Alcoa

Updated March 3, 2015
Updated March 3, 2015

Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld
Klaus Kleinfeld

Pros
  • Great lifestyle - one of the few corporates that truly value work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, although they were better at one time (changed to be more "competitive") (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, no idea of what it takes to advance (everything is secretive) (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management talks a good talk, but regularly policies don't reconcile with the values they claim to promote (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

18 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Okay overall with good starting salary and management visibility

Current Employee - Safety Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Safety Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starting salary and types of people hired. Good people.

Cons

Tough work environment with many union plants. Not the best work life balance.

The current CEO is a little sketchy but seams to have the stock rising.

High turn over rate

Former Employee - General Laborer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - General Laborer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a union shop, at least the union employees on the floor can and will help you when your upper management who has little or no experience can't.

Cons

Extreme turn-over rate in HR, and management. We have seen a minimum of at lease 10-20 new HR reps / specialist. A huge turn over rate of every 2-3 years managers are hired and fired. Very very poor management!

You should not lie to your prospective new managers. Tell them up front it's every weekend and 12 hours are mandatory! Tell them they might last 2 - 3 years if that. management has turned over so many times, I've personally seen at least 5 new plant managers within a 10 year period.

Unrealistic Expectations

Former Employee - Engineering in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa

Pros

Excellent Health Care
    Provide resources and tools necessary to do your job
    Good compensation
    T-shirts and awards

Cons

Unrealistic expectations on those that do the majority of the work. Upper management kept building more layers and pushing more work onto those below. Impossible to complete tasks in a timely manner. Every day was a new impossible task of the day to just be forgotten about the next day when something else was more important. Expectation of salary work force to come in on Saturdays for inventory counts. Expectation for salary work force to come in off shift to do safety walk through and have it not count as part of your 8 hour day. Expectation to complete a 15 page document for safety on every task.

An exciting stable company, who strives to grow there employees as much as the business.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ever changing environment. Endless learning and growth opportunity. Rewarding work environment.

Cons

Long hours, heavy work load

Continue to grow and support your employees.

Not a company to feel a future with. I hope to see the business go overseas someday!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, training and work conditions. The yearly bonus plan was exceptional!

Cons

I felt like I had to have eyes behind my head. I was put on a three month probation where I was given tasks I was never challenged on before and only the sr. staff performed these tasks. During this time, I was not allowed to talk to my piers or ask questions for help. I was set up for failure. Instead of just laying me off, they wanted to fire me for a "cost savings" after 8 years of service. The suppliers were treated terribly and paid in 90 day batch payments. It was a joke to help them out because management would punish the employee for helping supplier obtain payment. The quarterly review program was a way of weeding out employees, even though they were doing a good job. I was told that I received below average rating is because somebody had to get it and they picked me - two times to put me in layoff status. I did not have the college degree as others, was older, had heart operation and not sr. opportunities to prove myself. The name of the game "King of the Mountain". Management was very rude and cold. I could not trust them.

I think people need to be appreciated and remembered by the credentials as to why Alcoa hired them on.

Less than enjoyable start to a career

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large international company - many locations and business units, strong history and brand, some exposure to executives in corporate roles, opportunities are available (if willing to take only opportunities that benefit the company), opportunities to learn if you choose to take it upon yourself, many contacts available across company

Cons

Very political, extremely bureaucratic and close door-ed, will block employee movement within company if BU or plant desires to keep employee in current role, zero talent development, little regard for growth opportunity desires of employees, managers regularly put employees down if bad performance occurs, awful work life balance, extreme expectations on performance causing a stressful work environment, very little recognition of good performance, regularly ask employees to shoulder more responsibilities without compensation if company restructures office or decides not to back-fill a vacant position, management always adds more to plate of employees without taking anything away

Treat your employees better. Work-life balance is a must for engaged employees. There is only so much time in a day. A few hour turn-around is not reasonable on some requests. Do not expect employees to work late evenings and weekends just because you feel like asking them to get so much done. Talk to employees about what works and what doesn't. Listen when concerns are brought up. Acknowledge the successes of your teams and the Spend WAY WAY WAY more time developing talent. Allow locations to submit realistic forecast expectations and do not topside and punish employees when can't make unreasonable forecast.

Former Employee

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, good compensation and benfits.

Cons

Worst, worst, did I say THE WORST Management, local and corporate.

Review your management on a local and plant level in Cleveland and please remove non-producers. Those who ride the coattails of their subordinates without reward or recognition.

Alcoa is killing people

Current Employee - Common Factory Worker in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Common Factory Worker in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good paid fair benefits all about safety

Cons

overworked, not enough hours in the day, got to wear 10 different hats, worried about p&l

think about the people on front line who are doing the hard labor to makr this company a sucess

Semi-Annual Layoffs

Former Employee - Human Resources in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There were a lot of advancement opportunities (not sure if there still is), the people are good and seem to care about one another

Cons

Political, very slow to change, layoffs every 6 months, tend to keep the non-performers because someone likes them, knee jerk reactions

Look further into the future, not just into the next quarter

Great place to work

Current Employee - Skill Tradesmen in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Skill Tradesmen in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for college grads

Cons

Technology is catching up to the 50+ year old equipment

You have to spend money to make money