Alcatel-Lucent Reviews

Reset
2.7
Alcatel-Lucent CEO Michel Combes
Michel Combes

Pros
  • Good Work life balance at company (in 142 reviews)

• good work culture, working on latest technology (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a great middle & Senior Management team (in 31 reviews)

• There hasn't been a salary increase since 2010 (in 30 reviews)

1. Inspiring company. Inspiring coworkers.

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Murray Hill, NJ

Pros

From the first time I walked into the Murray Hill headquarters, I felt a major lift in stature and pride. I was employed for two separate periods, first at Lucent for six years, then at Alcatel-Lucent for one year. In all situations my supervisor or manager was exceptionally qualified, foresighted, personable. Early in my tenure, when they were more financially secure, the training provided has been key to my success as an engineer. I grew up 6000 feet from Murray Hill. You could see a microwave tower from the end of our street. I used to dream, that if I really strived, maybe someday I could work there. It came true.

Cons

My last manager, who was responsible for the design of substantial profit making wireless equipment, had six levels of managers above him. What in the name of good sense did they do up there other than keep themselves employed.

Advice to Management

Why does the property management group seem to have the ultimate say in matters that hinder efficiency.

Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Murray Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Murray Hill, NJ

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent (More than 5 years)

Pros

Marketing was a fun and creative environment. Ability to think out of the box and non-traditional tactics which is great for a personal learning curve and start personally competitive.

Cons

Management still til this day only care about their own personal agendas. Being the best and most creative and creative positive sales results from marketing initiatives means nothing in ALU. I'd say 90 percent of people still there are just happy to have a job. Nothing more or less. Layoffs are so stressful and ongoing. Always seeing the best of the best getting the ax but those who are best rubbing upper management are saved.

Advice to Management

Is the really any management? ?? Most of the Directors just carry the name. Nobody gives direction. Management needs to get their act together. Keep selling pays off the business off, mergers, layoffs...sooooo unhealthy. Try just running a business by appreciating your employees and customers and provide great product and support and it would get better. This company is just going through a slow dying process like a worm that keeps getting parts cut off and tries to restore itself.

Best Days Behind

Former Employee - Distinguished Member of Technical Staff - Wireless Testing in Murray Hill, NJ

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good team environment. Brilliant peers. Good facilities. Management has always been flexible on work hours and telecommuting arrangements. Rarely have I experienced a "micro-manager" boss. Generally treated as professionals. Until recently, high performers have been protected from layoffs.

Cons

Continuous layoffs for 15+ years takes its toll on morale. The Alcatel merger added 3 levels of management toward the top. Not an especially slimming look. Flat pay for many years. Floundering strategic direction. You get the picture.

Advice to Management

I understand the need to spruce up the deck before a (Nokia) deal. Or is it the next quarterly report? Not sure a shovel is the right tool to use. Though they will probably love what you've done.

5. Member of Technical Stff

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always working with leading edge technology. Engineering staff (especially the Bell Labs Engineers) are top notch. Relaxed environment, not micro-managed.

Cons

Telecom Industry is becoming very competitive. Alcatel-Lucent has been reducing their work force for nearly 15 years and they're still in deep trouble. That's why they keep merging with other companies and/or being bought out.

6. The Titanic. Grab a life vest and GET OUT!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Professor Svcs in Murray Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Professor Svcs in Murray Hill, NJ

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sate of the art technology Exposure to various customers with various environments

Cons

ALU is too top heavy with management that add no value After years of dangling a carrot in front of your face for a promotion you will finally achieve it but it will be with minimal pay increase and twice as much responsibility. Your immediate manager has no power so don't blame them for a raise that seems to never show up it is the upper management (Sr. Directors) that siphon all the money and claim there is no bonus's or raises this year. Their pay range is extremely low to what your market value is if you really know your craft. Test the market to find your true value. It seems to be a revolving door with the CEO's. Make up some fake plan about CHANGE, work your engineers harder and claim there is a freeze on funds so they don't expect any additional money. Run the company in the ground even further. Cash in on your contract after a few years of failure then grab your golden parachute and sail off on your yacht leaving the rest of the hard workers on the TITANIC treading water before they sink. Maybe Nokia will stop this.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the management dead weight and pay your engineers who are the ONLY reason you are generating revenue. The management structure is what really needs a re-org. Nokia please clean house with some of the incompetent management and fix the bonus/compensation structure to be more competitive with the market.

7. ALU

Former Employee - Installation Supervisor in Sicklerville, NJ
    Former Employee - Installation Supervisor in Sicklerville, NJ

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

promotions are possible if you put the time in, good benefits and pay is competitive to other companies. worked from home office

Cons

it is too large of an international company. people are treated more as number then as a person / employee.

Advice to Management

take a good look at the people who you have and remember that most of the people left are the ones that have made it through 3 company name changes and there is a reason why they are still standing after 10's of thousands of lay offs through the years

8. Charles Review of ALU

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Howell, NJ
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Howell, NJ

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work with are some of the most brilliant people you may meet.

Cons

Company is still trying to re-define itself. So there is constant churn in structure, the business and therefore a lot of good and great people are always being asked to leave the company due to restructuring plans.

Advice to Management

I don't know.

Senior Auditor

Former Employee - Auditor in Roseland, NJ
    Former Employee - Auditor in Roseland, NJ

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very easy going....people can work from home and work the schedule they like.

Cons

Everyone is miserable....training is minimal...little room for advancement.

Okay company but very few perks & constant layoffs

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Murray Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Murray Hill, NJ

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Several people are able to work from home (if they have that type of job) so convenience is a plus. Have a decent amount for tuition reimbursement (as compared to other companies). About $7K/yr.

Cons

Constant layoffs. They come in waves. No raises. Can't carry over or cash out unused vacation days. Absolutely no perks (no company picnics, no free water cooler, no free coffee, etc)

Advice to Management

Try to value the human capital you have instead of outsourcing almost every department out to India. Hoping new changes now that Nokia has taken over.

11. Very smart people zero career growth

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Murray Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Murray Hill, NJ

Pros

amazingly experienced colleagues who are willing to share their knowledge. i owe my current position and knowledge to those few years at ALU.

Cons

bad management, no pay raise, bonus, nothing, absolutely nothing. no incentive for you to work there.

Advice to Management

not sure at this stage what will help, i think ALU is a lost cause.

Showing 108 of 1,774 reviews