Alcatel-Lucent

Alcatel-Lucent CEO Michel Combes

Michel Combes

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall positive experience

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Kanata, ON (Canada)

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work/life balance. Friendly environment with great people to work with. Convenient location with good access to nature for walks etc. On site gym with 24x7 access was a great bonues.

ConsBusiness outlook not that great for the wireless business. Career advancement limited as there is not much movement of people at the management level.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus developing the Kanata location as there is a great talent pool.

Good/OK employer, outlook is always made to seem like doom and gloom to avoid promotions, raises and career development.

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years. Peers are nice, the work environment is good and the job is fairly stable - if you work extra hard. Flexible work hours but you WILL need to bring your work home with you if you want to be home for supper. Some Great people left.

ConsAs a whole the company has been on a constant decline for over a decade now. Sustaining life through acquisition and mergers. Was awesome at the start but now there's not much to get excited about. Risky career development - choose wisely. Not as much opportunity to grow as one would think. Not agile, practice Kanban though. You do not necessarily get what you put in - long hours for a pat on the back. No salary increase in years and the incentive plan is rarely paid out. Great people make great companies .. we are down on the amount of great people left.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your people, use internal resources efficiently instead of hiring externally, reward ALL employees who help build the company, help set out clear career paths. SHARE THE WEALTH.

Nice people, good opportunities

Student (Former Employee)
Kanata, ON (Canada)

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood workplace. Diverse teams, so you can move around. Good vacation compared to other companies. They have team outings too, which are a lot of fun if you have cool coworkers!

ConsAllow Engineers to run with their own ideas and have more freedom ...

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow Engineers to run with their own ideas and have more freedom ...

Dynamic and challenging environment

Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 5 years

Proschallenging work, great support for learning.

ConsMerger of Alcatel and Lucent led to a lot of confusion with respect to processes and 'empire building'.

OK if your lazy but highly unorganized and full of red tape. Almost impossible to get a raise.

Senior Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEasy and flexibile work hours. Good vacation and benefits.

ConsChance of promotion or a raise are few and far between. Terrible communication from the top and a bloated middle management layer. How about 4 different bosses in 2 years and never having met one face to face.

Bad company results, constant layoffs and shrinking stock price makes for ultra low morale and you always wonder if your next to go.

Company is full of managers with no people skills that have simply been promoted due to length of time employed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim middle management and make employees having a local boss a priority.

Good Experience at Alcatel-Lucent

Senior QA Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent work/personal life balance. Flex work hours

ConsHard to be promoted, get pay raises.

Good for people with families, not good for career growth.

Junior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Kanata, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than a year

ProsVery relaxed work culture. 4 weeks of vacation. 7.5 hour work days. No micromanagement. Great for work life balance.

ConsNo growth in the foreseeable future for the company thus for many of its employees. Company is going through a lot of layoffs right now and cutting many product lines. Overall mood is not optimistic. Employees are not proud of their employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a bit more process. People come to work and take things very easy. This is a private sector company yet the work environment seems like a bureaucratic government department's.
Hold more regular 1 on 1s with the employees to track progress and catch issues early.

Excellent.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Kanata, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent

ProsAbility to try different roles, learn different skills, work with excellent people,

ConsCompany is still trying to get it's feet back on solid ground.

Worked for Alcatel-Lucent? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alcatel-Lucent reviews and ratings in Kanata, ON — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alcatel-Lucent CEO Michel Combes. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Alcatel-Lucent employees.