Alberta Cancer Board

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Linda Mickelson

A good stepping stone for non-clinical workers

Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Cancer Board full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, large organization, great pension plan

ConsNow part of Alberta Health Services

My experience was positive. My colleagues were wonderful.

Marketing & Communications Management Consultant (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Cancer Board as a contractor for less than a year

ProsMy contract salary was $65 per hour for 8 hours per day, 7 days per week. Now the organization is part of Alberta Health Services

ConsThe Calgary Social Marketing leader was difficult to work with, lacked leadership skills, and was friends with her favorite employee. I was far more qualified in the field than my team leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't favor some employees over others. Avoid gossiping and spreading rumors. Act professionally and handle yourself with dignity, poise, and grace. Learn as much as you can about the field in which you work. Get a master's degree and become accredited as I and others in the field have.

A work atmosphere , but limited growth

Technical (Non-patient) (Former Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Cancer Board

ProsA very caring and understanding environment. Good work life balance. several community activities and ongoing staff recognition.

Consthe bureaucratic aspect of internal resource management limits job growth and efficiency gains. Unions and policies restrict 'out of the box' thinking
You had better be OK, with working around terminally ill patients on a regular basis - this can get depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe cautious about turning away some of the brightest and most ambitious employees due to over regulation or inflexibility. Look at what the private sector is doing to attract talent, and then adapt slightly to be more open to new ideas.

Could be better and maybe it is by now

Implementation Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alberta Cancer Board

ProsWhat the cancer board does in general is admirable. The majority of the clinical staff is a unique breed of individual as they are some of the most optimistic and positive people you will meet.

ConsFor my particular area felt management was poor and there was a general lack of motivation within the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose the gap between the technical and strategic management, this will help achieve IS objectives. Understand that in healthcare there is also a unique contributor to this process, the clinicians and there input is crucial to successful implementation.

Worked for Alberta Cancer Board? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alberta Cancer Board reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alberta Cancer Board CEO Linda Mickelson. All reviews posted anonymously by Alberta Cancer Board employees.