Alcoa

Alcoa Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld

Klaus Kleinfeld

Pros
  • Work life balance programs, working from home 1 day a week is common(in 10 reviews)

• Great pay, great benefits, World class Fortune 500 Company, but many complaints(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, no idea of what it takes to advance (everything is secretive)(in 10 reviews)

• Senior management talks a good talk, but regularly policies don't reconcile with the values they claim to promote(in 8 reviews)

Overall positive experience.

ProsGreat place for those with interest in manufacturing.

ConsPolitical organization but with pockets of very good people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAim for more unilateral orginazation. Less politics.

Good company that could use some upgrades

Intern (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsIntern program very good with lots of visibility to management. Some new skills will be learned, you get to interact with everyone.

ConsHR is so slow, expect months to get hired. Structure is very flat, you will not be promoted except from junior to normal to senior.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advice from anyone, there are areas where more money can be made.

Friendship based success

Human Resources (Former Employee)

ProsVery safety conscious. Stable company.

ConsAlcoa does not provide a stable training environment for its employees. You have to learn on the fly. Success is not often based on how well your performance is..This will only guarantee you, your current position but success is measured on who you know and how well you are liked. Also pay is not equal to your workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the hardworking employees and promote based on performance. Set realistic expectations.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Alcoa is killing people

Common Factory Worker (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

Prosgood paid fair benefits all about safety

Consoverworked, not enough hours in the day, got to wear 10 different hats, worried about p&l

Advice to Senior Managementthink about the people on front line who are doing the hard labor to makr this company a sucess

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood assignments, mentors were helpful and he's meaningful projects. Interaction with management was frequent. Provided very very very good safety training that kept us safe during the day

ConsNone I don't have any cons with the company because I was not there for very very very long so

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGood company, good compensation and benfits.

ConsWorst, worst, did I say THE WORST Management, local and corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview your management on a local and plant level in Cleveland and please remove non-producers. Those who ride the coattails of their subordinates without reward or recognition.

Working in company finance

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Newburgh, IN

ProsVery supportive, willing to help with learning curves.

ConsToo many layers of management at the corporate level. Creating multiple reports asking for the same information only in there personal report.

Advice to Senior ManagementCombine some the reports sent down to the location.

A Great learning experiance

Global Sourcing Manager (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsPeople who work there are great! Great pay, well respected company in the area.

ConsForced ranking was not a good idea. Senior Level Management forgot to manage people. Work Life balance non existant

Advice to Senior ManagementAlcoa values should be lived, not just talked about. Get rid of forced ranking system

great values-based company, good growth opportunities A LOT of work

Prosincredibly interesting industry, great people - f you are willing to work hard, you get opportunities

Consmost people do the jobs of 2-3 people

Advice to Senior Managementimportant to prioritize rather than try to do everything at once

Stay away!! very toxic, very demanding, intimidating, hostile, stressful, want to learn bad habits this is the place.

Manager (Current Employee) Fullerton, CA

ProsLot of good programs with good intentions but terrible execution. The company likes to shoot themselves in the head due to capricious and illogical requirements.

ConsManagement lives in a bubble, reactive, no planning, no support, it is like working with hands tied to your back and wearing blindfolds. No support for line managers and if you say right management will say left and blame you. You survive by finding scapegoats and shifting blame on others. You are always in a constant state of fear so nobody is willing to co-operate or share information.

Management style is to threaten employees by finding fault, not by looking for solutions or working co-operatively. Constantly understaffed to control costs and expected to meet unrealistic goals with the consequence of being blamed if goals not met and quick to write employees for lack of performance. No regard for talent, abilities or work knowledge. No growth opportunity. It is amazing how a Fortune 500 company with so much talent can operate a plant like this.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and stop lying to yourselves. You are killing talented employees.

Worked for Alcoa? Contribute to the Community!