Alberta Cancer Board Reviews

Reset
2.7
Linda Mickelson

1. A good stepping stone for non-clinical workers

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Cancer Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, large organization, great pension plan

Cons

Now part of Alberta Health Services

2. My experience was positive. My colleagues were wonderful.

Former Contractor - Marketing & Communications Management Consultant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Cancer Board as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

My contract salary was $65 per hour for 8 hours per day, 7 days per week. Now the organization is part of Alberta Health Services

Cons

The Calgary Social Marketing leader was difficult to work with, lacked leadership skills, and was friends with her favorite employee. I was far more qualified in the field than my team leader.

Advice to Management

Don't favor some employees over others. Avoid gossiping and spreading rumors. Act professionally and handle yourself with dignity, poise, and grace. Learn as much as you can about the field in which you work. Get a master's degree and become accredited as I and others in the field have.

3. A work atmosphere , but limited growth

Former Employee - Technical (Non-patient) in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technical (Non-patient) in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Alberta Cancer Board

Pros

A very caring and understanding environment. Good work life balance. several community activities and ongoing staff recognition.

Cons

the bureaucratic aspect of internal resource management limits job growth and efficiency gains. Unions and policies restrict 'out of the box' thinking
    You had better be OK, with working around terminally ill patients on a regular basis - this can get depressing.

Advice to Management

Be cautious about turning away some of the brightest and most ambitious employees due to over regulation or inflexibility. Look at what the private sector is doing to attract talent, and then adapt slightly to be more open to new ideas.

5. Could be better and maybe it is by now

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist

I have been working at Alberta Cancer Board

Pros

What the cancer board does in general is admirable. The majority of the clinical staff is a unique breed of individual as they are some of the most optimistic and positive people you will meet.

Cons

For my particular area felt management was poor and there was a general lack of motivation within the department.

Advice to Management

Close the gap between the technical and strategic management, this will help achieve IS objectives. Understand that in healthcare there is also a unique contributor to this process, the clinicians and there input is crucial to successful implementation.

RSS Feed </> Embed