Alaska USA

William B. Eckhardt

Enjoyable

Former Employee - Loan Supervisor in Oak Harbor, WA
    Former Employee - Loan Supervisor in Oak Harbor, WA

I worked at Alaska USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent training and leadership
    good culture and work environment

Cons

stressful, taxing, hours of operation

not applicable

Spent my lunch breaks crying.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Alaska USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a good place to learn about the banking industry, the medical and retirement benefits were nice, and training was well-done.

Cons

I worked for multiple managers at Alaska USA, none of which I would ever want to come across again. Everyone from Assistant Managers to Senior Financial Services Representatives to the new hires at each location walked around in a constant state of paranoia, because anyone from the Branch Manager position and up would run things with an iron fist and use intimidation and subtle threats to keep employees in control. None of my coworkers felt comfortable with their jobs at any point in time. This place does not give employees a sense of job security. Toward the end of my time with the company, I spent my lunch breaks crying because my manager was so rude and condescending to her team. The worst part is that the upper management within the company saw her as a star Branch Manager, because her location had high sales. The fact that her staff were miserable and her employee turnover was high didn't seem to matter as much. It's difficult to respect a company that places such little value on employee happiness.

Management really needs to work on their intimidation factor. Ruling employees with intimidation and threats is never acceptable, but it's happening at your branches.

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Renton, WA

I worked at Alaska USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good amount of vacation from the start, good amount of classroom training

Cons

Open 7 days a week and all but 3 holidays, not the best benefits, upper management only looks out for themselves.

Love AK USA

Current Employee - Financial Services Consultant
    Current Employee - Financial Services Consultant

I have been working at Alaska USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great compensation package. Good growth

Cons

Not the most exciting work

Not as much micro managing

Good principles, flawed execution

Former Employee - Special Credits Officer in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Special Credits Officer in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, banker's hours, decent pay. Alaska USA has a strong history of growth and continues to expand its services and its membership. I was a member before working at Alaska USA and am still a member although I no longer work there. Alaska USA provides great value for their membership.

Cons

Alaska USA tries to promote an organizational culture that values its employees and provides opportunities for advancement, but management fails horribly in its execution. There is no communication between executive management and employees, creating a severe disconnect between employees and the organizational mission. This disconnect leads to significant inconsistencies between the management of different departments. There is little focus on employee development or training beyond an employee's current position. Most supervisors and managers do not have sufficient training or experience to effectively lead and develop employees, resulting in a culture that fosters micro-management and distrust instead of professional growth. Alaska USA's traditional top-down management style creates an atmosphere that discourages employee involvement and hinders careers. If you want to work for a company that values its employees and provides opportunities for career development, look somewhere else.

Strive to make a connection with your employees and foster a culture that promotes inclusiveness, employee development, and respect. Actions speak louder than words - it is not enough to put organizational values in writing, you must practice them, too. Alaska USA University is a severely untapped resource - use it to create development plans for employees and offer programs that are current and beneficial for all levels within the organization.

Great first job at a financial institution

Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative

I have been working at Alaska USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Better starting pay than most banks and credit unions, good bonus programs, and lots of leave earning potential.

Cons

TERRIBLE schedule if you have a family! Rotating schedules that include sat and sun and most holidays (most WA branches are open 7 days a week, and 362 days a year). Not to mention you work until 7:30 on weekdays. Very convenient for members, but employees can't have a life!!

Analyst

I worked at Alaska USA

Pros

Pretty laid back environment, great work-life balance

Cons

Lack of challenges for personal growth

A great place to start off your career

Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Fairbanks, AK
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at Alaska USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

4/10 schedule at many retail branches, allows flexible time off. 4% Employer match on 401k, monthly and quarterly bonuses, 3% salary increase every year, good medical dental and vision coverage, as well as paid holidays, if you work a weekend you get extra pay for Saturday and Sunday, as well as attendance bonuses.

Cons

Not a lot of upward movement if you want to advance, pay could be better, and monthly sales bonuses should be individual instead of split between your whole branch.

Reward those for doing great, there should be extra incentives for those who get really good sales or for those who obtain a degree while working there.

Imaging Specialist

Former Employee - Imaging Specialist
    Former Employee - Imaging Specialist

I worked at Alaska USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job with little to no skill required

Cons

Office politics were a real problem. Lots of gossip.

A great place to work.

Former Employee - Control Support Specialist in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Control Support Specialist in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The environment at AKUSA is very friendly, and there are a lot of opportunities to get involved in the community.

Cons

There is a large gap between management and the rank and file employees.

Reduce entry level employee turnover.