Alcoa

Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld

Klaus Kleinfeld

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsGood company, good compensation and benfits.

ConsWorst, worst, did I say THE WORST Management, local and corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview your management on a local and plant level in Cleveland and please remove non-producers. Those who ride the coattails of their subordinates without reward or recognition.

Alcoa is killing people

Common Factory Worker (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

Prosgood paid fair benefits all about safety

Consoverworked, not enough hours in the day, got to wear 10 different hats, worried about p&l

Advice to Senior Managementthink about the people on front line who are doing the hard labor to makr this company a sucess

Semi-Annual Layoffs

Human Resources (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsThere were a lot of advancement opportunities (not sure if there still is), the people are good and seem to care about one another

ConsPolitical, very slow to change, layoffs every 6 months, tend to keep the non-performers because someone likes them, knee jerk reactions

Advice to Senior ManagementLook further into the future, not just into the next quarter

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Skill Tradesmen (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsMany opportunities for college grads

ConsTechnology is catching up to the 50+ year old equipment

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to spend money to make money

High Demands and High Rewards

Plant Manager (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsPlenty of opportunity for expanded roles and advancement.

ConsCulture is shifting to more of a short term financial focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going with Operational Accountability, but remember that sustainability should be kept in mind.

Alcoa is basically a good place to work.

Supply Planner (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsGreat benefits, job security, opportunities to move up. A lot of good middle managers

ConsGood old boys, antiquated heavy manufacturing type mentality/culture. Lot of back stabbers there.

If you like wasting your time, then work here

Cleveland, OH

ProsSalary, most co-workers are friendly, Health benefits are great

ConsIf you like wasting your time, then work here. It takes forever to get anything done as there is a massive papertrail. You cannot buy anything without 10 different people approving first. And if you have a breakdown, you need approval before you can get a part of out the warehouse. Then you get questioned on why it took so long to fix the problem. They keep reducing people (contractors, hourly, salary) in order to cut costs. No one is backfilling the old duties and everyone is getting over worked. They have unrealistic expectations that each person is going to have the next greatest idea to save millions of dollars. And demand that each person implements and tracks 2 of their ideas in a computer system. All they look at is costs, would rather not spend to save than to spend and save in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are putting too much pressure on every employee. Major reorganization needs to happen. Instead of adding layers of upper management that do nothing, restructure at the lower levels. I have never worked somewhere so disfunctional.

Wonderful with a nice environment and great co-workers

Intern (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsEveryone works as a team and it is easy to find solutions to common problems from co-workers

ConsWord gets around quickly if you mess up

Very Satisfying

Production Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits, Pay, Vacation, Employee relations

ConsLimited Promotions,Pay performance, Recognition, Raises,

Advice to Senior ManagementPay Performance structured within attainable limits.

Needs to create a healthy work environment

Inside Sales (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsGood salary, decent benefits, the product is excellent and safety is important. You must negotiate for a good salary because the raises are small but the performance bonus can be very good.

ConsAlcoa is a company that has businesses everywhere so you would think that it would be easy to find another job in another location but the HR department is so poorly structured that to move from one location to another is difficult. HR is only concerns with dealing with grievances and complaints.

At our location there are many from the hourly that have to work twelve hour shifts with mandatory overtime. The salaries are expected to work overtime without compensation. Once you had up those hours your salary does not look so high. It is a good deal for Alcoa who does not need to pay taxes on that free labor.

Our business was reorganized and our sales management team was completely ousted, people who truly understood our business (aerospace forgings) were replaced by people who came in like carpetbaggers from extrusion. There was no transition just high jacking of key positions with fancy announcements.

The headcount is reduced to the lowest possible level for the non-managerial group so it means that issues are slow to be resolved, employees are afraid to lose their jobs and don’t cooperate. It is a culture that breeds back stabbing and knowledge is not share. I would never recommend to people who like a healthy work environment to apply at Alcoa until they make major changes right at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop parading interns and quickly promoting them above your older more knowledgeable employee. Instead bring people in to learn the work alongside employees that can mentor them without fear of being replaced as happened in our office in two months. Ease people into retirement so that their knowledge is kept in house and they can train their replacement properly. Also take a look at equal pay for equal work, you are in violation. Your HR department is not doing its job.

Worked for Alcoa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alcoa reviews and ratings in Cleveland, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alcoa CEO Klaus Kleinfeld. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Alcoa employees.