Alden Network

Updated November 1, 2014
Updated November 1, 2014
2.3

Floyd A. Schlossberg

Family oriented and great company culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Alden Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The managers have been approachable including the executive management who have an open door policy. They are interested on hearing feedback and effectively working with the employees. No doubt the work environment at the main office is casual and laidback. Overall they provide a flexible work schedule and if approved by the manager there is a tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

Possibly wellness programs considering that most jobs at the main office you are sitting in front of a computer for many hours.

Total Hell

Former Employee - Administration in Cicero, IL
    Former Employee - Administration in Cicero, IL

I worked at Alden Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A great way to see how quickly your life can go to hell working with this company.

Cons

I was hired to work in administration for this company. When I arrived, my orientation was about 15 minutes where I singed all of my paperwork and was given a booklet to read (the company rules). After that, I was told to just shadow around. While working there, the facility not only had high safety issues for the residents, but also for the staff. They have many pending lawsuits against them as well. At one time, my direct supervisor decided to talk about her sex life to another coworker while I was present (great role model). When it comes to admitting residents, they look for money over care. They better see that you have Medicare or Insurance or they're not taking you. The start of my third week, I expressed concerns about not being orientated on policies and procedures. The funny thing is the company doesn't even follow its own "Circle Values". The "L" stands for " Learning" and doesn't even invest in giving the proper orientation for new hires to "learn" rules or the company. My supervisor then informed me that they were letting me go since it "wasn't a good fit". The pay itself is crap. The benefits- even worse. They have United Healthcare and only one plan. The deductible for that plan is $2,500.

I have had worse jobs, but this company could do far better.

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Bloomingdale, IL
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Bloomingdale, IL

I have been working at Alden Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The workload is not particularly bad. They will hire you regardless of experience, and they have many positions available.

You will never want for hours. They always have open shifts available. Even our part-timers at my building manage upwards of 20 hours a week.

Cons

Alden does not pay well at all. Nurses and CNAs make low-ball salaries. I get paid 2-4 dollars less than other new entries to my field who work for different companies, but got told by management that my pay is the average for the field, which, after doing a lot of research...it is not the average. It is far below the average.

The benefits packages are a bit costly for what they offer, and the salaries are already low.

You need to pay your nurses and CNAs at least a couple more dollars an hour from what they make now. I was paid more from a job as a clerk. Employees only stay because of their passions for what they do --- that's good of your employees, but if that's all they're staying for, you're lacking in reasons to stay.

Not a sustainable environment

Former Employee - Social Services Director
    Former Employee - Social Services Director

I worked at Alden Network full-time

Pros

Most of my coworkers were nice and made work more tolerable. I was able to form great relationships with the residents, so that made the job feel worthwhile and fulfilling.

Cons

Regularly short-staffed, underpaid, very low morale among employees. Don't expect to be trained, the company does not invest in properly training their staff (since they are expendable), you will be thrown into your position and left with no support. If you ask for help or show any sign of weakness, it will be used against you. Lots of turnover, employees not valued or respected. Health insurance was expensive and the benefits were awful. Survey window will be a nightmare, but I imagine it's that way at most LTC facilities.

Start caring about the actual treatment of your residents, not how much money you can make off of them. Making the buildings attractive only goes so far.

unprofessional

I have been working at Alden Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

learned to be independent asap as you have to. Expected no support and no resources
    Speech therapist is professional
    A few PT,OT,nurses,CNAs are great. Again, they do the best they can when there is no support nor resources

Cons

there are only a few good nurses but not appreciate by the management. DON and ADON are good at blaming their subordinates. Majority of nurses were just overwhelming to the heavy patient workload and resulted in unfriendly attitude to CNA and their fellow nurses. Residents definitely need help but are suffered from understaffed situation all the time. Imagine 2 CNAs to take care of 60 impulsive, restless residents.

Recommend the senior management to send their relatives to certain understaffed locations for care and feel how "wonderful" care they can experience.
    Forget commercials on TV and invest those money back to the facilities and staff

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Alden Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Close to highway and whole foods grocery store. Minimal skill set needed to land employment.

Cons

Extremely poor internal and external customer service. Employees not valued for accomplishments. No room for growth and no room for advancement. Too much internal conflicts with no resolution. The worst working experience in my 15 year career.

Change the culture to value employees and empower them to advance towards personal goals and growth. More diversity in key management positions and opportunities for all employees to perfect their skills.

This is a very unprofessional organization making random decisions with no real investment in their employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Alden Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is really nothing good about Alden except the pay ranges

Cons

The upper management/corporate leadership from COO/CEO/VP level do not have any respect for their employees. It is a very negative culture with an "every man for himself" philosophy. It is brutal and back-stabbing with constant rumor mongering. They do not value the customer and the residents are certainly NOT a priority. You will be kept around if you know someone or have a major connection.

There is a big world of healthcare beyond Alden. You should see how wonderful it really can be!

This is a negative organization and the leadership is very tainted.

I have been working at Alden Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There really are no pros with Alden.

Cons

HIgh turnover, poor management, bad surveys, inappropriate conduct, back-stabbing, no team orientation, all about bottom line and NO focus on the customers

Take care of good people....it isn't always about the money. There are many outstanding organizations....don't be too proud to look at the success of others.

Do your homework before accepting position!

Former Employee - Nurse Liaison in Barrington, IL
    Former Employee - Nurse Liaison in Barrington, IL

I worked at Alden Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with great team members.

Cons

Upper management didn't follow the golden rule of treating personnel with integrity, honesty, kindness and respect.
    Lack of professionalism and educational requirements of some team members.

Get to know your great people.

It was good while it lasted.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Evanston, IL

I worked at Alden Network

Pros

There is potential to be recognized for good work and performance which one can grow in the company. Uniforms are given free every year.

Cons

Poor parking space, difficulty in calling off due to sickness or emergency or vacation leave. Accrual of PTO is poor. We did not know how many we have accrued through the years and we have no choice to cash it in at the end of the yr.