Alcoa Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
3.1

Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld
Klaus Kleinfeld

Pros
  • Work life balance programs, working from home 1 day a week is common (in 10 reviews)

• Great pay, great benefits, World class Fortune 500 Company, but many complaints (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, no idea of what it takes to advance (everything is secretive) (in 10 reviews)

• Senior management talks a good talk, but regularly policies don't reconcile with the values they claim to promote (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A great team environment - wonderful colleagues

Former Employee - Senior Project Leader  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Alcoa full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I learned so much and progressed in my career with help from engaged managers. The standards and processes are based on the Alcoa Business System (ABS) - a quality system derived from Toyota's model. The company is an old one, but remains on the leading edge of processes and technology. There are a lot of projects going on and the business units are very engaged in the projects. There are a lot of opportunities within the organization.

Cons

You can get stuck if you don't manage your career, especially if your manager isn't helping you. Be sure to reach out to colleagues and mentors to keep your career moving.

Could have been a great place to work but it wasn't.

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Branford, CT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Branford, CT

I worked at Alcoa full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits at Alcoa were great. I had 401k and great medical insurance. I also received a sign on bonus.

Cons

Management was a terror to deal with. They were all very long time employees and not interested in any employee satisfaction. Training was almost mom existent. Human resources was a disaster. It was so confidential that I was pulled into a meeting the next day.

Management was in it all for themselves. Zero regard for employee concern.

Good place to learn good responsibilities

Former Employee - Warehouse Utility Worker  in  LaPorte, IN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Utility Worker in LaPorte, IN

I worked at Alcoa full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, bonuses and benefits where really great.
    Work environment was very friendly
    Training was great as well.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about them, I think there a very good company to work for.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work seven days a week with only one weekend off a month

Current Employee - Operator  in  Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Operator in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros: Alcoa is a long standing leader in it's field with potentially global positions for salaried workers. Hourly is stuck at location.

Alcoa is good at training new people for different positions and job tasks.

The pay is good, not great or exceptional, but good.

Cons

Cons: Work schedule is horrible. Be prepared to surrender your life and soul. Work seven days straight and then they'll give you Tuesday and Wednesday off as your "weekend". Then wor another seven days straight. You can and will be forced to work 16 hour days. You will only get twelve real weekends off each year.

They treat their lower management like slaves. They are encouraged to work twelve hour days and weekends, fired when they don't for "not having enough Alcoa spirit". Or just fired for nothing. I saw one guy fired for caring too much about an injured worker. Upper management dog-beats the frontline supervisors and that permeating despair rubs off on the hourly workers. You can't trust a company that eats it's own.

Alcoa does not keep to it's promises. Company profits were up 30%, performance pay bonuses for the workers who broke production records dropped from 8% to 0.16%. Not encouraging at all.

The tuition reimbursement they sell young people on? It's only available to ONLY the currently enlisted (no new people can be added to the program) and the budget is always "unknown". You will never get tuition money from Alcoa, they use it as a recruitment tactic, a bait, but it doesn't actually exist.

Everyone is tired. I haven't seen my family in a long time. Vacation time is tiny. You'll be here for at least three years before you get two weeks off.

Can I have my weekends back? As a human decency thing that would be nice. You're causing massive burn out and killing the morale.

Mixed, top management disconnected with facilities

I have been working at Alcoa full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great safety structure and actions, good pay, lots of latitude, stable employment in most locations. Great technology leader.

Cons

Forced ranking, vertical integration needs re-vamp, disconnected policies. Too much micro management. Goals are non realistic in some cases, way beyond stretch. Some areas of discipline get no oversight, while others are over managed.

Remove forced ranking, optimize at locations, not all facilities make aluminum, recognize this....

Overall positive experience.

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Great place for those with interest in manufacturing.

Cons

Political organization but with pockets of very good people.

Aim for more unilateral orginazation. Less politics.

Former Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company, good compensation and benfits.

Cons

Worst, worst, did I say THE WORST Management, local and corporate.

Review your management on a local and plant level in Cleveland and please remove non-producers. Those who ride the coattails of their subordinates without reward or recognition.

Good company that could use some upgrades

Current Employee - Intern  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Alcoa as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Intern program very good with lots of visibility to management. Some new skills will be learned, you get to interact with everyone.

Cons

HR is so slow, expect months to get hired. Structure is very flat, you will not be promoted except from junior to normal to senior.

Take advice from anyone, there are areas where more money can be made.

A Great learning experiance

Former Employee - Global Sourcing Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Global Sourcing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Alcoa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People who work there are great! Great pay, well respected company in the area.

Cons

Forced ranking was not a good idea. Senior Level Management forgot to manage people. Work Life balance non existant

Alcoa values should be lived, not just talked about. Get rid of forced ranking system

Working in company finance

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Newburgh, IN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Newburgh, IN

I have been working at Alcoa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very supportive, willing to help with learning curves.

Cons

Too many layers of management at the corporate level. Creating multiple reports asking for the same information only in there personal report.

Combine some the reports sent down to the location.

Worked for Alcoa? Contribute to the Community!