Alcoa Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld
Klaus Kleinfeld

Pros
  • Great lifestyle - one of the few corporates that truly value work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Steady Pay, Good Benefits, Good Co-Workers (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • So work life balance is little tough (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management talks a good talk, but regularly policies don't reconcile with the values they claim to promote (in 8 reviews)

1. operation

Current Employee - Operations in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Operations in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits package. High tech leaders on Aluminum aerospace

Cons

life balance. Atmosfere current Top Management does not care for employees.

2. Awful communication

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The non-executive people where great to work with.

Cons

The executives at this company where awful to work for. Felt like a glorified high school. Once you got to executive status they did not look out for non-executives. Communication was the worst I've ever seen at any company. Non-executives were being constantly laid off and there was no such thing as a work/life balanced. Absolutely no energy and felt like working at a morgue. No one knows (nor seems to care) about what people sitting right next to you do.

Advice to Management

Communication, communication, communication. Look out for the people that help make the company, not just the executive teams.

3. Administration

Former Employee - Human Resources in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Global company with lots of resources and opportunities to advance in your career. The benefits are top of the line.

Cons

Too many hours required & often short staffed in key support ateas.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees who work hard and reward them for their contributions.

5. High turn over rate

Former Employee - General Laborer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - General Laborer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a union shop, at least the union employees on the floor can and will help you when your upper management who has little or no experience can't.

Cons

Extreme turn-over rate in HR, and management. We have seen a minimum of at lease 10-20 new HR reps / specialist. A huge turn over rate of every 2-3 years managers are hired and fired. Very very poor management!

Advice to Management

You should not lie to your prospective new managers. Tell them up front it's every weekend and 12 hours are mandatory! Tell them they might last 2 - 3 years if that. management has turned over so many times, I've personally seen at least 5 new plant managers within a 10 year period.

6. Okay overall with good starting salary and management visibility

Current Employee - Safety Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Safety Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starting salary and types of people hired. Good people.

Cons

Tough work environment with many union plants. Not the best work life balance.

Advice to Management

The current CEO is a little sketchy but seams to have the stock rising.

Unrealistic Expectations

Former Employee - Engineering in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa

Pros

Excellent Health Care Provide resources and tools necessary to do your job Good compensation T-shirts and awards

Cons

Unrealistic expectations on those that do the majority of the work. Upper management kept building more layers and pushing more work onto those below. Impossible to complete tasks in a timely manner. Every day was a new impossible task of the day to just be forgotten about the next day when something else was more important. Expectation of salary work force to come in on Saturdays for inventory counts. Expectation for salary work force to come in off shift to do safety walk through and have it not count as part of your 8 hour day. Expectation to complete a 15 page document for safety on every task.

8. An exciting stable company, who strives to grow there employees as much as the business.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ever changing environment. Endless learning and growth opportunity. Rewarding work environment.

Cons

Long hours, heavy work load

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and support your employees.

Not a company to feel a future with. I hope to see the business go overseas someday!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, training and work conditions. The yearly bonus plan was exceptional!

Cons

I felt like I had to have eyes behind my head. I was put on a three month probation where I was given tasks I was never challenged on before and only the sr. staff performed these tasks. During this time, I was not allowed to talk to my piers or ask questions for help. I was set up for failure. Instead of just laying me off, they wanted to fire me for a "cost savings" after 8 years of service. The suppliers were treated terribly and paid in 90 day batch payments. It was a joke to help them out because management would punish the employee for helping supplier obtain payment. The quarterly review program was a way of weeding out employees, even though they were doing a good job. I was told that I received below average rating is because somebody had to get it and they picked me - two times to put me in layoff status. I did not have the college degree as others, was older, had heart operation and not sr. opportunities to prove myself. The name of the game "King of the Mountain". Management was very rude and cold. I could not trust them.

Advice to Management

I think people need to be appreciated and remembered by the credentials as to why Alcoa hired them on.

Less than enjoyable start to a career

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large international company - many locations and business units, strong history and brand, some exposure to executives in corporate roles, opportunities are available (if willing to take only opportunities that benefit the company), opportunities to learn if you choose to take it upon yourself, many contacts available across company

Cons

Very political, extremely bureaucratic and close door-ed, will block employee movement within company if BU or plant desires to keep employee in current role, zero talent development, little regard for growth opportunity desires of employees, managers regularly put employees down if bad performance occurs, awful work life balance, extreme expectations on performance causing a stressful work environment, very little recognition of good performance, regularly ask employees to shoulder more responsibilities without compensation if company restructures office or decides not to back-fill a vacant position, management always adds more to plate of employees without taking anything away

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Work-life balance is a must for engaged employees. There is only so much time in a day. A few hour turn-around is not reasonable on some requests. Do not expect employees to work late evenings and weekends just because you feel like asking them to get so much done. Talk to employees about what works and what doesn't. Listen when concerns are brought up. Acknowledge the successes of your teams and the Spend WAY WAY WAY more time developing talent. Allow locations to submit realistic forecast expectations and do not topside and punish employees when can't make unreasonable forecast.

Former Employee

I worked at Alcoa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, good compensation and benfits.

Cons

Worst, worst, did I say THE WORST Management, local and corporate.

Advice to Management

Review your management on a local and plant level in Cleveland and please remove non-producers. Those who ride the coattails of their subordinates without reward or recognition.

RSS Feed </> Embed