Albany Medical Center

www.amc.edu

Albany Medical Center Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Albany Medical Center – “albany med”

Albany Medical Center Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Barba

James J. Barba

Satisfied

Emergency Department RN (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsThe continuing Education and flexible hours

ConsThe pay and shortage of staff

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more staff

IT there seemed like a good idea at the time.

Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsThe combination of a high paced environment, large territory assignment, tickets, and special projects really forces you to become as efficient as possible. The Desktop staff is a good group of people to interact with and work along side of.

ConsThere are more assigned deadlines than there is time to complete them. When everything is "high priority" it's hard to prioritize until you're told specifically to focus on one thing and let everything else slide. A few days later you're asked for updates on the things you were told to let slide, and questioned when you haven't made any progress. Other departments (namely Client/Server) don't work well with others, and aren't expected or forced to cooperatively share information or offer assistance. Issues seem to be thrown to desktop before the department who should have been handling the problem looks at it enough to realize it really WAS theirs all along.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe expectations for assigned work compared to the deadlines is very unrealistic. Telling staff during every weekly meeting "We appreciate what you do, and we realize you're overworked, but here's more" doesn't do anything to boost morale when no one in management understands how long projects/processes really take to begin with. An SOP assumes ideal situations, and sometimes remediation is needed is complete the work correctly. But, seeing as things like this have been pushed up the chain as long as I've been working there (and it's only gotten worse), there's little to no chance that it will improve. Desktop will continue being seen as the black sheep of AMC's Information Technology world.

Enjoyable place to work.

Health Care Professional (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsLove my fellow co workers.

ConsHealthcare plans and costs not so great for a healthcare worker.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has the potential to be a great place to work

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsIf you focus on the fact that no matter what department you're in you are in your own way helping sick people get better then you can find working here rewarding. However management will go out of it's way to destroy that sentiment in you every chance they get.

ConsThe entire organization is too top heavy. Every day I feel like I'm in a new secret reality show version of Office Space. Those of us on the ground trying to get work done are constantly mired in the pathetic "high school girl" type bickering between managers, directors, VPs, and other sr. management.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house! Start at the top and start removing excess middle managers. Then do some real performance based analysis to get rid of the remaining excess weight.

Not a lot of money for a lot of work.

Analyst (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsPros - it's a job. Depending on which building you work there are some nice people. The cafeteria is decent.

ConsCons - the bathrooms are disgusting. Depending on which building parking is horrible and if you get in the garage or lot you have to pay. Have only had one raise in the years I have been here. Very bad sick time off policy. Management just does not care about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what they preach. Change some of your Human Resource policies. Offer more training. Better sick time policies. More time off. Hold people accountable when they do not do what they are supposed to do. Knock off the political b.s.

An outsider's look inside of one Albany's larger medical institutions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJob stability, used to have generous time off although health coverage was pricey

ConsToo many levels of management. Micromanaging style of many administrative types. Definitely A Game of Thrones type drama among the different department heads and senior management types

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a genuine meritocracy and reward the people who give exceptional effort and deliver results. Reduce the overhead and cull the ranks of dead-weight

Very overwhelming

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe patients make the job worth while.

ConsA lot of employees just there for a paycheck and the jobs that are most demanding are under paying.

Excellent environment for ongoing education.

ANPC (Former Employee) Albany, NY

ProsThere are many forums for ongoing education
    There are numerous educational resources
    Always an opportunity for advancement

ConsThe "culture" can be challenging if you are a sensitive person.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

I have had a great 20 years there as a pharmacist

Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsNice facility, great options for food, coffee and snacks connected to the hospital.

Consit's a very busy place. I guess some could see that as a negative. I prefer it.

Overall satisfied

ProsMost people are great to work with and really do care about each other and their patients.

Interesting environment

ConsLow pay, benefits, high employee turn over rate. Most people start here and leave shortly after being hired. Most complaints I hear of are low pay, and poor management.

Worked for Albany Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!