Alcatel-Lucent

Alcatel-Lucent Reviews in Naperville, IL

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Alcatel-Lucent CEO Michel Combes

Michel Combes

Pros
  • Good work/life balance if you work 9 to 5 and expect nothing but to play the survival game(in 132 reviews)

• good work culture, working on latest technology(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • decision of senior management not following a strategic insight but based on non grounded judgmental view(in 30 reviews)

• Continual upper management turnover results in the resetting of goals and the loss of momentum(in 22 reviews)

62 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

good

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

Prosprocess-oriented, a lot of tranining, mentor and mentees

Constime to market sometimes is slow than competitors

Advice to Senior Managementnone

10 highest priority items - oxymoron if there ever was a better one

LTE (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

Proswork on fairly new technologies, R&D still going

Conslayoffs everywhere, work piles up from those that left, and that work is all ... highest priority

Advice to Senior Management(to executive mgmnt) - get lost, there is more and more management levels sucking up the money that can be used for R&D

Lots of deadwood in lower level managers and department heads, some engineers too.

Distinguished Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsWork with some very smart and dedicated engineers who just love their work, and are willing to share their knowledge.

ConsThere are managers and department heads in some areas who are way past their prime. All they are interested in is getting their paycheck and be left alone. They don't want to know or do anything about incompetence. All that an engineer has to say is, "I don't know" and the work will fall on someone else. You raise an issue and you own it. 80% of the work is done by 20% of the engineers, yet the bonus and pay raises are all even. My manager said, "that is the world is that way, 80/20". So, looking to move to another area where the "Technical Manager" is really technical, more like a project leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementShuffle the managers and department heads. Upper management should come and meet with the lead engineers and find out what is working and what isn't. Have surprise visits and join group meetings to weed out poor management. After meeting with the lead engineers, go meet their immediate managers. If you find the managers are out of sync with the lead engineers, it is time for those managers to go. If not, those lead engineers will be gone soon and what you have left are worthless managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

29 years with Bell Labs/Lucent/ALU

Distinguished Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsVery flexible work hours, good engineers to work with, good products overall, telecommuting available in many cases

Constoo many hours and too much out-of-hours work, not many opportunities for growth, no raises and minor bonuses in the last several years

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to keep up with the market, take care of your people as they are your biggest asset. Most employees feel the company does not treat them well and is more concerned with taking more away than providing for a good work environment.

Interesting technologies with uncertain future

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsThe technologies being worked with, the beautiful buildings and grounds, and the knowledgeable co-workers were wonderful.

ConsThere were many people who were jaded about not having raises in a long time. The management at meetings even joked about it, not in a derogatory manner, but in commiseration with the engineers. While I was there, yet another round of layoffs were to occur.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on what makes Alcatel-Lucent good. For the North American region, drop the "Alcatel" name since nobody associates "Alcatel-Lucent" with the former "Lucent Technologies", and much less with Bell Labs. Finally, stop laying off your core knowledge base and your products will improve.

Bumpy roads eventually smooth out.

Technical Manager (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsGood, smart employees. Strong focus on the customer.

ConsLack of accountability at manager/middle manager levels. Unproductive performance appraisal process. Autocratic/bureaucratic tendencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly empower your people rather than simply using it as a corporate catchphrase.

Good people, tough times

Manager (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsIt's a good company with a strong technology background. I really enjoy working with my colleagues here and I've seen decent opportunities for growth.

ConsThe telecom market has continued to hammer us, making regular compensation increases a thing of the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being top-down, allow more grassroots leadership.

Company needs management calibre

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsGood team players but not so good Management

ConsLearned a lot from peers and customers

Advice to Senior ManagementProactively involve with employees

Overall ALU is good place to work

Integration Engineer (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsI thing good about working in ALU is Flex hours.

ConsDid not get a pay raise for a long time

I spent last 36 years starting with Western Electric, ... , Alcatel-Lucent (one company) overall a positive experience.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsChallenging technical work in all aspects of large and complex software systems.
    I am working with very good engineers on wireless networks.
    The immediate management is good, we are mostly working in very positive cooperative mode.
    The work hours are flexible, and telecommuting is OK when type of work allows it.
    Dress code does not exist :)
    Benefits are still good.

ConsLast 13 years the corporation was shrinking, this brought layoffs, spinoffs and in general cycles of job insecurity. It can get very stressful.
    Upper management often does not share information with its work force, especially at times of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop outsourcing jobs to low cost centers... China, India, Romania ... at every cost.
    Stop giving clever names to smooth over layoffs, no one likes to hear expressions like synergy, human resource opportunity, shift plan, when al that it means is a layoff.

Worked for Alcatel-Lucent? Contribute to the Community!