Albany Medical Center
www.amc.edu Albany, NY 5000+ Employees

Albany Medical Center Reviews

Updated Mar 25, 2014
Albany Medical Center – “albany med”

Albany Medical Center Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Barba

James J. Barba

Excellent environment for ongoing education.

ANPC (Former Employee)

I worked at Albany Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are many forums for ongoing education
There are numerous educational resources
Always an opportunity for advancement

ConsThe "culture" can be challenging if you are a sensitive person.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

An outsider's look inside of one Albany's larger medical institutions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Albany Medical Center

ProsJob stability, used to have generous time off although health coverage was pricey

ConsToo many levels of management. Micromanaging style of many administrative types. Definitely A Game of Thrones type drama among the different department heads and senior management types

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a genuine meritocracy and reward the people who give exceptional effort and deliver results. Reduce the overhead and cull the ranks of dead-weight

I have had a great 20 years there as a pharmacist

Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Albany Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNice facility, great options for food, coffee and snacks connected to the hospital.

Consit's a very busy place. I guess some could see that as a negative. I prefer it.

Overall satisfied

I have been working at Albany Medical Center

ProsMost people are great to work with and really do care about each other and their patients.

Interesting environment

ConsLow pay, benefits, high employee turn over rate. Most people start here and leave shortly after being hired. Most complaints I hear of are low pay, and poor management.

Programmer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Albany Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat, professional place to work. Very interesting place to work

Consnone that I can think of

Terrible

Research Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Albany Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsMost of the people who work here are good people and very kind and helpful. As a research technician if your PI has grants, you will have the opportunity to do real research and develop skills that will help if you want to go to grad school and do science as a career. Wednesdays at the cafeteria they have a turkey sandwich and its real fresh carved roast turkey. You need get there before 1:30pm to make sure you get on before they run out.

ConsLow wages. Crappy hours. Benefits are not that great. They are more expensive than other institutions. Virtually no holidays despite also being an academic institution. You only get Christmas Day, New years Day, July 4th, Labor day, Thanksgiving Day. And the PTO is not as "generous" as they advertise. As an hourly worker I only had PTO. There was no vacation days or sicks days. It accrues at a constant rate. I only got 14 days of PTO (to use as sick days, vacation or personal leave) in a year and that rate never changed. A coworker who had the same position I did several years ago had 19 days when she first started. Very difficult to get any type of raise regardless of how hard you work. You also have to pay for parking. Its $10/month to park in a parking lot and then take a shuttle to work. Its $50/month if you want to park in the garage. Most people can't afford to pay $50/month to park, and I know some people can't afford the $10/month either which means trying to park in the street and risk getting towed or ticketed if you can even find parking. If you do take the shuttle, its takes probably around 10-15min depending on what time, how many people and how many stops need to be made. Waiting for the shuttle to take you back to your car takes longer than when you wait for it to take you to work. And in winter it is the worst. Its ridiculous that we actually pay for this. I live near Albany Med and it is actually faster for me to walk to work than it is to drive and take the shuttle. But being that it is Albany, winters can get pretty cold and snowy so I chose to pay for the shuttle in winter. You get 20% off of the food in the cafeteria and the little cafes that are inside Albany med. But the prices are so ridiculously expensive and they itemize almost all the stuff they have to offer. Certain meals will come with 1 small side, but no drink. There may be one or two meal options that come with a soda and small side.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop abusing and robbing your employees.

Being part of the fabulous team at AMC has given me a great base in my nursing career!!!!

RN III (Former Employee)

I worked at Albany Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsTeamwork, dedication and respect amongst the best in the capital district.

ConsPrices in cafeteria are quite steep

It Will Be Hard To Forget

Administrative Support Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Albany Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you live in Albany, NY and can take public transportation this may be a good place for you.

ConsPay for daily parking then you have to take a shuttle to get to/from your car. Think about that, since it's usually cold and/or raining in Albany, NY. The benefits are very expensive and, you have to go to their facilities or it's out of network which impacts who can be your primary care physician. I didn't care for that. But, what was the worst was the depth of low wage earners and how the stress of their daily living impacted what I observed. Until working there, I have had experience with colleagues that were paid according to salary range labor rates and yearly cost of living increases. While working for Albany Med, I'd have to listen to coworkers worrying about their daily life problems and, the stresses of working at Albany Med like having their car towed by Albany Police (those that couldn't afford to pay for parking), asking me for money because they were hungry, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps if I wore a suit and a black robe they would take my advice, so I don't have any advice that management would want.

Opportunity is available if you are willing to work for it

Senior Applications Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Albany Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFocus on Promotion and Development from within

ConsCan be at times very beurocratic

Large hospital wiht very good reputation.

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Albany Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIntelligent colleagues. Support from co-workers and immediate boss.

ConsLarge work environment. Often working toward hospital wide reviews, and forget to think about the actual employees in their decisions

Worked for Albany Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Albany Medical Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Albany Medical Center CEO James J. Barba. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Albany Medical Center employees.