Alaska Railroad

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alaska Railroad President and CEO Christopher Aadneson

Christopher Aadneson

Great people to work with, not the best company to work for.

Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alaska Railroad full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe Alaska Railroad is a critical link to the State of Alaska. Working here allows me, in my own small way, to make a big difference in the State I live in. Most of the people who work there are excellent people and make staying there worth it.

ConsThe current economy in Alaska is hitting the Railroad hard. Non-union employees have gotten one raise in the last 5 years, and the future outlook is not any better. The hard times of the lower 48 are making their way up North. Senior Management in my area of the Railroad is very difficult to work for and makes me wish that the rest of the people working there were equally disagreeable, so I could feel good about deciding to leave to find other employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you ask people to share cost-saving measures, make sure that you actually want to hear the answers.

The Worst Employer Ever...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska Railroad full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the people are nice.

ConsManagement is inflexible, unethical, and extremely unwilling to change. It is the "good ol' boys" network there. Management is unwilling to help their staff grow. Any new suggestions are declined immediately without thought.
Very disappointing employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff better. Listen to staff. Value them. Do not treat them like underlings. An executive management overhaul should be considered because most of management do not know how to grow or lead. Poor management and communication has resulted in bad habits.

A good place to work...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Alaska Railroad

ProsEmployees love the work and are very committed.

ConsDisparities in pay among non-represented employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood to have new CEO; hopefully he will be allowed to do the job.

Worked for Alaska Railroad? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alaska Railroad reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alaska Railroad CEO Christopher Aadneson. All reviews posted anonymously by Alaska Railroad employees.