Alcoa

Updated January 22, 2015
3.3

Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld
Klaus Kleinfeld

Pros
  • Great lifestyle - one of the few corporates that truly value work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, although they were better at one time (changed to be more "competitive") (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, no idea of what it takes to advance (everything is secretive) (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management talks a good talk, but regularly policies don't reconcile with the values they claim to promote (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A quiet work environment

Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Alcoa as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The office environment was very quiet, which I realize isn't for everyone, but it was good for me. The people I worked with were helpful and good to work with.

Cons

Nothing glaring for me. Would have preferred to become a full-time employee instead of a temp, but that didn't happen.

Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Alcoa as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really great R&D center, plenty going on. There were tours of the buildings and workshops. They treated their interns really well, and they had plenty of programs and outings to encourage interaction.

Cons

They were sometimes a little too disconnected from the real world. The salaries offered for full time positions were not exactly competitive.

Not a company to feel a future with. I hope to see the business go overseas someday!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, training and work conditions. The yearly bonus plan was exceptional!

Cons

I felt like I had to have eyes behind my head. I was put on a three month probation where I was given tasks I was never challenged on before and only the sr. staff performed these tasks. During this time, I was not allowed to talk to my piers or ask questions for help. I was set up for failure. Instead of just laying me off, they wanted to fire me for a "cost savings" after 8 years of service. The suppliers were treated terribly and paid in 90 day batch payments. It was a joke to help them out because management would punish the employee for helping supplier obtain payment. The quarterly review program was a way of weeding out employees, even though they were doing a good job. I was told that I received below average rating is because somebody had to get it and they picked me - two times to put me in layoff status. I did not have the college degree as others, was older, had heart operation and not sr. opportunities to prove myself. The name of the game "King of the Mountain". Management was very rude and cold. I could not trust them.

I think people need to be appreciated and remembered by the credentials as to why Alcoa hired them on.

Alcoa - great company, culture of safety, sustainability, integrity, and efficiency.

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Alcoa provides a lot of opportunities for growth within the organization, and chances to stake on special projects and stretch goals. They offer competitive health and retirement benefits. There are a lot of very talented people that work there that are accessible.

Cons

Alcoa is pretty secretive about their compensation structure with makes long term career planning difficult. Also, culture can vary from department to department.

Be more open about compensation.

Great company, smart people. Very supportive culture.

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong company values. Great career opportunities. Fantastic people.

Cons

No real cons - this is a great company and very underrated as a place to work!!

Treats employees like family

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Carson, CA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with and policies are great for salary workers, i don't know about hourly. Overall good company

Cons

Yes it is a great place to work in due to the fact that they make you feel like family but pay is extremely low for engineers

Great environment, great people, good to the community, but can sometimes place politics before retaining talent.

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work-life balance, good people, upstanding company, good to the community, good health care and benefits

Cons

old school work politics, more focused on keeping people happy than making tough decisions about personnel, could reward young talent better

Sever ties with complacent long-time workers who just come in for a paycheck and focus on rewarding those who give it their all.

Alcoa GSM

Current Employee - Global Sourcing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Global Sourcing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities, decent pay, low cost of living in Pittsburgh

Cons

Confused leadership, too many of bean counters

All about profits

Former Employee - NDT in Wichita Falls, TX
    Former Employee - NDT in Wichita Falls, TX

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, decent health benefits.

Cons

Really poor work/life balance, pressure to put profits over quality, poor safety on the shop floor, managers don't listen to the people performing the actual jobs, bullying by management, loss of holiday/vacation time, not enough sick time to compensate for being overworked (and therefore, getting sick more often), management lies a lot.

You don't have to bully to get people to do their jobs correctly.

Contractor of Alcoa

Current Employee - Senior Technician in New Kensington, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Technician in New Kensington, PA

I have been working at Alcoa as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Free Gatorade and sometimes free food

Cons

If u do not match up to your team leader exsperience you are going to be good enough and 12 hr shifts suck , favoritism

Learn to be far to employees and contractors