Alcatel-Lucent

3.2 1,154 reviews

Alcatel-Lucent CEO Michel Combes

Michel Combes

1,154 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "No unnecessary process, excellent work life balance, some of the best minds to work with"
    in 118 reviews
  • "work from home or the office very flexible in how you manage your own time in most positions"
    in 41 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has struggled to pull it together in the last seven years"
    in 28 reviews
  • "upper management is concerned with customer satisfaction but not employee satisfaction"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Alcatel-Lucent great place to learn

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
Naperville, IL

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou have the opportunity to learn depending of the department you work and the interest you put.
It is a global company, starting to recover a solid position in the telecommunication market.
Solid market share in USA.
Very innovative products.
Study benefits

ConsSalaries freeze, very few opportunities to grow, promotions are not rewarded properly. Benefits such as 401k changed recently. It is currently under a restructuring, which means many organizational changes that are not appreciated by the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany old people in management positions that don't want to retire, those positions needs to be open for new young management personal. Leadership is starting to look better with the new CEO, looks like it has a clear understanding of the current company situation and what to do to make the company more profitable.

Member of Technical Staff

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)
Murray Hill, NJ

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNice and relaxed work environment., a lot of smart colleagues. Friendly. Good benefit

ConsWhat can you expect for a company keep loosing money?

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! It's 21th century. Figure out a way to save this great company and DO IT!

Great roots, desperately in need of transformation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBell Labs heritage.
Global reach, especially China
Strong management on the networks side, as well as Motive.

ConsMonopoly culture at its core. Desperately need new blood.
Complex management structure
Lost years chasing fluffy visions like application enablement instead of investing in their core business
Impossible to rightsize the French employee base

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus. Nokia Siemens did it.

RAN Engineer 4g/3g

LTE RAN Engineer (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent work environnement. Surrounded by Hoghly skilled people

ConsCompensation, Company strategy, Very competitve market

Highly Trained in Accounts Receivable.

Cash Applications Clerk (Former Employee)
Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

ProsManagers wanted the job do and completed on a daily basic. However they were very flexible working with me sometime concerning time. For me it was a excellent company to work for. I didn't like it I Love working there.

ConsI very well enjoyed my 25 years of services at the company. Only hate the job was out sourced. Sad when my job ended.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople work well when the manager shows that they have confident in a worker.

Mostly enjoyable! 10 years, management was relatively stable up to the end of my time there

Engineer (Former Employee)
Petaluma, CA

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAllowance for job flexibility was wonderful ! Change job functions and responsibilities three times while there. Excellent training opportunities provided and encouraged.

ConsOutsourcing and Exporting of manufacturing and testing jobs, after the acquisition by Alcatel-USA . Loss of continuity in legacy information.

Good, solid company to work for

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 8 years

ProsExcellent working environment at the local level. Very committed employees and direct supervision is some of the best I have experienced in my career.

ConsLike most telecom companies, the threat of downsizing, changing technology and customers attempting to change companies based on the lowest cost creates a stressful environment. European influences and attitude toward the North American operations cause some internal turmoil in the company but no more than any multinational organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage and make personnel decisions based on profit contribution to the company not the ease of laying off workers in a more business friendly environment.

Outsourcing Finance Functions

Finance Manager (Current Employee)
New Providence, NJ

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPositive changes to focus on what company does best

ConsToo much outsourcing; in-house experience will be lost

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate loss of experience when outsourcing and invest in employee development

Good people, struggling financially

Austin, TX

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time

ProsMost of the folks I work with have families and need good work-life balance, which Alcatel-Lucent provides. As long as you deliver on time and with high quality, ALU is very accommodating in terms of hours and even virtual work if you prove yourself reliable. There will be periods when you have to work well above the minimum, as at most jobs these days, but it is not constant. Time-off policies are generous, however, and the culture is such that there is no moral odor on taking earned vacations. The people, especially in the Motive Austin facility, are fantastic. Being a multi-national global company, ALU gives you many opportunities to work with people of different countries and cultures, which is a great learning experience. ALU also has a university with lots of free online courses you can take anytime along with access to free online libraries.

ConsBecause the company is financially challenged right now, opportunities for upward career movement can be limited, depending on what you do. That is not to say personal growth is limited - if you are engaged, you will find opportunities for personal growth everywhere as there is tons of need for people who can step up and help out. That said, bonuses are very limited and salary increases are nil right now. If the Shift Plan succeeds, I expect this will turn around. Departments are frequently understaffed; while you will still probably have good work-life balance, you may find yourself moved from project to project. For some this is a pro; for others, it's frustrating because they never get a chance to learn the products deeply.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have started to communicate very well through the Shift Plan. Please keep doing so. Drop the "Alcatel-Lucent Way" motto - it sounds phony. You're on the right track with the new incentive plan this year - give people reasons to keep contributions coming when you're not giving salary increases. Really strict Quality processes are very very difficult to meet when we're as understaffed as we are.

Great place to work with cutting-edge technologies.

Systems Integration and Test Engineer (Current Employee)
Plano, TX

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany offers great employee benefits and challenging work environment.

ConsCompany has been downsizing for years. Do more work with less. Low morale.

Worked for Alcatel-Lucent? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alcatel-Lucent reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alcatel-Lucent CEO Michel Combes. All 1,154 reviews posted anonymously by Alcatel-Lucent employees.