Alcoa Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
3.3

Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld
Klaus Kleinfeld

Pros
  • Work life balance programs, working from home 1 day a week is common (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits, although they were better at one time (changed to be more "competitive") (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, no idea of what it takes to advance (everything is secretive) (in 11 reviews)

• Senior management talks a good talk, but regularly policies don't reconcile with the values they claim to promote (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Alcoa as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really great R&D center, plenty going on. There were tours of the buildings and workshops. They treated their interns really well, and they had plenty of programs and outings to encourage interaction.

Cons

They were sometimes a little too disconnected from the real world. The salaries offered for full time positions were not exactly competitive.

Alcoa - great company, culture of safety, sustainability, integrity, and efficiency.

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Alcoa provides a lot of opportunities for growth within the organization, and chances to stake on special projects and stretch goals. They offer competitive health and retirement benefits. There are a lot of very talented people that work there that are accessible.

Cons

Alcoa is pretty secretive about their compensation structure with makes long term career planning difficult. Also, culture can vary from department to department.

Be more open about compensation.

Treats employees like family

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Carson, CA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with and policies are great for salary workers, i don't know about hourly. Overall good company

Cons

Yes it is a great place to work in due to the fact that they make you feel like family but pay is extremely low for engineers

Great company, smart people. Very supportive culture.

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong company values. Great career opportunities. Fantastic people.

Cons

No real cons - this is a great company and very underrated as a place to work!!

Great environment, great people, good to the community, but can sometimes place politics before retaining talent.

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work-life balance, good people, upstanding company, good to the community, good health care and benefits

Cons

old school work politics, more focused on keeping people happy than making tough decisions about personnel, could reward young talent better

Sever ties with complacent long-time workers who just come in for a paycheck and focus on rewarding those who give it their all.

Not a company to feel a future with. I hope to see the business go overseas someday!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, training and work conditions. The yearly bonus plan was exceptional!

Cons

I felt like I had to have eyes behind my head. I was put on a three month probation where I was given tasks I was never challenged on before and only the sr. staff performed these tasks. During this time, I was not allowed to talk to my piers or ask questions for help. I was set up for failure. Instead of just laying me off, they wanted to fire me for a "cost savings" after 8 years of service. The suppliers were treated terribly and paid in 90 day batch payments. It was a joke to help them out because management would punish the employee for helping supplier obtain payment. The quarterly review program was a way of weeding out employees, even though they were doing a good job. I was told that I received below average rating is because somebody had to get it and they picked me - two times to put me in layoff status. I did not have the college degree as others, was older, had heart operation and not sr. opportunities to prove myself. The name of the game "King of the Mountain". Management was very rude and cold. I could not trust them.

I think people need to be appreciated and remembered by the credentials as to why Alcoa hired them on.

Less than enjoyable start to a career

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large international company - many locations and business units, strong history and brand, some exposure to executives in corporate roles, opportunities are available (if willing to take only opportunities that benefit the company), opportunities to learn if you choose to take it upon yourself, many contacts available across company

Cons

Very political, extremely bureaucratic and close door-ed, will block employee movement within company if BU or plant desires to keep employee in current role, zero talent development, little regard for growth opportunity desires of employees, managers regularly put employees down if bad performance occurs, awful work life balance, extreme expectations on performance causing a stressful work environment, very little recognition of good performance, regularly ask employees to shoulder more responsibilities without compensation if company restructures office or decides not to back-fill a vacant position, management always adds more to plate of employees without taking anything away

Treat your employees better. Work-life balance is a must for engaged employees. There is only so much time in a day. A few hour turn-around is not reasonable on some requests. Do not expect employees to work late evenings and weekends just because you feel like asking them to get so much done. Talk to employees about what works and what doesn't. Listen when concerns are brought up. Acknowledge the successes of your teams and the Spend WAY WAY WAY more time developing talent. Allow locations to submit realistic forecast expectations and do not topside and punish employees when can't make unreasonable forecast.

Great Place to support your Family

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady Pay, Good Benefits, Good Co-Workers

Cons

Management is "Top Down" , too many Bosses, not enough workers

Very traditional company

Current Employee - Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, good values and commitments to the community. Good place to gain technical skills.

Cons

LImited advancement opportunities, very political, very average business models. Most products sold are commoditized which means they have a poor margin. Very challenging business to run.

Old, traditional managers often create a stagnant, traditional work environment that cascades through the organization.

Alcoa GSM

Current Employee - Global Sourcing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Global Sourcing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities, decent pay, low cost of living in Pittsburgh

Cons

Confused leadership, too many of bean counters