Alberta Blue Cross Reviews

3.3
Ray R. Pisani

1. System Analyst

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time

Pros

A good company to work for. Kind colleagues, health and family emphasized, Good pension compensation plan. In general, it is one of the best company in Edmonton area.

Cons

every company has come pros and cons.

2. Great workplace

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance, pension, vacation, friendly environment

Cons

Below average wages, get promises in writing.

Advice to Management

Look within for advancement before hiring externally.

3. Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home since the company is in Edmonton

Cons

Not being in a team as most of the team members are distributed across Canada or they are in Edmonton

5. Management says you're 'Valued' until you don't make numbers...then you're replaced by the next one in line

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People that become friends for life. The group activities are good. Work hours and earned time away very good. Name builds your reputation for job opportunity outside of Blue Cross.

Cons

Okay place to work unless numbers fall, if you get sick longer than a couple of days, go on vacation for more than a week, have any emotional problems such as depression or anxiety, children without help, or voice too many concerns about polices . There's no advancement, ridged, out of date thinking and technology. Low wage and high work load not associated with Sales. Must prove you're worthy to be 'Blue Cross ', Claims value to community and employees but it's all about numbers in the end. No backing from management if there's a conflict with another person. If their's a production problem, manager will turn it to a 'you' problem and that you can't take 'constructive criticizm'. For motivation; told you are replaceable if you do not shape up. Told you are a weak link.

Advice to Management

Cannot expect an employee after so many years to not write a bad review. As social media is there for client review of products, you have to remember that it goes both ways where employee can do the same thing. The client will not buy product, they buy value. If you don't value your employees and make them feel valuable, then the product is valueless. Now you can replace me with someone new to get your numbers higher. The Weakest Link

6. Great place to work

Pros

Very structured (insurance company) Very technical Nice people

Cons

Perhaps too structured, a bit unflexible

Advice to Management

Good people

7. Working at ABC is mostly a good experience. I work with a great team and a caring manager. People are caring here.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Environment is quite good, there is plenty of work to do and you feel needed.

Cons

Pay is a bit low, company is not always transparent with how promotions work.

Advice to Management

Make promotions and pay scales more readily available to your employees.

8. good company

Pros

Work life and family life is balanced

Cons

none i can think of

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

Highly disappointing - Health Services Department

Former Employee - Claims Assessor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Claims Assessor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of wonderful people who work at Blue Cross. If you actually got a chance to make those bonds with your co workers. You had to sneak in chat time... And I wish I could say that wasn't a true fact. Also, I did enjoy the flex time which allowed me to have a healthier way of living outside of work because you will not get it otherwise in this department.

Cons

The Health Services Department is a terrible work environment. The isolate you from your "team" but they contradict this by always stating the importance of team work. That is not the case at all and believe me. You are not encouraged what so ever to have conversations with your coworkers. It is highly frowned upon and the morale within the department is incredibly low because of this. The managers are always keeping an eye out for people who chat and you will get spoken to about it. They are so focused on the claims that they do not allow any socializing and people walk around there with there head hanging low. People are scared to talk there and I was uncomfortable all the time. You hear clicking of the keyboard all day and although you are not allowed to speak that does not stop the managers from having a little tea party in there offices and carrying and laughing away. The workers notice this and it is a double standard. Yes, they do promote healthy living but unfortunately the healthy part is not in the job description. It is the most toxic and uncomfortable I have ever been in a company. The department is top heavy and I really would like to know what the team manager did all day. They chose favorites to become promoted. They also treat you like children. I have never seen such amateurs in my entire life. It seemed like 30 percent of the people who were trained once hired ended up leaving. I trained with one hire and they did not even finish the training. They got out because they do not tell what the job really entails in the interview. It is misleading even though many questions were asked. I was highly disappointed when I found out how it was going to be. Very few people are sincerely happy there. Everyone pretends because you could easily lose your job there due to the company being non profit. You are replaceable. You expected to be a robot, plugging in numbers with little to no socialization. If you are a huge introvert then yes this job would be for you. Otherwise you will find out quick that this entire review was genuine and true. All factual information. I could not stand that place and despised going in every single day. It is a depressing job. You couldn't pay me enough money in the world to go back there.

Advice to Management

Mangers: I hope you know when meeting request go onto your outlook they are synced with the IM messenger. Workers do notice when you are in your offices having a tea party and your status is not "in a meeting" the doors are paper thin. We can hear you talking and laughing. No one respects any of you because of this. You cannot tell people not to chat and then turn around and play the higher power card.

review

Former Employee - Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pros for this company are Flexibility

Cons

cons are Low Pay No Gowth

11. Great employer, would recommend

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is lots of room and opportunities for advancement, moving around. The company values having a work/life balance for their staff in which some departments/jobs allow for flexible work hours. They offer educational assistance to employees and allow you to further your education/studies. The benefits were good along with many other perks that were provided such as discount on movie tickets, fitness facility and classes and other opportunities.

Cons

As it is a non-for-profit org the pay was not satisfying and minimal opportunities for salary increases. There can be some politics in upper management (at least in my experience and last dept)

RSS Feed </> Embed