Aldine Independent School District

2.9

Aldine Independent School District Superintendent Dr Wanda Bamberg
Dr Wanda Bamberg

The job was challenging.

I worked at Aldine Independent School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Able to utilize all of my talents and learn from new responsibilities I was given at the district.

Cons

Direct supervisor was anxious to point fingers when problems arose. Hard work did not seem to be appreciated.

Appreciate the work done by the subordinates.

Illegal practices, disrespect for employees

I have been working at Aldine Independent School District full-time

Pros

Other teachers that actually do stay are troopers and are very helpful, salary is comparable to other districts

Cons

Aldine sweeps all the legal stuff under the rugs and lie on their report card. There are students sitting on the floor, because we have thirty five plus and their solution is to create multiple rosters to make class size ratios appear smaller. They are not in compliance with special education regulations with most sped classes falling in the range of 50-80% sped. They require employees to attend trainings that are outside of their contract hours, sometimes on a Saturday, that are unpaid, and threaten write ups if you don't attend. They do not honor FMLA requirements as well and hold all FMLA days, including maternity leave, against you in your annual appraisal. And above all, if you speak up or attempt to contact ATPE, you are told that you can and will be nonrenewed.

Follow the law, not your interpretation of it.

Finance

I worked at Aldine Independent School District

Pros

Great team support from fellow staff memebers in department.

Cons

Bad supervision, manager's anger taken out to extreems on employees. Screeming and yelling cause for a very tense work environment. To much favoritism around work place.

Realize that your employees are employees not children, do not speak about other individuals to other employees. Provide more payment towards your paraprofessionals in the HR aspect in order to retain good valuable workers.

Bureaucracy and Unprofessionalism

Former Employee - Temp in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Temp in Houston, TX

I worked at Aldine Independent School District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

N/A. No good potential was found in my 12 month of experience with the ISD

Cons

unprofessional, uneducated personal and management. I agree with some one who mentioned that there happen to be and racism. No discipline and ethic ether. Hiring process is complicated only for external applicants. In real life positions given only to internal (relatives and friends).

My Advice to Top Management of Education located at Austin, TX. Inspect and reform ISD at Houston, TX.

Good place to teach

Current Employee - Teacher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aldine Independent School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Aldine has a nice work environment, people is really friendly and helpful and salaries are higher than other school districts in the Houston Area.

Cons

There is a lot of paper work for teachers and a lot of testing, which reduce the time of real teaching.

Offer more support for teachers

Aldine ISD is the most authentic district in the state of Texas.

Current Employee - Secondary English Teacher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Secondary English Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aldine Independent School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The kids are what make this district shine. With a healthy blend of all ethnicities and a passion to help foreign students from various countries learn what they need, Aldine ISD get high marks for this. That alone earned the district a 5-star rating. Regardless of the Cons and Advice to Management that I list below, I love this district because it gives teachers a chance to grow, but at the same the district will have your back if things get thick. A lot of school districts will hang teachers and paraprofessionals out to dry if there is controversy or even a known mistake, but this district is THE fairest of them all. I love Aldine!

Cons

Older campuses lack ability to integrate with new technological requirements throughout the building. Also, older campuses are often neglected (i.e. burned out bulbs in classrooms, poor A/C systems, caked up dust in ventilation, and an overworked custodial crew). INVEST, the new lesson plan format (2 pages long each day!), and building principals/administration teams that are pressured from top down to perform miracles through teachers that in turn receive pressure. Something has to change.

Teachers are not thrilled about INVEST -- consider revamping it or losing it altogether. Give veteran teachers a pay raise. New teachers are now making $50,000, while teachers who have been busting their behind for more than a decade are barely making $50,000. Between dealing with Title I, AYP, and At-Risk work environments, teachers need to be paid a bit more. You will notice a HUGE improvement in teacher morale.

Unprofessional

Current Employee - High School Teacher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aldine Independent School District as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training opportunities
    Reasonable pay
    Opportunity for growth
    Location to living
    Current

Cons

Horrible Benefits
    Autrocious Students (beyond what a well-developed educator can assist with)
    Lack of Respect for the profession
    INVEST (appraisal system) another way to make teachers slaves to the job and for students to accept responsibility for their own learning
    Unprofessional staff members, especially at certain campuses (Nimitz, would have to be one of the worst)
    The "favorite" game is often played and a means for determining job titles.
    Cover-up- try harder to keep things out of the news than to fix problems that are news worthy.

Consider the professionalism of teachers who are educating these children, starting with administrators. Hold the students more accountable for their learning and achievement...you are not producing the "Nation's Best", these kids are being set up for failure becasue we take from the teachers and give to the students. Reconsider "motivational theory".

Teacher standpoint- Too much work, not enough time

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Houston, TX

Pros

Salary package comparable to nearby districts
    Smaller more intimate district
    Potential for advancement

Cons

Overwhelming amount
    Endless testing
    Countless meetings
    Under appreciation of employees

You all need to consider and keep in mind that a healthy work-life balance is necessary for optimal employee performance. Numerous studies have proven that a well rounded employee is one who has proper balance, not just constantly working. No teacher should be held accountable for having a life outside of the school. After all, without families there would be no students to educate.

Taught two years

I worked at Aldine Independent School District

Pros

Will hire a new teacher with no experience.
    Provide professional development
    Helps you to learn classroom mgmt

Cons

Challenging students
    Overload of paperwork
    Unsafe environment

Horribleeeeeee

I have been working at Aldine Independent School District

Pros

Nothing positive about Aldine ISD, they are racists with no leadership

Cons

everything, no leadership, no goals, no respect for the teachers.