Alere

Alere Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Alere Chairman, President, and CEO Ron Zwanziger

Ron Zwanziger

Pros:
  • "Some employees can work from home, mostly only the highest paid"
    in 14 reviews
  • "The company is also very flexible about working from home, which adds greatly to achieving a work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most upper management had no idea how to get IT work done in an enterprise management"
    in 5 reviews
  • "It is all about work productivity and micromanaging"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bad work model

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alere full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCan be home-based. Flexible with shifts.

ConsToo many changes too quickly and managers always demanding more when you are doing the best job you can to meet quotas.

The Biosite DNA is forever gone, Alere has shifted the roots

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alere full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgreat average workers (non-exempt), made lots of alliances with people through the years. those other people like yourself are what make working at Alere worth it.

Consmiddle and upper management have completely shifted the direction and pace of the culture, expectations, forecasting, goals, attitude, productivity. Change is necessary, but management and Alere topdogs need to restructure the culture and original intent before restructuring the company. these days, its about the numbers; numbers to the shareholders, numbers to make presentations seem good for management. Oh, and manufacturing 5S and six-sigma....I don't see it working at all!

Advice to Senior Managementregardless of all the management training, culture training, leadership training, job training, etc. by far many in management still have yet to learn that classroom and textbooks are absolutely no substitute for building solid relationships one by one with your junior employees.

Was a great place to work before the mergers

Middle Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Alere full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI worked there for 8 years. Survived two mergers.
There are some fantastic, talented people working here. Middle management at the service centers is great.
Great career opportunities but this is due to 50% turnover.

ConsWhen Alere took over the company went downhill fast.
Used to have fantastic training, now it's very short and does not prepare you well enough to do the job.
Absolutely no company culture (there is a push to require you to participate in mandatory culture training, but this is making things worse not better)
Upper management doesn't have a clue what they are doing, they spend money like crazy on unnecessary things, but won't spend money on things that are important to getting work done.
Micromanagement is considered to be mandatory.
Telephonic company with a horrendous telephone system.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together, quit acting like a small company, you're a big company now.

Great company to work for years ago

San Diego, CA

I have been working at Alere full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are still some hard-working, passionate people there

ConsInefficient and Ineffective
Poor communication and execution
Overworked, Underpaid, Undervalued
Regular, mass layoffs replaced only to be replaced with temporary employees just there for a paycheck
Declining culture

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together

If you are good at kissing ass...this is the place to work.

I have been working at Alere full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent hours, management will work with you when something is wrong. The pay is decent but they may overwork you. Free food from time to time

ConsThey seem to move up people who are great at sucking up and lack in skills. If they do not like you, good luck! There is no room for growth. Lack of pay raises but you are "gaining experience". So much more stuff I cant even list them right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue people for their time and quality of work that they do. Be fair across the board!

Case

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Alere

ProsWorked there 5 years and gained experience in field and with multiple computer systems.

ConsVery focused on productivity and micromanaging. Calls recorded and very rigid audits. Difficult being a third party vendor for insurance companies as there are always gaps with benefit knowledge and communication. I much prefer to work for the actual insurance company providing the benefits. Difficult being in a place where no one is happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the nurses be the professionals that they are and the environment will be a happier one and productivity will increase with positivity.

Good company to work for

Consumer Services Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Alere full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits and salary were good. My department and new supervisor and very supportive and work as a team. The job is good at first but there is not much growth within the company unless you want to move into marketing or finance.

ConsWe have had bad management in the past and HR doesn't help to try to make things better. The job is draining because we talk to customers all day. The nature of the calls are also tiring. You will need a good amount of patience to get through the day.

Alere has a great company culture with work/life balance.

I have been working at Alere full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork/life balance - although one may need to work 50 hours a week, Senior management want to help you provide time with your family
Growth - company/personal

ConsQuality of products - although that is improving
Expect change, both in how the company is organized as well as what the focus is on (i.e., products, services, etc)

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter forecast to shareholders to help achieve sales

RollerCoaster

Chemist (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Alere full-time for more than a year

ProsFun people. You can joke around with management. Fast moving environment doesnt get boring.

ConsUnrealistic metrics and goals.
Everything will be going well one day then the next everybody is running around passing the fire along. Nobody takes responsibility for what they did wrong or a bad move.
Job insecurity.
Low Visibility even when you know that you saved time and money for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture is non-existant. I understand that there is a strong push for creating a culture, but its a facade that is not faking anybody. How can there be a culture when people are aware that they are dispensible and can be laid off at any moment.

A decent employer

Regulatory Affairs Specialist (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at Alere full-time for less than a year

ProsCorporate perks, HSA, Employee Stock Discount

ConsMulti-tasking jobs, long hours, bonuses are based on hitting milestones that may be unattainable

Advice to Senior ManagementConsolidating positions does not help the workflow

Worked for Alere? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alere reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alere CEO Ron Zwanziger. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by Alere employees.