty good, health insurance was good and there wasn't a long waiting period for it, location near University Lake is nice.

Cons

Incredibly hostile work environment in the pharmacy. I hope things have changed, but unless the management has changed, I don't see how that's possible. Nepotism and workplace bullying reigned supreme there. Most of my co-workers were anxious and distrustful because there was so much workplace intrigue. We literally were told that we weren't allowed to sit down, which is cruel, unrealistic, and bad for your health. Absolutely the worst place I've ever worked. There were a lot of nice people working there, and I hope they've moved on to better situations too.

Advice to Management

End the nepotism. If a department has high turnover, it just might be that the management is terrible. Create a more inclusive, friendly workplace culture.

3. AK NATIVE MED CENTER

Former Employee - Staff RN
    Former Employee - Staff RN

I worked at Alaska Native Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well trained staff. Continuing Ed supported.

Cons

Natives by law are considered first for promotions.

5. Disorganized and top heavy

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Native Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

10 paid holidays/year.
    Always open positions.

Cons

Always open positions. No funds for education. Unit educator does not perform education for unit. No consistant orientation for new staff on unit. Sink or swim. ANTHC Nurse recruiter is either incompetent or lies. Understaffed on regular basis. Can't get/keep experienced staff. Overstaffed with inexperienced/new nurses...not a good mix of knowledge. Pay is significantly less than other 2 hospitals in the area. Too many in management positions, with no one understanding what the other is doing. Very disorganized. Constantly running out of supplies and central supply says they don't know when new stock will come in. How can you run out of blood pressure cuffs????

It is ran like other government agencies- too many people in management/administrative positions and a huge waste of resources, money and otherwise.

Advice to Management

Run the hospital like other successful hospitals, cut management staff, either pay educators to educate their units or get rid of them.

RSS Feed </> Embed