Alcoa

Updated December 12, 2014
3.3

Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld
Klaus Kleinfeld

Pros
  • Great lifestyle - one of the few corporates that truly value work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, although they were better at one time (changed to be more "competitive") (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, no idea of what it takes to advance (everything is secretive) (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management talks a good talk, but regularly policies don't reconcile with the values they claim to promote (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Very traditional company

Current Employee - Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, good values and commitments to the community. Good place to gain technical skills.

Cons

LImited advancement opportunities, very political, very average business models. Most products sold are commoditized which means they have a poor margin. Very challenging business to run.

Old, traditional managers often create a stagnant, traditional work environment that cascades through the organization.

It's fine

I worked at Alcoa

Pros

Alcoa is a fine place to work.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

Could have been a great place to work but it wasn't.

Former Employee - Engineer in Branford, CT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Branford, CT

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits at Alcoa were great. I had 401k and great medical insurance. I also received a sign on bonus.

Cons

Management was a terror to deal with. They were all very long time employees and not interested in any employee satisfaction. Training was almost mom existent. Human resources was a disaster. It was so confidential that I was pulled into a meeting the next day.

Management was in it all for themselves. Zero regard for employee concern.

A great team environment - wonderful colleagues

Former Employee - Senior Project Leader in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I learned so much and progressed in my career with help from engaged managers. The standards and processes are based on the Alcoa Business System (ABS) - a quality system derived from Toyota's model. The company is an old one, but remains on the leading edge of processes and technology. There are a lot of projects going on and the business units are very engaged in the projects. There are a lot of opportunities within the organization.

Cons

You can get stuck if you don't manage your career, especially if your manager isn't helping you. Be sure to reach out to colleagues and mentors to keep your career moving.

Good place to learn good responsibilities

Former Employee - Warehouse Utility Worker in LaPorte, IN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Utility Worker in LaPorte, IN

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, bonuses and benefits where really great.
    Work environment was very friendly
    Training was great as well.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about them, I think there a very good company to work for.

Work seven days a week with only one weekend off a month

Current Employee - Operator in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Operator in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros: Alcoa is a long standing leader in it's field with potentially global positions for salaried workers. Hourly is stuck at location.

Alcoa is good at training new people for different positions and job tasks.

The pay is good, not great or exceptional, but good.

Cons

Cons: Work schedule is horrible. Be prepared to surrender your life and soul. Work seven days straight and then they'll give you Tuesday and Wednesday off as your "weekend". Then wor another seven days straight. You can and will be forced to work 16 hour days. You will only get twelve real weekends off each year.

They treat their lower management like slaves. They are encouraged to work twelve hour days and weekends, fired when they don't for "not having enough Alcoa spirit". Or just fired for nothing. I saw one guy fired for caring too much about an injured worker. Upper management dog-beats the frontline supervisors and that permeating despair rubs off on the hourly workers. You can't trust a company that eats it's own.

Alcoa does not keep to it's promises. Company profits were up 30%, performance pay bonuses for the workers who broke production records dropped from 8% to 0.16%. Not encouraging at all.

The tuition reimbursement they sell young people on? It's only available to ONLY the currently enlisted (no new people can be added to the program) and the budget is always "unknown". You will never get tuition money from Alcoa, they use it as a recruitment tactic, a bait, but it doesn't actually exist.

Everyone is tired. I haven't seen my family in a long time. Vacation time is tiny. You'll be here for at least three years before you get two weeks off.

Can I have my weekends back? As a human decency thing that would be nice. You're causing massive burn out and killing the morale.

Mixed, top management disconnected with facilities

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great safety structure and actions, good pay, lots of latitude, stable employment in most locations. Great technology leader.

Cons

Forced ranking, vertical integration needs re-vamp, disconnected policies. Too much micro management. Goals are non realistic in some cases, way beyond stretch. Some areas of discipline get no oversight, while others are over managed.

Remove forced ranking, optimize at locations, not all facilities make aluminum, recognize this....

Overall positive experience.

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Great place for those with interest in manufacturing.

Cons

Political organization but with pockets of very good people.

Aim for more unilateral orginazation. Less politics.

Good company that could use some upgrades

Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Alcoa as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Intern program very good with lots of visibility to management. Some new skills will be learned, you get to interact with everyone.

Cons

HR is so slow, expect months to get hired. Structure is very flat, you will not be promoted except from junior to normal to senior.

Take advice from anyone, there are areas where more money can be made.

Stay away!! very toxic, very demanding, intimidating, hostile, stressful, want to learn bad habits this is the place.

Current Employee - Manager in Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lot of good programs with good intentions but terrible execution. The company likes to shoot themselves in the head due to capricious and illogical requirements.

Cons

Management lives in a bubble, reactive, no planning, no support, it is like working with hands tied to your back and wearing blindfolds. No support for line managers and if you say right management will say left and blame you. You survive by finding scapegoats and shifting blame on others. You are always in a constant state of fear so nobody is willing to co-operate or share information.

Management style is to threaten employees by finding fault, not by looking for solutions or working co-operatively. Constantly understaffed to control costs and expected to meet unrealistic goals with the consequence of being blamed if goals not met and quick to write employees for lack of performance. No regard for talent, abilities or work knowledge. No growth opportunity. It is amazing how a Fortune 500 company with so much talent can operate a plant like this.

Open your eyes and stop lying to yourselves. You are killing talented employees.