Alcon

Alcon Reviews in Huntington, WV

2.7

Alcon Division Head Jeff George
Jeff George

Pros
  • Great benefits inclusive of 401k match, pension and good health care coverage (in 13 reviews)

• Fort Worth Campus is great, good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • For me - I had a HORRIBLE manager and when I tried to address the issues with upper management (in 5 reviews)

• The immediate next day local senior management revoked the new perk (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Alcon......yep, I was there.

Former Employee - Production Technician  in  Lesage, WV
    Former Employee - Production Technician in Lesage, WV

Pros

Job security if you have no brain.

Cons

Mindless work....pick up the lens....put the lens down

Quit screwing the help.

It has been a bright 20 years. A lot of changes with new owner. Some slack in leadership.

Current Employee - Production Spec I  in  Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Production Spec I in Huntington, WV

Pros

Good pay and clean place to work

Cons

Lack of leadership with all the changes going on.

Place a strong leader and put all new rules in writing so all will know what they are. Peole have concerns for their jobs, and there are no real answers.

A great company with a lot of opportunities to grow.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Huntington, WV

Pros

Great benefits and health coverage, tons of job growth potentials, great and friendly people.

Cons

Paper work and software systems can be annoying to use.

It would be nice to have a network for new employees that they can use to meet new people and get to know the area they are moving to. Set up activities they all can do together, cook outs, etc.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too many supervisors per shift and no area of responsibility

Current Employee - Production Supervisor  in  Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Huntington, WV

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Pension plan is good as well as the cost of benefits. Everyone is committed to the product and the patient.

Cons

No true area of responsibility therefore no clear expectations for a supervisor. Managers continue to operate in their own silo. Promotions are just give to hand picked individuals. Plant manager does not hold managers accountable for poor output and yields.

Stop bringing in exceptional talent and not utilizing them to their fullest. Get more cross functional teams and attack the production problems with some outside the box thinking.

It's all about sucking up.

Current Employee - Production Tech IV  in  Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Production Tech IV in Huntington, WV

Pros

401k is the only reason to stick it out for 5 years. You get 100% match for every dollar. The medical and dental benefits are also outstanding. Granted this is all for the moment. The pay for around here is also top notch if you can stick around for awhile.

Cons

Wow where to begin? It seems as though ALL senior management at Alcon was picked because they're very weak and afraid. If someone makes a mistake after doing something 1000 times a day they won't stop and tell the employee. They'll purposely allow the employee to continue to make the same mistake so they can use it as a means to have you fired. This isn't the case for everyone however. If you've told your uppers how "swell" you think they are, you're still not going places...but they won't try to set you up as much. At some point Alcon (Huntington branch) decided to start punishing those that work the hardest and rewarded those that do the least. I couldn't understand it until recently when I realized the plan is this; If you're a supervisor, you let someone do ALL the work to make your quota's of lenses you're expected to do per job. That way it looks as though you're responsible for their output. However once they show that they are going to continue to grow then you do everything in your power to have them fired or suspended, just whatever it takes to drag their name through the mud. That way they can't take your job, that position is already set and when the time is right the ones that suck up and do little to no work will take that position. Because they're the easiest to manipulate by corporate at Ft.Worth.

Also there was quite a large drug problem up until recently when a few employees were let go or demoted and sent somewhere else.

Best way to sum up Alcon is one employee was quoted as saying "for the love of god I just want to work. I just want to sit here and do my job and make these lenses but they won't stop harassing me."

and by "they" they meant upper management.

quit and let someone with a brain take over. Learn how to do math. If you subtract employees (fire them) you can't raise the numbers on the rest of us and then be confused as to why we can't meet the expectations. Subtraction DOES NOT add more.

Worked for Alcon? Contribute to the Community!