Alcoa Reviews

Updated April 10, 2015
244 reviews filtered by

1. Great experience, a lot of to learn. Team members that I have been working with are very cleaver and amazing people

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Alcoa's policy is to help employees to reach their maximum potential. Working in there you have the opportunity to gain new knowledge, expand your network, work with great people and chance to improve. I

Cons

Too long working hours, not really chance to customize your work, not really generous in terms of benefits.

Advice to Management

Improve communication between higher level management and team members.

Current, but looking

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Provides decent pay & benefits for union members. Not much more than that, although threats of shutting down plants keep their status of a great corporate environment out their for the investors.

Cons

Get everything in writing. Management has no problem lying, playing games, making promises, & then using their performance management tools to destroy you if you complain. Nowhere near the company it used to be. Benefits look great until you try to use them. I would never encourage anyone to take a salary position.

Advice to Management

Although you preach integrity, look up the word. Stand by your word, do what's right, quit screwing over good employees to take care of buddies.

3. great place to learn, advance and make a difference

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have never been bored a day in my job at Alcoa. This company and the industries that we touch are ever-changing and fascinating. There is a lot of opportunity for promotions, flexibility to join projects of interest even if they're outside your department, and the people who work at this company are genuinely respectful of different points of view. I've found that if you're smart, willing to work hard and open - the opportunities for management and job growth abound. This is truly a values-based company and I am proud to work for Alcoa, given our commitment to sustainability, excellence and innovation. Unlike other places I've worked, I find management at Alcoa to be open to ideas from all employees - your age, seniority or job title don't matter; if you have a good idea and want to get it done, you'll have support to make it happen.

Cons

As a global company, the hours can be long and travel is a part of some jobs. That said, traveling to our different operations makes me understand and respect the various businesses, so I think it is critical and most managers are flexible in terms of working from home from time to time to balance the long hours at other times.

Advice to Management

Management does an excellent job of communicating the future of the company to the employees at all levels. I feel very well informed. Salaries could be more competitive.

5. Alcoa - great company, culture of safety, sustainability, integrity, and efficiency.

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Alcoa provides a lot of opportunities for growth within the organization, and chances to stake on special projects and stretch goals. They offer competitive health and retirement benefits. There are a lot of very talented people that work there that are accessible.

Cons

Alcoa is pretty secretive about their compensation structure with makes long term career planning difficult. Also, culture can vary from department to department.

Advice to Management

Be more open about compensation.

Internship

Former Intern - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Alcoa as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Really great R&D center, plenty going on. There were tours of the buildings and workshops. They treated their interns really well, and they had plenty of programs and outings to encourage interaction.

Cons

They were sometimes a little too disconnected from the real world. The salaries offered for full time positions were not exactly competitive.

7. A quiet work environment

Former Contractor - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Contractor - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Alcoa as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The office environment was very quiet, which I realize isn't for everyone, but it was good for me. The people I worked with were helpful and good to work with.

Cons

Nothing glaring for me. Would have preferred to become a full-time employee instead of a temp, but that didn't happen.

Not a company to feel a future with. I hope to see the business go overseas someday!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alcoa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, training and work conditions. The yearly bonus plan was exceptional!

Cons

I felt like I had to have eyes behind my head. I was put on a three month probation where I was given tasks I was never challenged on before and only the sr. staff performed these tasks. During this time, I was not allowed to talk to my piers or ask questions for help. I was set up for failure. Instead of just laying me off, they wanted to fire me for a "cost savings" after 8 years of service. The suppliers were treated terribly and paid in 90 day batch payments. It was a joke to help them out because management would punish the employee for helping supplier obtain payment. The quarterly review program was a way of weeding out employees, even though they were doing a good job. I was told that I received below average rating is because somebody had to get it and they picked me - two times to put me in layoff status. I did not have the college degree as others, was older, had heart operation and not sr. opportunities to prove myself. The name of the game "King of the Mountain". Management was very rude and cold. I could not trust them.

Advice to Management

I think people need to be appreciated and remembered by the credentials as to why Alcoa hired them on.

Treats employees like family

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Carson, CA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with and policies are great for salary workers, i don't know about hourly. Overall good company

Cons

Yes it is a great place to work in due to the fact that they make you feel like family but pay is extremely low for engineers

Great company, smart people. Very supportive culture.

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong company values. Great career opportunities. Fantastic people.

Cons

No real cons - this is a great company and very underrated as a place to work!!

11. Great environment, great people, good to the community, but can sometimes place politics before retaining talent.

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work-life balance, good people, upstanding company, good to the community, good health care and benefits

Cons

old school work politics, more focused on keeping people happy than making tough decisions about personnel, could reward young talent better

Advice to Management

Sever ties with complacent long-time workers who just come in for a paycheck and focus on rewarding those who give it their all.