Alere

Alere Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Alere Chairman, President, and CEO Ron Zwanziger

Ron Zwanziger

Pros
  • Work from home so you don't have to face the people making your work life horrible(in 15 reviews)

• The company is also very flexible about working from home, which adds greatly to achieving a work/life balance(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management claims to want to be proactive but never seems to get out of reactive mode(in 6 reviews)

• Awful health benefits, basically emergency coverage even for the more expensive plans(in 5 reviews)

Staff Accountant with 0-1 years of Experience

ProsFriendly work environment. No Dress Code. Hands on Training. Education Reimbursement. Higher starting salary than average salary in the area. Excellent growth potential. Superiors really care about subordinates.

ConsThe company has acquired hundreds of smaller companies within the last few years so a lot of people through out the business partners still operate like a small business. They are resistant to change. They prefer to operate like a separate business unit with their way of doing things instead of working as one company with other business partners. Health benefits are not very competitive.

Had great vision and great people, but lost them both

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWas pretty good as Biosite, but no good reason to work there since Alere acquisition.

ConsAlere may be ok as an employer of call center nurses, or production people. But they don't understand biotech or med devices. All the good R&D talent left, and without R&D this place only has another few years of life while they run out all the old product. Foreign HR people came from low tech production plant overseas and don't know how to get/retain scientific or tech people in a competitive region. No future here, pass and go work for SD companies who do genes or drugs.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo point giving advice to management who doesn't listen.

Good Foot in the Door Job

ProsThe company is always trying to create a better environment for their workers. The leads and supervisors are very nice, and always try to listen to your concerns. I have grown considerably by being proactive within the department and the opportunities given to be my supervisor.

ConsThe company itself is going through its phases with their temps. There has been numerous of layoffs that have caused the dissatisfaction among the employees. The opportunities for promotions are limited. Pay is not competitive at all.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you want to work for The Devil....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home so you don't have to face the people making your work life horrible.
    Other employees will help you find a new job outside of the company because we all know how bad it is.

ConsNo room for movement upward; they promote the person they can manipulate the most rather than those that could improve the company
    Extreme micromanagement.
    Managers and supervisors belittle you and cannot take criticism. They are threatened by intelligent people.
    Awful health benefits, basically emergency coverage even for the more expensive plans.
    They don't care about your professional development. I feel like I've gone backward in my career and professional skills since taking this job.
    They act like they are all about health and wellness, but in my life I haven't felt so unhealthy as I did working there. I went from happy and chipper to irritable and depressed in about 3 months time.
    PTO cap is 120 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect.
    Provide opportunities for growth and development.
    Supervisors should do more than watch our screens to make sure we're in the correct aux codes.
    Hire competent supervisors and managers .

The most negative and fearful company I have ever worked for.

Clinical (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPay. However, 'golden handcuffs'

ConsAwful managers. Fear driven decisions that make priorities change weekly. No teamwork....just anxious people snapping at others.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over.

Overworked, Underpaid, Forced Overtime

Extractionist (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsGood place to get experience since they hire people fresh out of college. The work is easy, just tedious and time consuming. As much overtime as your heart desires.

ConsManagement turnover is horrible. There has been 4 different managers in under 2 years and every time a new manager comes in they make new rules and try to fix problems they dont understand. Instead of hiring more extractionists they give you more work. In training they said you for 150 samples per 8 hours but instead they have people doing 250-300 samples a day. The company does whatever is best for them and does not really care about the employees. Recently every extractionist was forced to come in and work an extra day.

Advice to Senior ManagementForcing employees to work extra days is a fast way to lose half your staff! Hire more people and maybe you wont be so behind

The absolute worst company I have ever worked for

Engineering Technician (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThere is plenty of Overtime and free alcohol on Friday.

ConsThe engineers are a hard headed group of people. they do not want you to touch their equipment so they would rather you call them and and ask them what to do. Your input doesn't count so if you try to give any you are always wrong no matter what. there is no bonus and the health benefits are extremely expensive with a high deductible.

Advice to Senior Managementget your engineers to team up with technicians and work together. there is no way the engineers can do proper design work without the help of the technicians.

If you want to be treated terribly, this is the place to work!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWorking remotely - use that time to look for another job!!!!

ConsPay is way below market value
    Managers and VPs are horrible - treat everyone like dirt
    Managers will take credit for your work then blast you for the most mundane things.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the multiple layers of VPs - too top heavy
    Compensate employees at market value - and a 2% raise is not motivation to stick around
    Coach managers and VPs on how to treat others

Low pay, little direction, boys club

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proshigh base salary, car allowance, good customer base

Conslow commission, few internal promotions, burn out, integrating too many divisions...no one can be an expert at EVERYTHING....

Advice to Senior Managementpromote your people

kills your spirit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome employees can work from home, mostly only the highest paid. Alere provides a great service to the people who receive its disease management programs. For a U.S. company, the time-off policy is moderately good.

ConsMicro-management occurs at many levels. There's no way to please management, who changes their minds every week, it seems. What you're told to do one day you're then yelled at for doing the next. The Peter Principle applies to this company: many who are promoted are at best incompetent, at worst completely uncaring to those under them. For a company focused on health, not caring about employees' health and often contributing to decline of mental health is hypocritical. Employees are held to impossible standards. It's sad, because many employees genuinely cared about their work and the company's mission, until they were demoralized out of there, or fired for often ridiculous reasons, or laid off because of management incompetence and capriciousness. All this on top of low pay for everyone but the nurses and the top-heavy middle and top management.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and start over. I honestly don't think this company can be saved as is.

Worked for Alere? Contribute to the Community!