Alcoa

Alcoa Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld

Klaus Kleinfeld

Pros
  • Work life balance programs, working from home 1 day a week is common(in 10 reviews)

• Great pay, great benefits, World class Fortune 500 Company, but many complaints(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, no idea of what it takes to advance (everything is secretive)(in 10 reviews)

• Senior management talks a good talk, but regularly policies don't reconcile with the values they claim to promote(in 8 reviews)

So happy I left

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary and benefits, some great hourly employees that really care.

ConsMany management employees do absolutely nothing and still keep their jobs. Long term employees are like dinosaurs, they refuse to give up their ways and accept change.
    There is no teamwork or compromise, even though they preach it every day.
    When you try to discuss it with your supervisor you get the run around and are told to "be patient it will get better." I doesn't and it never will.

One of the biggest problems is managements failure to recognize and reward hourly employees that go above and beyond. They are experts at taking exceptional employees and turning them into disgruntled mediocre workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach.

"You can't leap frog in your career"

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsProduct offering is vast and so are the type of jobs. You can almost always find a job that will meet your interests. Additionally, they always give internal candidates a fair shot at a position.

ConsDon't fall to the impression that you can enter the company, continue your education and then make leaps and bounds in your career and expect salary to follow suit. Development is stifled although encouraged. Advancement is slow if you stay in one location. Expect to move, change business units if necessary, and to make small incremental changes in responsibility and pay to move yourself forward in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people what they are worth even if their credentials are built after being hired. You are forcing young talent to leave when you don't provide tuition assistance (despite the company being profitable as a whole even if the business unit they are attached to is not) and then refuse to compensate them or evaluate them when applying for positions as if they were external candidates. When your competition is willing to pay for the talent that you so easily cast aside and question their level of responsibility you leave your employees no other choice but to seek employment elsewhere where they will be compensated for their level of education and years of experience.

So Happy I Left!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsIf you are open to itt -- and part of the favored "in-crowd", there are numerous opportunities throughout the US and abroad. Some groups have

ConsLong hours, emotionally abusive environment, the harder you work the more work is piled on top of you -- particularly frustrating when other co-workers get to slide by without pulling their weight. I was completely miserable working there, but did not realize how bad it was until I left and joined a normal company with supportive & encouraging management. So much work is done to satisfy ridiculous and overly-convoluted internal procedures & policies - maddening and insane, especially when wise co-workers flee the sinking ship and the remaining suckers are left with even more work to do, because open positions are never filled (as it might detract from the lucrative incentive compensation paid to upper level managers and executives!) Disappointing favoritism, crazy politics....it's just not a nice place to be. So happy I left!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management. Everything needs to be fixed. Rude, unethical conceited management hired people exactly like themselves and now the entire company is infested...Alcoa was a much better place to be just a short 5 years ago. Sad I was there to see the demise.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A man's world w/ poor senior and HR management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) La Porte, IN

ProsGreat hourly employees that want to make a difference.

ConsBad management and no support from HR which is unusual because HR is normally the group to go to for help, coaching, and support to help people succeed. Dictator style upper management that feels this is the way to treat people. Salary employees have been there so long they feel this is ok. Some know its not right but are afraid to say or do anything for fear of losing their job. They're just hoping the next senior manager will be better and so on after that. Not so in today's professional world. Also not a good place for a woman to work and advance or be treated as a professional. No support at all. It's really sad because the plant has some many opportunities for improvement, they just don't follow up or allow you to do them. They say they do but in reality they don't. Not a good environment to work in. You feel like you can do such much to help make a difference and you can't. So many employees that have left there for the reasons above are so much happier and are doing so much better. It truly is a man's world here which is very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementKlause Kleinfeld and others from Corporate and also Corporate ABS, please look into this plant and fix things; The employees deserve this, they deserve better. Very unprofessional and unethical things happen here that need to be changed.

Disappointing experience with a poor company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAlcoa is a huge company that isn't going anywhere. If you're looking to be invisible and just do your work, you can succeed, as long as you don't want to move up.

ConsAlcoa doesn't trust or listen to their employees. The management is out for themselves instead of creating a collaborative environment to help everyone succeed. If you don't bend over backward to make your boss look good, he won't like you.

Great place to work

Skill Tradesmen (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsMany opportunities for college grads

ConsTechnology is catching up to the 50+ year old equipment

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to spend money to make money

Have to be in the In Crowd

Manufacturing Manager (Current Employee) Hampton, VA

ProsCompany is excellent with safety, community service

ConsPoor leadership, no employee engagement

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a real mentoring program

Great Corporation

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsWonderful benefits and a lot of opportunity-as long as you're willing to transfer.

ConsOverall compensation. Merit increases and performance pay for non-manager/professionals is not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more skip level meetings with the plant employees. Remember not all of your plants are union. Provide more mid-managers with corporate training-don't leave that up to the BU. Tactical experience doesn't fill the gap for the lack of leadership training.

Alcoa - Honest review of how company is failing

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat team members.
    Very interesting work.

ConsCompany is a strong supporter of doing more and more with less and less. Stripped down engineering staff to a level where everyone is over-worked and nothing can get done because managment keeps adding more and more projects but continues to take away the needed resources to get them done. Company has a lot of procedures that need to be followed that take a large amount of time and effort to get anything done, and they continue to add more.
    At this point in time, the best decision as an engineer would be to leave the company or never apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to actually recognize that the level of support is not present to allow engineering staff to be successful. The company will continue to fail until this is realized as there are a lot of highly technical programs being developed at ALCOA, but not enough educated personel to actually make it happen.

Benefits

ProsGreat benefits and compensation programs.

ConsExcessive work hours and employees are oveworked and treated like they are not competent to perform tasks .

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with more respect.

Worked for Alcoa? Contribute to the Community!