Alberta Motor Association

Add Photos

Don Smitten

TYLF - Treat You Like Friends & Family

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsThe culture and ability to go above and beyond for members.

ConsBusiness units do not easily work well together (eg travel vs. insurance)

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that we are all AMA and working towards a common goal.

Not that great

ProsLook good on the outside. Everybody knows the company.
    Co-workers are nice people in general

ConsManagement - micro managing and double standards. If employee gets the job done, it shouldn't matter how I do it. I spend more time contemplating how to deal with supervisors instead of doing actual work

Leadership - they don't really take your advices for which you were hired for. Kinda old-schooled.

Work is boring, repetitive, way too much manual work which could totally be automated. By the way, pay is terrible.

Colleagues fantastic - upper management on a different moral and ethical planet.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsThe best things about working for AMA are that you can help people and make them feel like they are part of our family - you really can make a difference.

ConsThe not so good part of working at AMA would be the bendable rules and questionable ethics of bodies over the senior management level.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Mr MacDonald were to walk in and see how things were being conducted internally, he would not be pleased as he came from a time where his word and his handshake were his contract. Leadership should be like that.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

TYLF

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsCompany that actually cares for their employees.

ConsEvery situation is treated on a case by case basis which could promote inequity.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure you are talking to the people that carry out the tasks involved in taking the direction you steer the company in.

not good.

Travel Agent (Former Employee)

ProsIt's easy to meet lots of good people. Still have allot of friends left over from working at AMA

ConsManagement is pretty terrible, at least in my store. I experienced a significant amount of harassment, to the point of upsetting other staff members. in addition, the pay is terrible. Could make the same money flipping burgers.

Better keep looking

Advanced Registry Agent (Former Employee)
    Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsNice people, good benefits, great discounts

ConsOver worked, management never listened, always understaffed causing employees from other centres having to be brought in, constant stress.
    Always had to work late to cover staffing shortage.
    Building falling apart

Advice to Senior ManagementThe manager of the department should have at least the slightest idea about the team he/she is managing and what is it they do.

Interesting business and company but poor leadership

Pros- Management doesn't really understand technology so they don't ask a lot of questions about your solutions

Cons- Management doesn't really understand technology when they decide a solution or product they will not listen to the people they have hired to do that job
    - dress code for non public facing staff: doesn't make a lot of sense. The kind of pants I wear does not affect my productivity
    - outdate facility. Needs to be updated or non public facing teams should be moved to better facilities

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people you've hired to do a certain job/role.

Like a family

Representative (Current Employee)
    Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsThe co-workers are very nice, we took care of each other when we were down and cheered each other up. We were always entitled to our opinions.

ConsI don't remember the cons, I just really miss that place! I guess I could say with any job, at times it was very repetitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for listening to us and looking out for us.

Great Company

Member Services Representative (Former Employee)
    Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsAwesome benefits & perks, great people & culture, great vacation time, management friendly & approachable

Cons-Job itself was repetitive and non-challenging

Enjoyed the work, the management...uhhh not so much!

Auto Club/Membership Counsellor (Former Employee)
    Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsLoved working in the Auto Club, planning people's trips and getting accomodations for them. Could have done it for a long, long time and been very happy! LOVED going on FAM (familiarization) trips.

ConsThe management was so petty. I can just remember the Auto Club manager standing by the entrance/exit gate with her finger on her watch making sure we got back from breaks/lunch on time. I ofteen refer to it as a glorified daycare.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack off and let your employees do their jobs. You won't regret it, we can manage just fine without being micro-managed.
    When you ask us to fill out a survey on the working conditions, read them and then DO something about it.

Worked for Alberta Motor Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alberta Motor Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alberta Motor Association CEO Don Smitten. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Alberta Motor Association employees.