Alcoa Reviews

245 reviews filtered by
3.4
Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld
Klaus Kleinfeld

Pros
  • Great lifestyle - one of the few corporates that truly value work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, although they were better at one time (changed to be more "competitive") (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, no idea of what it takes to advance (everything is secretive) (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management talks a good talk, but regularly policies don't reconcile with the values they claim to promote (in 8 reviews)

1. IT Manager

I worked at Alcoa full-time

Pros

If you happen to be friends with the CEO's admin staff or HR leads, you're guaranteed a job even if all you know is how to pole dance or pull draft beer handles.

Cons

The New York office of Alcoa is best characterized as stale and unchanging, filled with protected mediocre talent who couldn't compete elsewhere. HR is too busy coddling incompetent staff at all levels who have no business working in business while at the same time hire young, enthusiastic agents of change who quickly learn of their mistake of accepting the offer letter.
    The culture in the NY office simply provides little to no growth - technically or professionally. Facilities are poor for a headquarters office and are overseen by an inexperienced and incompetent team. Cronyism is deeply rooted here - half the admin assitants were either waitresses in bars or worse - but because of "friends" within HR or inside the CEO's office, they now enjoy protected status. Management sits back, excuses and accepts this culture as "this is the best we can get"...that all the best talent is vacuumed up by the nearby investment banks and law firms. Very few are interested in change...you can even see this at leadership conferences where the CEO challenges his top staff and HR to hire better, more engaged and competent people and he is met by dead, disengaged stares.

Advice to Management

Recognize and remove the cronyism that exists that is helping poor employees to stay on longer than they should.

2. Continuous Improvement and Quality Facilitator

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ciénega de Flores (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ciénega de Flores (Mexico)

I worked at Alcoa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team!
    Opportunities to learn and to grow within the company
    Very people, safety and customer oriented.

Cons

I have no cons to say about Alcoa. Everyone does what is right for the people, the business and the customers.

Advice to Management

I had a few Plant Managers during my 5 years with Alcoa and all of them did very good. Keep up the good work!

3. Mechanical Reliability Engineer

I have been working at Alcoa (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities are endless at Alcoa!

Cons

Work life balance is not the greatest.

5. Great company to work for with very friendly people.

I worked at Alcoa

Pros

Very self driven while working on projects but plenty of discussion at the same time.

Cons

Have to be their bright and early every day. Not a big deal in all honesty.

6. Good place to work.

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Great people committed to excellence and safety. No matter where I travel in the company, I'm always impressed by the capabilities and commitment of the employees from the shop floor to the middle managers. Lots of opportunities to make an impact.

Cons

Like most big organizations, too many cumbersome administrative systems, lots of approvals needed to do anything so not very nimble.

Advice to Management

Managers need to live in the shoes of those they manage. Managers are much too insulated to understand the pain that their employees live every day.

7. Great work life balance

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work life balance, good salary and working conditions. There are opportunities if you are willing to put in the hard work. Most people who leave, try to get back in.

Cons

They prefer to employ a certain type of person and you will be required to sit testing to identify character traits as well as intelligence.
    I suspect most large companies do this now. There are less and less job opportunities the higher you go and people tend to hold onto their jobs. If you are a female and choose to work part time due to family commitments there is virtually no job progression for you.

Advice to Management

Update your systems.

8. Great

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Good company to work for, focused on career advancement, and developing it's younger professionals. Great company to jump in to straight out of college.

Cons

You keep pretty busy, Alcoa is not wanting to hire very many people in the staff level so your responsibilities will continue to rise.

Advice to Management

Transparency and a well traveled bridge of communication go a long way. I believe management overall does a good job.

9. Great Experience

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Great and solid company to work for and develop yourself professionally. Very team oriented and huge global reach. Everyday is a new day.

Cons

Slow process for growth. Company focuses a lot on employees who have several years of experience or with the company in order to promote them.

Advice to Management

Management should focus more on the young talent the company has and motivate them to stay within the company.

10. This was a terrible place to intern.

Former Intern - EHS Intern in Alcoa, TN
    Former Intern - EHS Intern in Alcoa, TN

I worked at Alcoa as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary was good. Also, Alcoa paid for living and relocation expenses. There weer really no other pros.

Cons

Alcoa was shady. Corporate told me they wanted to hire me for a full time job at the end of my internship and then would not even respond to my emails after. The specific location I was at had me doing data entry work for about 90% of the time and real work for about 10% of my time. They put my work station at a table isolated behind some file cabinets. I would go days without contact with other employees. I felt like an overpaid data-input monkey.

Advice to Management

Don't hire interns unless you actually have work for them to do. Also, be open and upfront with them about a futre at the company.

11. Best Employer I've experienced.

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

A lot of overtime. Competitive Wages. Knowledgeable staff/workers assigned for training and work. professional attitude from supervisors. I've grown so much from the training I've received here. treated with respect.

Cons

Building one, During rain becomes soaked near welders station a feeling of danger looms. They're to close to Electrical panels with high voltage machines. Possible Arc explosion there.

Advice to Management

Speak to Welders and Maintainance personal for safety concerns in building one.