Alcatel-Lucent

Updated Jul 20, 2014

3.2 1,264 reviews

Alcatel-Lucent CEO Michel Combes

Michel Combes

Pros
  • Good work/life balance if you work 9 to 5 and expect nothing but to play the survival game(in 132 reviews)

• good work culture, working on latest technology(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • decision of senior management not following a strategic insight but based on non grounded judgmental view(in 30 reviews)

• Continual upper management turnover results in the resetting of goals and the loss of momentum(in 22 reviews)

1,264 Employee Reviews

none

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Andover, MA

Prosgood company with talented staff

ConsI have nothing bad to say here

Advice to Senior Managementna

good

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

Prosprocess-oriented, a lot of tranining, mentor and mentees

Constime to market sometimes is slow than competitors

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Large very stable global organiztion but too much management overlay and internal politics for my taste.

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSolid company that's not going bankruot anytime soon...

ConsToo much internl politics, difficult to get things done quickly...

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim down Management overly, remove internl rodblocks nd enble your employees to flourish...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ALU

ProsFlexible, nice work environment, learning opportunities

ConsUnorganized, poor financial performance, no motivation

one of the top telecoms

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Murray Hill, NJ

Proscompany offers decent compensation and flexible work hours; if you happen to be working in the right departments, challenging projects abound; generally nice people

Constoo much turf war fighting among management; silo mentality is still prevalent; lack of young blood could stymie future innovation;

Advice to Senior Managementneed to continue the Bell Labs tradition of innovation;

Good experience in working as an Intern

Sprint Program Manager (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

Prosflexible timing, good colleagues, diverse learning place, good management, friendly

ConsTransportation, Lesser pay, N/A, N/A, N/A

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Very thankful for my career at ALU

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI have been with this company for MANY years, and it has been good to me when I look back over my entire career here. I have gotten multiple degrees and been able to work with many supportive, intelligent people from all over the world. While many things have changed since I first began work, it is still a good place to work overall. The culture is professional, and as long as you are doing your job, there is much flexibility in work hours and locations. It is VERY parent friendly.

ConsALU has struggled over the past 10 years. It seems like we are in a constant downsizing mode. Raises and bonuses have been minimal and promotions have been non-existent.

A long and winding road

Product Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI started at Lucent (spinoff of AT&T) which merged with Alcatel (French company) in 2006. It's been challenging but lots of opportunities to learn new skills. Unlike many companies, still has good medical benefits. Vacation time is generous. New CEO Michel Combes seems to be turning the company around.

ConsLots of challenges in this industry that have caused management to slowly strip most of the good stuff away. They stopped contributing to the 401K this year and replaced it with a different program that is not as good. They capped pensions several years ago. There hasn't been a salary increase since 2010. Many buildings have been closed forcing people to work from home with no compensation for expenses (utilities, Internet, needing a larger house). Very demanding workload plus more and more is being outsourced/offshored which makes it difficult to resolve issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many groups that don't contribute to the bottom line and not enough people assigned to the products that actually produce the revenue.

Was a good company to work for

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Murray Hill, NJ

ProsNice people to work with

ConsBusiness is not good, projects reduced, no salary increase,...

Total Chaos

Director of Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsNothing much to talk about in pros besides meeting some quality people.

ConsTotal chaos. I was part of the Application Software Group and the whole org didn't make sense to begin with. Thank Goodness ALU realized and dismantled the joke in a couple of years

Worked for Alcatel-Lucent? Contribute to the Community!