Alcoa

Alcoa Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld

Klaus Kleinfeld

Pros:
  • "Work life balance programs, working from home 1 day a week is common"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good benefits, although they were better at one time (changed to be more "competitive")"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work/life balance, no idea of what it takes to advance (everything is secretive)"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Senior management talks a good talk, but regularly policies don't reconcile with the values they claim to promote"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall positive experience.

ProsGreat place for those with interest in manufacturing.

ConsPolitical organization but with pockets of very good people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAim for more unilateral orginazation. Less politics.

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsGood company, good compensation and benfits.

ConsWorst, worst, did I say THE WORST Management, local and corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview your management on a local and plant level in Cleveland and please remove non-producers. Those who ride the coattails of their subordinates without reward or recognition.

Good company that could use some upgrades

Intern (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsIntern program very good with lots of visibility to management. Some new skills will be learned, you get to interact with everyone.

ConsHR is so slow, expect months to get hired. Structure is very flat, you will not be promoted except from junior to normal to senior.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advice from anyone, there are areas where more money can be made.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Great learning experiance

Global Sourcing Manager (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsPeople who work there are great! Great pay, well respected company in the area.

ConsForced ranking was not a good idea. Senior Level Management forgot to manage people. Work Life balance non existant

Advice to Senior ManagementAlcoa values should be lived, not just talked about. Get rid of forced ranking system

Working in company finance

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Newburgh, IN

ProsVery supportive, willing to help with learning curves.

ConsToo many layers of management at the corporate level. Creating multiple reports asking for the same information only in there personal report.

Advice to Senior ManagementCombine some the reports sent down to the location.

Alcoa is killing people

Common Factory Worker (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

Prosgood paid fair benefits all about safety

Consoverworked, not enough hours in the day, got to wear 10 different hats, worried about p&l

Advice to Senior Managementthink about the people on front line who are doing the hard labor to makr this company a sucess

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood assignments, mentors were helpful and he's meaningful projects. Interaction with management was frequent. Provided very very very good safety training that kept us safe during the day

ConsNone I don't have any cons with the company because I was not there for very very very long so

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

great values-based company, good growth opportunities A LOT of work

Prosincredibly interesting industry, great people - f you are willing to work hard, you get opportunities

Consmost people do the jobs of 2-3 people

Advice to Senior Managementimportant to prioritize rather than try to do everything at once

i am very happy to work for Alcoa. it has been a tremendous learning experience

Cast House Associate (Current Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

Prosthe people are great and very supportive. safety is always a focus on any job and every employee has the ability to stop if they feel the work is unsafe. recently there has been an overall improvement in equipment maintenance. this allows for more efficient productivity.

Consthe only significant downside in the past has been a focus of production without maintenance. there has been times where upper management will choose to work equipment to failure instead of regular maintenance cycles.

Challenging job, but stretching abilities to make better employees

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    Point Comfort, TX

ProsIt is a good paying company with great benefits, fill like my department is growing and advancing but treated like family.

ConsDealing with union is difficult, because union members feel like the company owes them everything. Management says the right things but still have people in leadership that are of old school thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold employees accountable for their actions, if they screw up they should be held responsible. This should be for management as well as hourly.

Worked for Alcoa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alcoa reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alcoa CEO Klaus Kleinfeld. All 173 reviews posted anonymously by Alcoa employees.