Alberta Blue Cross

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014
3.3

Ray R. Pisani

A great company to set roots

Current Employee - Manager  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been working for Blue Cross for 17 years. Alberta Blue Cross is a great value-based company. I have personally benefited from the "wellness & Balanced Lifestyle" as the management team from all levels are always very supportive when staff is facing personal or family challenges; I have had the best support and understanding when I needed it - a rare commodity for a large corporation.

"Continuous Learning" is another salient value in this corporation. Since I joined Alberta Blue Cross, I have been supported in several training and professional development initiatives - ranging from technical, to project management, to a formal University business degree. The support is exceptional.

If you are willing to invest in yourself and this company, Alberta Blue Cross is eager to invest in your future and your career.

Alberta Blue Cross is highly involved in our community with a variety of programs ranging from charitable fund raising, to an excellent summer student program for University students. It is not uncommon for talent to be identified at the early stages from summer students. Alberta Blue Cross is willing to invest in this young talent and often offers full time employment to our students upon graduation.

Alberta Blue Cross fosters loyalty through their H.R. and management policies; it is not uncommon to meet employees ranging from 10 to 30 years of service.

Cons

As Alberta Blue Cross is a not-for profit organization, salary ranges at times may be a few points behind market average. However, this is only a negative aspect if a new potential employee, or an existing employee, is focused on just that part of the compensation package.

Every employee can take advantage of the educational funding, as well as the incredible flexibility when needed - thus the life/work balance core value. This flexibility and support for education not only balances but outweighs the minor salary gap which may exist for certain positions.

Management should continue to apply current values and protect their staff. As large corporate projects become active, employees may be required to work longer than normal hours. The Management Team needs to be vigilant that our value of "Wellness & Balanced Lifestyle" is not eroded due to workload.

I have seen and experience this in the past, however, upon completion, Alberta Blue Cross Management Team is ready to switch back to our balance between work and personal/family life. Keep doing this. Keep supporting the staff and Alberta Blue Cross will continue to be a preferred employer.

Great Company!!

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked for Blue Cross for over 12 years. Blue Cross has proven to be a progressive, community oriented organization which I am proud to be part of. My work is challenging, the people are great, and the atmosphere of the company is supportive.

Cons

Great company, absolutely no cons!

The Management Team in the department I work for are very supportive, knowledgeable, and well respected by staff.

Best place to work for work/life balance

Former Employee - Systems Analyst III  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst III in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Culture, Friendly People, Great Benefits

Cons

Can't think of any. I had a good time.

Keep doing what you're doing

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross

Pros

Steady work, great workplace. nice manager.

Cons

No challenge, slow salary raise

Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work-life balance, great health oriented company, job stability. good company to have on your CV.

Cons

growth within the company can be frustrating at times. For a health benefit company the health plan is OK. pay is below average.

Good experience

Former Employee - Programmer  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Programmer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, flexible work hours (depends on department), staff activities

Cons

Lower salaries, very small raises, company is slow to make decisions, slow technology adoption

Good

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross

Pros

Freinedly people easily to mingle overall good

Cons

Nothing Work lagging More meetings

Overall a positive experience here so far.

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Have been with the company for over 6 years, enjoy my work and coworkers are great. Personally really like that ABC provides a worthwhile service to Albertans and is not-for-profit, also that we have a real commitment to community involvement and include employees in this.

Cons

Pay isn't top in the market but that's a trade off for having a good pension, decent time off and other benefits.

A very unusual hybrid of corporate and government styles

Former Employee - Web Designer  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time for less than a year

Pros

A relaxed work environment.
    Very friendly coworkers.
    Varied work tasks.
    Lots of work to do - several websites as well as an intranet provided no shortage of duties and responsibilities.
    Management was truly supportive and friendly. A very close but accessible group of people with no egos or axes to grind. Positive, and almost familial atmosphere.
    Good security without going overboard.

Cons

No real possibility of advancement but that may be attributed to the nature of the position.
    No possibility of demonstrating value in order to advance or gain responsibility. Remuneration is based on time served.

Avoid the meeting culture. Too many meetings as opposed to allowing individuals to take initiative and make decisions indepently.

The company has everything which can keep you working for a long time

Current Employee - Oracle Fusion Middleware Administrator  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Oracle Fusion Middleware Administrator in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nice security, people are welcoming and good infrastructure of the building
    The building is in downtown
    they offer lots of benefits
    They perserve values and ethics
    Junior level employee can talk to the senior level person directly

Cons

there is less interaction within departments
    The company keeps one of the most difficult hiring procedures
    The pay is below average

Keep up the good work

Worked for Alberta Blue Cross? Contribute to the Community!