Alere

Alere Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Alere Chairman, President, and CEO Ron Zwanziger

Ron Zwanziger

Pros:
  • "Work from home so you don't have to face the people making your work life horrible"
    in 16 reviews
  • "The company is also very flexible about working from home, which adds greatly to achieving a work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Awful health benefits, basically emergency coverage even for the more expensive plans"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Most upper management had no idea how to get IT work done in an enterprise management"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company to work for

Consumer Services Representative (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits and salary were good. My department and new supervisor and very supportive and work as a team. The job is good at first but there is not much growth within the company unless you want to move into marketing or finance.

ConsWe have had bad management in the past and HR doesn't help to try to make things better. The job is draining because we talk to customers all day. The nature of the calls are also tiring. You will need a good amount of patience to get through the day.

RollerCoaster

Chemist (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsFun people. You can joke around with management. Fast moving environment doesnt get boring.

ConsUnrealistic metrics and goals.
    Everything will be going well one day then the next everybody is running around passing the fire along. Nobody takes responsibility for what they did wrong or a bad move.
    Job insecurity.
    Low Visibility even when you know that you saved time and money for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture is non-existant. I understand that there is a strong push for creating a culture, but its a facade that is not faking anybody. How can there be a culture when people are aware that they are dispensible and can be laid off at any moment.

Disappointing

QC Technician (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat atmosphere, easy work, pay is decent, raises given, fun coworkers, on site gym

ConsMobility is almost absent depending on what shift you work. Night shift? Sorry bro. Lots of talk about convergence from temps to permanent position, hasn't happened in 2 years. Whether or not you work the hardest or relax your way through the shift doesn't matter because the higher ups have no idea what goes on downstairs.

The shifts also hate each other and have no form of cooperation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to quantify work done

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A decent employer

Regulatory Affairs Specialist (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsCorporate perks, HSA, Employee Stock Discount

ConsMulti-tasking jobs, long hours, bonuses are based on hitting milestones that may be unattainable

Advice to Senior ManagementConsolidating positions does not help the workflow

My experience at Alere was very positive for the first 4-4.5 years. Company and personal growth was excellent. At that

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInternational company with a wide product offering in many facets of healthcare. Both hospital and physician office sales organizations.

ConsCompany developed both quality and supply issues with core products. FDA recalls and sanctions detrimental to continued growth. Competitive pressures often downplayed.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate and focus on quality. Focus on core products and discontinue what at times seems an unorganized approach. Get long term debt under control.

loved working in reno office

TSR (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

Prosgood benefits and time off

Consas always that asshat sup that follows you to the bathroom. how deamining

Great people but management seemed disorganized

Document Control Specialist (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe people at Alere were very friendly and knowledgeable about their work. Work atmosphere was laid back, could wear sweats everyday if one wanted to, and pay was reasonable for work. Alere is also very health focused, always offering lunch-time activities from soccer and yoga to basketball and boot camps.

ConsHigh turnover and at times upper management couldn't decided what they wanted to do; at times information changed daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to work out an effective time rather then doing it spur of the moment and constantly changing it, thus wasting peoples time and efforts.

Monotonous, boring and limited in growth.

Registered Dietitian (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

Pros- a good place to fine-tune counseling skills & work with a variety of patients.
    - great coworkers
    - can work from home

Cons- supervisors micro-manage like I have never seen before
    - profit-driven, which can often hinder the quality of care
    - lack of respect from supervisors/managers - would rather have greater employee turnover than invest in their current employees
    - downtime - actually made me feel like I was wasting my life at the company/doubt career, which has never happened at another position

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust in your employees more to provide quality care without having to nit-pick calls to death just to find a way to deduct a point on call reviews

Working at Alere is Ok. There are some challenges and frustrations as at any place.

San Diego, CA

ProsThe work is very interesting. In general, the people are great to work with. The company provides opportunities for socializing so that people from different departments are able to meet.

ConsThe lack of focus. With such a large, widespread company, priorities need to be set, progress measured, and decisions made.

Alere is going downhill

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsAble to work at home in some positions.

ConsMicro-management. No respect for their employees some of whom have been professionals for years. They do not welcome any input from their employees. Their new Mission statement emphasizes "increased revenue" over everything else including their employees. Their ears seemed to be closed to any suggestions for improvement in the morale of the employees. They don't seem to realize they won't have a company if their employees continue to quit as they are doing in droves. I also agree with another employee who "spilled the beans". This company asks employees to "brand" the call as if the employee actually works for the particular insurance company itself when they don't. They also record the calls and the insurance company can hear the calls and learn things about the patient without the patient's knowing how much is truly shared with the insurance company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up !! Listen to your employees !! You won't have a company if everyone quits.

Worked for Alere? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alere reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alere CEO Ron Zwanziger. All 118 reviews posted anonymously by Alere employees.