Alcoa

Updated December 12, 2014
3.3

Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld
Klaus Kleinfeld

Pros
  • Great lifestyle - one of the few corporates that truly value work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, although they were better at one time (changed to be more "competitive") (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, no idea of what it takes to advance (everything is secretive) (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management talks a good talk, but regularly policies don't reconcile with the values they claim to promote (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people built on a strong culture, making products that benefit everyday life

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting and challenging work. The company is focused on driving change in our industry which is a lot more interesting than just reacting to change. A lot of very smart and down to earth people. It is interesting to work for a company that makes products that are essential to so many things.

Cons

It is a very large company and there is a risk of getting lost in the shuffle. At times the work life balance can be very hard charging.

Solid place to work... if you're 35

Former Employee - Engineering Intern
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern

I worked at Alcoa

Pros

Project flexibility, friendly and helpful co-workers, housing stipend for interns, good pay

Cons

Horrible location, not much to do outside of work. Not a great place for a single 20-something.

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Bettendorf, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Bettendorf, IA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for advancement. Great products. knowledgeable people and supervision. there is always something to learn and the pace is fast and exciting

Cons

The main issue I have is with compensation and salary grades. It takes awhile to build momentum and to get a lager salary compared to other companies of this caliber

I have no real advice to management. It is a huge company and they obviously know what direction they are headed in. I would say it makes sense to continue to hire bright people and train them well

Forming Tech

Former Employee - Forming Tech in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Forming Tech in Torrance, CA

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products. Deep pocket for capital investments.

Cons

No real technical know. Love sending American jobs to Mexico and China. No regards for quality or on time delivery. Cut throat environment.

Balance your leadership team with knowledgeable experience people. Not just MBA's that don't have the respect of the people.

Lots of overtime

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Alcoa full-time

Pros

Excellent pay/compensation and high demand for current products.

Cons

No work life balance. Antiquated management, lack of support from upper management and little formalized training or on-boarding. High turnover rate.

Find ways to get supervisors time off on the weekend. Give incoming supervisors the tools they need to do the job. Decrease turnover rate.

Great experience, a lot of to learn. Team members that I have been working with are very cleaver and amazing people

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Alcoa's policy is to help employees to reach their maximum potential. Working in there you have the opportunity to gain new knowledge, expand your network, work with great people and chance to improve. I

Cons

Too long working hours, not really chance to customize your work, not really generous in terms of benefits.

Improve communication between higher level management and team members.

great place to learn, advance and make a difference

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have never been bored a day in my job at Alcoa. This company and the industries that we touch are ever-changing and fascinating. There is a lot of opportunity for promotions, flexibility to join projects of interest even if they're outside your department, and the people who work at this company are genuinely respectful of different points of view. I've found that if you're smart, willing to work hard and open - the opportunities for management and job growth abound. This is truly a values-based company and I am proud to work for Alcoa, given our commitment to sustainability, excellence and innovation. Unlike other places I've worked, I find management at Alcoa to be open to ideas from all employees - your age, seniority or job title don't matter; if you have a good idea and want to get it done, you'll have support to make it happen.

Cons

As a global company, the hours can be long and travel is a part of some jobs. That said, traveling to our different operations makes me understand and respect the various businesses, so I think it is critical and most managers are flexible in terms of working from home from time to time to balance the long hours at other times.

Management does an excellent job of communicating the future of the company to the employees at all levels. I feel very well informed. Salaries could be more competitive.

Alcoa - great company, culture of safety, sustainability, integrity, and efficiency.

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Alcoa provides a lot of opportunities for growth within the organization, and chances to stake on special projects and stretch goals. They offer competitive health and retirement benefits. There are a lot of very talented people that work there that are accessible.

Cons

Alcoa is pretty secretive about their compensation structure with makes long term career planning difficult. Also, culture can vary from department to department.

Be more open about compensation.

Current, but looking

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Provides decent pay & benefits for union members. Not much more than that, although threats of shutting down plants keep their status of a great corporate environment out their for the investors.

Cons

Get everything in writing. Management has no problem lying, playing games, making promises, & then using their performance management tools to destroy you if you complain. Nowhere near the company it used to be. Benefits look great until you try to use them. I would never encourage anyone to take a salary position.

Although you preach integrity, look up the word. Stand by your word, do what's right, quit screwing over good employees to take care of buddies.

A quiet work environment

Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Alcoa as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The office environment was very quiet, which I realize isn't for everyone, but it was good for me. The people I worked with were helpful and good to work with.

Cons

Nothing glaring for me. Would have preferred to become a full-time employee instead of a temp, but that didn't happen.