Albuquerque Public Schools

Add Photos

Albuquerque Public Schools Superintendent Winston Brooks

Winston Brooks

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I have been working for APS for 15 years as a Special Education Teacher/Head Special Education Teacher.

Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsI currently work for the only PBL school of choice in APS, which is a great professional opportunity.

ConsA 1% raise in the last 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure equitable pay with other professions.

Love ,my job, frustrated with salary

SLP (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsGreat kids, great teachers, love job

ConsHR, union, 3 tier salary system

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to get rid of 3 tier pay system

Solid, stable job, but the pay is awful

Teacher (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe kids are amazing, even at the "rough" schools. You get a steady paycheck, but it is whittled away by increasing contributions to retirement and insurance. No raise in five years. it's probably fine for single people, but tough to make ends meet for families

ConsOnly real cons are the pay.

A lot of people think that the kids are unmotivated and "tough", but if you love teaching, and are open minded, you will be fine.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just eh...

Teacher (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsGreat hours, don't have a manager over you consistently.

ConsWorst benefits ever! Pay scale is horrible, as well

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Levels in teachers; time doesn't make you a better teacher.

Charter schools rock

Teacher (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

Proscharters school jobs better than main stream public school

Conslow salary, no rewards for long term teachers

Very Professional group of teachers and administrators

ProsTeamwork

ConsSalary
    Isolation
    Benefit deductions too high
    Not enough annual raises

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to be more visible and more teacher recognition

My time at APS was overall positive and I got to be very motivated about working with Special Needs individuals.

Community Support Liaison (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe site I worked at was flexible regarding my whereabouts and allowed me to structure my own day within guidelines. I got to be pretty close to the students and enjoyed working within the Behavior Intervention Programs. Also having the summers off was a bonus.

ConsThe pay was not as good as other competing employers, but the benefits were excellent which made the job work for me. The mandatory staff meetings were a legal obligation, but sometimes the district trainings were a waste of time that I could have spent working on a portfolio or helping out a student.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe experience could have been better if the pay had matched what I put into it. Also, there should be a better process for mileage reimbursements.

School staff is great, but district management is terrible and their policies are both uninformed and abusive.

(Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsIt feels good to know that you're helping students learn.
    The people within the actual schools are often really nice, and many of the schools have many very good people working at the school.
    You get a significant amount of time off. It's nice to have time to spend with family.

ConsYour salary will be posted publicly.
    The district frequently furloughs non-union employees, so your "salary" isn't what you actually end up getting paid, and because union employees are not furloughed, APS doesn't save as much money on furlough days, giving them more incentive to furlough you.
    If you're a non-union employee, you don't get paid during the summer, so in many cases you won't even make enough to live off of.
    The district-level people often don't know what they're doing, or actually may but just do a terrible job.
    The people at the highest levels don't seem to have any understanding of what happens in the actual schools. They make edicts about policies that the school staff have to follow, but don't have any idea about the results of those changes. There is a significant lack of communication aside from those edicts.
    The district wastes money buying computer equipment when it's not needed and wastes money on $5000 smartboards that don't even get used.
    Their web sites are down very very frequently and without warning. SchoolMax is down almost as much as it's up.
    Many companies won't do business with APS because APS doesn't pay its bills, so it's hard to get certain supplies that you need without buying them yourself.
    I hope you remember your username. They've changed it something like five times within the past two years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the staff in the individual schools. Find out what happens in the individual schools. And stop treating your employees so poorly.

Albuquerque schools better than most

Teacher (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsAlbuquerque public schools provides good colleagues.

ConsNot much upward mobility possible. That comes with the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive teachers opportunities to earn significant bonuses.

Educational Assistant Review

Educational Assistant (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe best reason to work in the school system is to have the summers and holidays off and paid.

ConsThe pay at this job, on the top of the scale, is scraping poverty level. No single person could survive on what the pay is.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for. If you value the lives of children, you should invest in them. In doing so, you will pay a salary to gain the best teachers in the business. If a teacher should fail to succeed they should be released, no matter how long they have worked in the school system. Keeping employees simply because the union mandates they cannot be fired because of longevity is ridiculous. It hurts the moral of other employees and creates an unhappy work environment.

Worked for Albuquerque Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!