Alaska Pacific University

CEO

1. Mosely Desk Girl 2010

Current Employee - Mosley Front Desk in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Mosley Front Desk in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Pacific University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work Very chill Able to complete homework while on duty Good experience with office organizational duties Great for people new to the school - good way to meet new people

Cons

The only con I can think of was that compensation was not great - but this was a work study position for me

2. Great culture and community

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska Pacific University full-time

Pros

Good people who truly care about education. Low stress environment.

Cons

Private and nonprofit doesn't leave a lot of profit for growth. Enjoy the pace but don't expect your resume to flourish.

Advice to Management

Recruiting new students isn't an strategy, it's an outcome. Develop strategies to facilitate that outcome, grow your strengths and convert negative stakeholders to reduce inertia.

3. Run far, far away!

Former Employee - Staff
    Former Employee - Staff

I worked at Alaska Pacific University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff are generally friendly, and so are the students! Tuition benefit is nice, but they don't extend benefits to partners like the state schools.

Cons

I had a little bit of flexibility taking classes, but the senior management never made it easy. Low pay compared to all other universities. The employee benefits got more and more expensive on my end/ worse for the employee during my years there. The senior management is pretty dysfunctional, and I'm amazed they haven't been sued yet. They are very distrustful of good employees. At one point the HR lady asked me what prescriptions I was on. She also asked my former boss if she was married and had children, during her interview. I've heard they have a better HR person now, who actually knows the HR standards.

Advice to Management

The current president is destroying APU. I've watched as no less than 20 very capable employees have jumped ship in the last 3-5 years. It's long past the time to find a better university president, who recognizes APU's strengths and doesn't try to make it fit a mold he has in his head. It hasn't worked yet.

RSS Feed </> Embed