Alcoa

Updated January 22, 2015
3.3

Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld
Klaus Kleinfeld

Pros
  • Great lifestyle - one of the few corporates that truly value work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, although they were better at one time (changed to be more "competitive") (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, no idea of what it takes to advance (everything is secretive) (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management talks a good talk, but regularly policies don't reconcile with the values they claim to promote (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

They absolutely suck to work for.

I worked at Alcoa

Pros

There are no reasons to work here.

Cons

There is no future working here there goal is to eliminate the 55 and up crowd

Jump Ship you have no future with this company.

Counting down

Current Employee - Salary Position in La Porte, IN
    Current Employee - Salary Position in La Porte, IN

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Retirement nearing, counting down the time.

Cons

So many to list another book needs to be written. Hence, if you choose to read from "Good to Great" and know that it was written about this plant and you decide to visit and benchmark, think twice because you won't find the answers here. You'll need to read something written about Hitler or something with Chauvinism, Harassment and Bullying in the title because it all goes on under this roof. The pay is good here so most people put up with it and stay, others get set-up and terminated, terminated or leave before this happens to them. Those in "the club" are safe. Most are afraid to say anything for fear of losing their job as they need their job to provide for their families. Some just can't take the stress and want to live longer and enjoy their life. If only someone would do something but most everyone (outside of senior management, this includes HR; God help you if you go there) has given up on anyone coming to the rescue. It's this level that needs to be checked and cleaned up. If only Klaus Kleinfeld really knew what was going on at this location. Maybe they do and don't care. You ask "use your handbook and help chain", that was a chuckle because in our world it's only "their" rules and "they" change them as needed when needed. Thank God for retirement because that is what I have to look forward to, just keep doing my job to the best of my ability until then. Then I can only pray for those still left behind to fend for themselves. Maybe a large group of us will be brave enough to sell the movie or book rights one day?

Klaus Kleinfeld or someone outside of the Power and Propulsion group: SOS

Looking for another job

Current Employee - TCC in Malaga, WA
    Current Employee - TCC in Malaga, WA

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

None unless you like being treated like crap!

Cons

Treat there new hires like crap ...little to no training...Little time off ! Don't work here you will regret it! Malaga Alcoa Wa

Stop lying to your employees ...People are not slaves

ALCOA is a good company with long term employment opportunities.

Former Employee - Mill Operator
    Former Employee - Mill Operator

I worked at Alcoa

Pros

The benefits negotiated by the union set the pace for all employees of the company. Therefor employment at ALCOA was very good for me

Cons

The management staff were not professional. This company tends to promote form within. They do not, however, train them on how to manage or the need for diversity in the workplace. Thus, minority employment can be very difficult to maintain.

Try to train first level managers and supervisors.

Lots of overtime

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Alcoa full-time

Pros

Excellent pay/compensation and high demand for current products.

Cons

No work life balance. Antiquated management, lack of support from upper management and little formalized training or on-boarding. High turnover rate.

Find ways to get supervisors time off on the weekend. Give incoming supervisors the tools they need to do the job. Decrease turnover rate.

Forming Tech

Former Employee - Forming Tech in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Forming Tech in Torrance, CA

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products. Deep pocket for capital investments.

Cons

No real technical know. Love sending American jobs to Mexico and China. No regards for quality or on time delivery. Cut throat environment.

Balance your leadership team with knowledgeable experience people. Not just MBA's that don't have the respect of the people.

Great experience, a lot of to learn. Team members that I have been working with are very cleaver and amazing people

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Alcoa's policy is to help employees to reach their maximum potential. Working in there you have the opportunity to gain new knowledge, expand your network, work with great people and chance to improve. I

Cons

Too long working hours, not really chance to customize your work, not really generous in terms of benefits.

Improve communication between higher level management and team members.

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Bettendorf, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Bettendorf, IA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for advancement. Great products. knowledgeable people and supervision. there is always something to learn and the pace is fast and exciting

Cons

The main issue I have is with compensation and salary grades. It takes awhile to build momentum and to get a lager salary compared to other companies of this caliber

I have no real advice to management. It is a huge company and they obviously know what direction they are headed in. I would say it makes sense to continue to hire bright people and train them well

great place to learn, advance and make a difference

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have never been bored a day in my job at Alcoa. This company and the industries that we touch are ever-changing and fascinating. There is a lot of opportunity for promotions, flexibility to join projects of interest even if they're outside your department, and the people who work at this company are genuinely respectful of different points of view. I've found that if you're smart, willing to work hard and open - the opportunities for management and job growth abound. This is truly a values-based company and I am proud to work for Alcoa, given our commitment to sustainability, excellence and innovation. Unlike other places I've worked, I find management at Alcoa to be open to ideas from all employees - your age, seniority or job title don't matter; if you have a good idea and want to get it done, you'll have support to make it happen.

Cons

As a global company, the hours can be long and travel is a part of some jobs. That said, traveling to our different operations makes me understand and respect the various businesses, so I think it is critical and most managers are flexible in terms of working from home from time to time to balance the long hours at other times.

Management does an excellent job of communicating the future of the company to the employees at all levels. I feel very well informed. Salaries could be more competitive.

Current, but looking

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Provides decent pay & benefits for union members. Not much more than that, although threats of shutting down plants keep their status of a great corporate environment out their for the investors.

Cons

Get everything in writing. Management has no problem lying, playing games, making promises, & then using their performance management tools to destroy you if you complain. Nowhere near the company it used to be. Benefits look great until you try to use them. I would never encourage anyone to take a salary position.

Although you preach integrity, look up the word. Stand by your word, do what's right, quit screwing over good employees to take care of buddies.