Alcon Labs
www.alcon.com Fort Worth, TX 5000+ Employees

Alcon Labs Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2014
Alcon Labs – Irvine – “One whole cubicle for an intern!”

Kevin Buehler

Pros:
  • "Great company with great benefits and lots of opportunity"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Alcon had many great people, good benefits and flexible work schedule"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "very effected by takeover by Novartis"
    in 2 reviews
  • "Unpleasant work environment for contract employees"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company to work for

ProsPay, Benefits, location. Alcon has many hard workers that are committed to providing the best products we can for eye care.

ConsAlcon is currently in a mode of continuing to do more with less which puts added strain on the employees and departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to add additional headcount to ease up the stress and strain on departments that are running too lean.

great company!!!

Pharmacy Representative (Former Employee)

Prosmade 135K first year out the box as a pharma sales rep.. company car... presidents club winner etc

Consyou have to move ... to move up typically...

Advice to Senior ManagementKevin Buehler is a no non-sense strategic leader..

Great Company trying to come back

Eye Care Sales (Former Employee)
    Worcester, MA

ProsBenefits, Benefits, & benefits. If you can move to TX you'll probably go far in this company!

ConsDefinitely favoring external candidates and a lot of talent were either involved in a layoff or left the company!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advice once in a while. Changing your mind too often makes a company seem uncertain. No "transparency."

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Alcon after Novartis acquisition is not a great place to work

Compliance Manager (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsCompetitive salary and benefits, nice campus

ConsCost cutting by Novartis to hit their quarterly stock price targets. Constant layoffs, hiring freeze means that those left are demoralized and scared plus loaded with doing 3 or 4 jobs worth of work. Alcon used to care about quality. Under Novartis, simply the appearance of quality and compliance is the goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough quarterly earnings must be considered, they should not be slavishly followed at the expense of yearly, 5 year, and 10 year planning.

Previously a great company... latest acquisition has destroyed this.

Fort Worth, TX

ProsGood people still working for the company, and lots of them still wanting to contribute. Also still has above average compensation.

ConsThe current culture of the company. Messages from executive leadership do not match the actions and events that occur. Employees are no longer empowered to make decisions on their own. I agree with another review that there are a lot of uncertainties at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the troops on the ground... they are the folks that are the closest to what is currently happening.

No More R&D

Sorry, You'll Know Exactly Who I Am If I Post Job Title (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsNice Campus, On site gym, benefits.

ConsEVERYTHING must go through the E.L.T. (Executive Leadership Team). Long delays in E.L.T. decisions, inadequate fabricated transparency. The VP of Preclinical Development relies on former department PCS subordinates to target, bully, terminate and run-off anyone that opposes their views. Terrible, terrible, leadership. IF you are in R&D or want to be then get out! Any position other than Manufacturing is absolutely on the chopping block, period! TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY LOST THEIR JOBS! There is no security or long term career here.

Advice to Senior ManagementLEAVE!

Large company that operates like a small company

Regional Training Manager (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

Prosautonomy in decision making, not big pharma. People are able to move up quickly if the opportunity exists

Consout of date technology, systems.

Wonderful Experience, Challenging work environment, Rewarding!

Project Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsGreat company with great benefits and lots of opportunity.

ConsVery unorganized,upper management is not very in tune with the people at the bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore organization with the organization as a whole.

Poor Leadership in Pharma Sales group

Fort Worth, TX

ProsMany hard workers and people who truly care about the business and each other. Time off is good and great company match with 401K. If you are in the field life balance is great, if you are in home office, not so much.

ConsCompany is starting to favor external candidates over developing talent within. Lack of leadership and too many bad decisions, and focused agendas have driven the pharma group into the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart taking care of your teams and clean out bad leadership. If you invest in your employees you bottom line will get better.

Terrible culture, inept leadership

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGood compensation, great benefits (especially if you or someone in your family wears contacts--they're free), and depending on your desire for professional development and proximity to home office there are many opportunities for advancement.

ConsExecutive leadership is a good ol' boys club and Alcon has vastly outgrown their ability to run the organization efficiently. Budget cuts are constant which results in employees having to do more work and just when you think you've got it handled, there's another round of budget cuts or layoffs. All of this adds up to a terrible corporate culture and very low morale for internal associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementCutting the budget is a short term and short-sighted approach to increasing net income. You have to invest in the future and you have to be more progressive in your thoughts and actions.

Worked for Alcon Labs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alcon Labs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alcon Labs CEO Kevin Buehler. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by Alcon Labs employees.