Aldine Independent School District

Dr Wanda Bamberg

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to teach

Teacher (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAldine has a nice work environment, people is really friendly and helpful and salaries are higher than other school districts in the Houston Area.

ConsThere is a lot of paper work for teachers and a lot of testing, which reduce the time of real teaching.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more support for teachers

Aldine ISD is the most authentic district in the state of Texas.

Secondary English Teacher (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe kids are what make this district shine. With a healthy blend of all ethnicities and a passion to help foreign students from various countries learn what they need, Aldine ISD get high marks for this. That alone earned the district a 5-star rating. Regardless of the Cons and Advice to Management that I list below, I love this district because it gives teachers a chance to grow, but at the same the district will have your back if things get thick. A lot of school districts will hang teachers and paraprofessionals out to dry if there is controversy or even a known mistake, but this district is THE fairest of them all. I love Aldine!

ConsOlder campuses lack ability to integrate with new technological requirements throughout the building. Also, older campuses are often neglected (i.e. burned out bulbs in classrooms, poor A/C systems, caked up dust in ventilation, and an overworked custodial crew). INVEST, the new lesson plan format (2 pages long each day!), and building principals/administration teams that are pressured from top down to perform miracles through teachers that in turn receive pressure. Something has to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeachers are not thrilled about INVEST -- consider revamping it or losing it altogether. Give veteran teachers a pay raise. New teachers are now making $50,000, while teachers who have been busting their behind for more than a decade are barely making $50,000. Between dealing with Title I, AYP, and At-Risk work environments, teachers need to be paid a bit more. You will notice a HUGE improvement in teacher morale.

Unprofessional

High School Teacher (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat training opportunities
    Reasonable pay
    Opportunity for growth
    Location to living
    Current

ConsHorrible Benefits
    Autrocious Students (beyond what a well-developed educator can assist with)
    Lack of Respect for the profession
    INVEST (appraisal system) another way to make teachers slaves to the job and for students to accept responsibility for their own learning
    Unprofessional staff members, especially at certain campuses (Nimitz, would have to be one of the worst)
    The "favorite" game is often played and a means for determining job titles.
    Cover-up- try harder to keep things out of the news than to fix problems that are news worthy.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the professionalism of teachers who are educating these children, starting with administrators. Hold the students more accountable for their learning and achievement...you are not producing the "Nation's Best", these kids are being set up for failure becasue we take from the teachers and give to the students. Reconsider "motivational theory".

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teacher standpoint- Too much work, not enough time

Teacher, Elementary School (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSalary package comparable to nearby districts
    Smaller more intimate district
    Potential for advancement

ConsOverwhelming amount
    Endless testing
    Countless meetings
    Under appreciation of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementYou all need to consider and keep in mind that a healthy work-life balance is necessary for optimal employee performance. Numerous studies have proven that a well rounded employee is one who has proper balance, not just constantly working. No teacher should be held accountable for having a life outside of the school. After all, without families there would be no students to educate.

Teacher Training

Teacher (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMany opportunities for teacher trainings is this district.

ConsMany training are during the school day when students are in class. Need more none students days so students are not getting sub teachers.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Plenty of available resources

Teacher (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLots of educational staff and support for student success. Many available on-line and hardcopy resources for the principals and teachers to implement into practice.

ConsMoves slow on the learning curve. To conservative and cautious, waiting to see what the other districts in the area are going to do or how they will react to the latest educational drift.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose the gap between administrative and teacher pay scales

great experience and would work there again

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat pay and easy to get along with others

ConsUrban school district and some bad areas

Advice to Senior ManagementDont put so much stress on employees

good and bad

Teacher (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosgood starting salary for teachers

Consnot being able to see the 6 week exams in advance
    entirely focused on test result scores

Great district loved working there. Loved my school and principal

Teacher (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat professional development and internal systems.

ConsSo small no opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Keep the school structure the way it is.

Better than Many places

Math Teacher (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe students are at a higher level of education, and are generally better prepared for their next math class than other districts.

ConsThere is not enough parental and student accountability. The district seems to be more about showing off numbers than actual achievement.

Advice to Senior Managementstop allowing students to get away with negative activity just because you want your numbers to look good on paper.

Worked for Aldine Independent School District? Contribute to the Community!