Alcatel-Lucent

3.2 1,149 reviews

Alcatel-Lucent CEO Michel Combes

Michel Combes

1,149 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is good (depending on the country you reside)"
    in 92 reviews
  • "work from home or the office very flexible in how you manage your own time in most positions"
    in 41 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has struggled to pull it together in the last seven years"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Many technical decisions seem to be made based on political situations in upper management"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good

Purchase Manager (Current Employee)
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMultinational diverse culture global presence

Consenvironment is challenging, not well defined processes,

I spent last 36 years starting with Western Electric, ... , Alcatel-Lucent (one company) overall a positive experience.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Naperville, IL

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

ProsChallenging technical work in all aspects of large and complex software systems.
I am working with very good engineers on wireless networks.
The immediate management is good, we are mostly working in very positive cooperative mode.
The work hours are flexible, and telecommuting is OK when type of work allows it.
Dress code does not exist :)
Benefits are still good.

ConsLast 13 years the corporation was shrinking, this brought layoffs, spinoffs and in general cycles of job insecurity. It can get very stressful.
Upper management often does not share information with its work force, especially at times of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop outsourcing jobs to low cost centers... China, India, Romania ... at every cost.
Stop giving clever names to smooth over layoffs, no one likes to hear expressions like synergy, human resource opportunity, shift plan, when al that it means is a layoff.

It is a good company but there is not much new positions

Network Engineer (Former Employee)
Paris (France)

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than a year

Prosthere is alcatel university that you can enroll. Some of them are free. The fees of the training are not much expensive. The canteen meals are great, great. The benefits are good too. They have cheap tickets, cheap dry cleaning, even iron.

Consthe company has a shift plan that they fire many old people. They even doesn't hire new interns. Paris campus is far away from the city center.

Impressed

Solution Architect (Current Employee)
Wellington (New Zealand)

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent as a contractor for more than a year

ProsWhile I am a contractor for them, they are a reasonable company with reasonable expectations. Many of my previous roles have been very difficult in terms of workload, time management, and expected results.

Alcatel-Lucent have paid better, and put a quality job before a massive output requirement. It's a good place to work where I am - good people, polite atmosphere and a focus on quality.

And its good to see that the company is rebounding finally - they were on the ropes for a while.

ConsSomewhat repetitive nature to the work. But hey, thats everywhere.

Member of Technical Staff

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)
Murray Hill, NJ

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNice and relaxed work environment., a lot of smart colleagues. Friendly. Good benefit

ConsWhat can you expect for a company keep loosing money?

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! It's 21th century. Figure out a way to save this great company and DO IT!

Very political environment and poor people managers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDepends highly upon which country you work in and which division you work for. But overall the salaries are good and the working conditions are good. Lots of different technologies being developed so there is at least the potential to learn a lot.

ConsThe working relationships in the company are very poor - country to country and division to division. Very little teamwork across business divisions and groups - in fact there is animosity, jealousy and competition. Very poor HR (no surprise) and management spends most of their time being political, fighting for their own projects and teams. They have no people management skills whatsoever. In fact, promotions are based on political acumen, and not on people management skills Again this varies greatly from team to team. There are some good managers, but you will be hard pressed to find them.

The company itself has never really gotten on solid ground since the merger. Besides the country to country tribalism, there is still remnants of infighting and lack of teamwork from former Lucent and former Alcatel. Lots of dead wood from both companies still around. This is due to the cliques that form and buddies help out their buddies. During the many downsizing events over the past number of years, you see how the cliques help each other out. No global people management is present. Very localized decisions which foster the friend's network. You don't have to look hard to see the alliances that people are members of. They tend to follow each other around the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of as much of the older products you can. You can't believe how much it is costing to support old technology - and multiple versions of that technology. The purge at the time of the merger was not done except in some limited areas.

Look at your sales and support teams - they do not understand business and how to make a profit. They are looking to maintain their own staff, and take on deals that should have never seen the light of day. Not enough oversight on the deals that are made.

Do a thorough review of you senior management. They are being protected in many cases by "friends" in higher management positions. You will be shocked at what you find.

Good place to work

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent

Prosflexible and place to gain rich experience

Consnot many new work coming

Great roots, desperately in need of transformation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBell Labs heritage.
Global reach, especially China
Strong management on the networks side, as well as Motive.

ConsMonopoly culture at its core. Desperately need new blood.
Complex management structure
Lost years chasing fluffy visions like application enablement instead of investing in their core business
Impossible to rightsize the French employee base

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus. Nokia Siemens did it.

Stay away in Italy

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
Milan (Italy)

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat in the past, BELL LABS was great, the merge with Alcahell ruined everything

ConsWill bankrupt any soon, in Italy its a disaster

Advice to Senior ManagementHit the road!

Was a great company but now...

I have been working at Alcatel-Lucent

ProsGood work-life balance
Great people to work with
Working with people around the world

ConsBig internal organisational problems and very unclear management decisions since the fusion
Difficult to find the person who can help solving a problem (blurry organisation and responsabilities)
Lack of promotion, bonuses and reward for the hard work which maintain ALU afloat since the latest plans
No visibility on the future of the company (and the job)

Advice to Senior ManagementClarify the organisation and stick to it for at least 3 years to have a chance
Review/cut the middle management layers or clarify their responsabilities and make them accountable for it
Be more customer focused and much less "internal rules" focused
Empower the technical and business knowledge of ALU personnel

Worked for Alcatel-Lucent? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alcatel-Lucent reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alcatel-Lucent CEO Michel Combes. All 1,149 reviews posted anonymously by Alcatel-Lucent employees.