Alere Health

2.1

CEO

Alere has a great team.

I worked at Alere Health

Pros

There is a great group of people trying to figure out the next steps for the company.

Cons

It is a tough market.

Alere Heath

I have been working at Alere Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Alere Health offers opportunities to work from home, which is a huge benefit. I work with many great, caring people. PTO is generous and you are able to have a work/life balance.

Cons

While I enjoy the people I work with, I have never seen such disfunction in relation to the IT departments. Horrible, horrible service due to the actions of upper management. HR is another example; totally absent and shows no care or empathy for employees. Additionally, upper management is always reactive vs. proactive. I think one of the reasons coworkers support each other is because we all realize how challenging it is to work for such incompetent upper management. Hoping Optum will provide better management leadership and we can all do what we have a passion for, which is changing people's lives for the better - our clients and our own.

Quit micro managing your employees and get your own house in order. Plan and enact appropriately, instead of racing from one failed initiative to another. Employees need clear leadership, not changing made constantly and pivoting from one "issue of the week" to another. Laser intensity for a month or so and then it just drops off the radar. In absence of real leadership, people have to set their own priorities and agendas.

Typical of Employers Today

Former Employee - IT Person in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Alere Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paycheck nevwer bounced. Work at home was good.

Cons

Constant reduction of workforce made it difficult to execute IT policies. Eliminated jobs were generally replaced with Cognizant & other off shore suppliers. All the key systems are run by $12/hour "consultants".

Your attempt to create a "culture" was laughable. The "values" were in effect only as long as they served whatever hidden long term agenda was in effect that week. Keep up the good work. You'll be out the door next.

Disorganized, Massive layoffs

Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Alere Health full-time

Pros

Lax dress code. Nice building. Competitive pay.

Cons

Massive turnover at this company with firings and layoffs seemingly every week. Middle Management is poor and the structure of the company is very disorganized. Ive worked at two fortune 500 companies and rarely saw turnover. Its astronomical here.

Replace the Directors with new blood. The departments are completely disorganized and it reflects in the workday.

clinican

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Alere Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work from home which i now have to pay for.

Cons

Hard to work
    No opportunity growth
    they do not reward longevity
    Managers only want to promote individuals that agree with their suggestion regardless of consequences
    No incentive , or raise
    They have a do as I say not as I do mentality
    They do not want question asked
    They expect more work in same amount of hours work and penalize you for not staying caught up

Get involved with those that work the first line
    Allow for career advancement

Overworked

Current Employee - PSA in New York, NY
    Current Employee - PSA in New York, NY

I have been working at Alere Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Direct manager, monday through friday position

Cons

Do not practice what they preach.

Alere Health's Days Are Numbered

Current Employee - Middle Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Alere Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work at home is the only benefit to working here

Cons

Alere Health keeps losing clients and throwing money at a business model that’s no longer viable and offers questionable value. Insurance companies can (and DO) provide the same service for a much lower cost. It no longer makes sense to pay a third party vendor like Alere for their products. The DMAA’s own internal studies show there is absolutely no evidence disease management works to contain costs or help individuals. Yet the leaders of this division spent seventy million dollars to replace a clinical system with one that’s little enhanced from the previous. This at the expense of many, many rounds of layoffs to compensate for this poorly conceived and ill-timed expenditure. Now, Alere is hoping to spinoff this problematic division. This will prove a bitter pill for any prospective new owner to swallow. Run far, run fast from this company!

Challenge to stay positive, and keep afloat.

I have been working at Alere Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Work from home opportunities abound.
    2) Lucky to have a great manager and mentor for many years.
    3) A team of rockstars that one truly cares about.
    4) You are actually helping out people, and helping them to live healthier lives.

Cons

1) Constant layoffs. No fun having to let go of good people only to then have other areas hire where you could have just moved someone.
    2) Cut costs to attain profitability. Guess that goes into the layoffs in #1.
    3) May want to sign up for Obamacare vs. their high deductible health plan options. Obamacare isn't far off.
    4) 2% raises max. Always fun trying to reward and retain your people with a monster 2% bucket. Been that way for at least the past 4 years...before that the bucket was 3-4%.
    5) Lots of talk about selling the company / divestiture from the parent company. Maybe it'll be a good thing.

Long Term IT Employee

Former Employee - IT Person in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Alere Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for this company for many years. The IT staff is intelligent, knowledgeable and experienced. Most managers tried to move things forward. The salary was reasonable as was their work from home policy (flexible). Their programs were pretty good for participants and I feel that initially this company had good intentions.

Cons

Alere has jumped the shark.

Like any large public company who've acquired several other companies, Alere is stagnant. Senior management is only focused on making quarterly profits meet expectations instead of making the company a leader in the industry. The staff and middle management is jaded, on-edge, overworked (or bored depending on the dept) and totally confused as to what is going on in the corporate board room.

Senior management has a record of coming in and telling everyone that they're doing great and that their jobs are secure, and then laying off hundreds of people a week later ten days before Christmas. The IT staff is then expected to absorb the tasks that the staff that was laid off were responsible for, along with their already 40 hour a week job. I saw this happen five years in a row.

The staff is shuffled around between managers constantly. For five years they gave max raises of 2% and every year the review process changed so you couldn't refer to your previous year's goals. Major IT projects are given incomprehensibly short deadlines that cannot be met and if you speak up about it, they just tell you that it must be done. There is no cohesive understanding of goals (except revenue generation).

Senior Management needs to understand that if you continue to lie to people, change your mission, change the review process, and give short deadlines for projects that do not have clear guidelines, end-results or measurable value, you will lose your long term, most experienced staff members to companies who are more progressive in the industry. Without the trust of your employees you have nothing.

Good experience over past 5 years.

Current Employee - --- in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - --- in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Alere Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

WFH and flex time, interesting projects, wonderful people to work with.

Cons

instability of organization. transition of many positions to parent company

none at this time.