Alere

Alere Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Alere Chairman, President, and CEO Ron Zwanziger

Ron Zwanziger

Pros
  • Work from home so you don't have to face the people making your work life horrible(in 15 reviews)

• The company is also very flexible about working from home, which adds greatly to achieving a work/life balance(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management claims to want to be proactive but never seems to get out of reactive mode(in 6 reviews)

• Awful health benefits, basically emergency coverage even for the more expensive plans(in 5 reviews)

Rewarding job, company not so much.

RN Complex Care Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe complex case management model is effective and makes a difference in patient outcomes. Very flexible work environment.

ConsIsolation in a remote work environment is a big concern. My CM team leaders did not promote collaboration amongst team members to increase moral. Benefit options decreased and are very expensive. Salary range is at the very low end of industry standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the loyal high performers. Acknowledge staff when they receive positive feedback from clients and patients.

great company, some divisions in flux

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosalere has a great culture. some divisions are better than others. the company is going through a lot of changes. the womens health is dying off but there are great people there

Conslots of opportunities everywhere but the company is so large, you can't get from one division to the other.

Very confused without any clear direction or rather too many directions at once

R&D (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsHave a lot of autonomy. No one looking over my shoulder. Really good products.

ConsAlways waiting for a lay off. No R&D leadership which has resulted in no organic growth. Very little experience in R&D. Operations does not look past today. Ops is very reactive without any plan for even the near future like next month.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet into some detail and replace the less competent with management that know their subjects or have experience. Too many leading that don't know how to lead.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Data Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent Benefits, technology is stable

ConsLots of turnover. Unstable management

Advice to Senior ManagementMore internal training and structure

Difficult work experience due to problematic management.

Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI work from home which is great and people are friendly.

ConsSevere micro management. Direct supervisor difficult to work with, constant criticism and very little positive feedback. Highly critical environment. Previous positions have been higher stress but less micromanagement. Regular fear of layoffs is highly stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust employees to do their jobs as they are professionals. Positive feedback is crucial to a satisfied employee. Be more transparent when layoffs are impending.

Good start, some growth, bad end

Manager, Support Services (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood learning experience
    Good co-workers
    Good Pay
    Good middle management
    Descent Accrual of PTO
    Somewhat descent work-from-home opportunities

ConsSeems to be an increasing "Need" to perform head-count reduction
    Lack of training opportunities
    Lack of career path enhancement
    As with most companies the problem is rarely with folks at the lower levels... they do their jobs and get things done, it seems to be that the problems stem from the top several tiers where most of the money is earned and people are rewarded even though the decisions they make are not benefitting the company

Advice to Senior ManagementStart performing your RIFs from the top down. Leave the seasoned employees, who are doing their jobs, alone and promote from within.

average

Chemist (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe coffee cart is one of the only perks!

ConsBenefits are reduced yearly, there is no office culture and no room for personal growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor and inconsistent communication

Terrible IT organization

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsVery few. Only one I can think of is the casual dress code. There are some good employees left (but very few).

ConsAs some others have noted the culture and organizational structure in IT is toxic and has been for many years. The heads of IT (CIO, eVP's, VP's, etc) are absolutely not qualified to be in their positions. They treat the employees like peons with loathing and disrespect. It is both the "old guard" that is the problem and the new people they have brought in (who are spending money all over the place while laying off the people that do the work).

This is one of the least process / procedure driven IT organizations I've ever seen.

Other reviews go more in depth about the level of disfunction but I will sum it up with "toxic".

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must first stop the bleeding before you can fix the problem.

1) Realize the long term strategies (and people) that have put you in this situation.
    2) Realize that the new team you've brought in are just creating more chaos while burning money. I suspect they will get their bonuses and then leave you in a smoking hole.
    3) Step back, re-evaluate, start valuing your employees and changing the culture to reward accomplishments.

Good intentions, Poor execution

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsGood ideas and talented people. Can do attitude.

ConsBelow average pay and benefit. More and more political. Poorly integrated. Unproven strategy.

More layoffs than you can shake a stick at.

(Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLax dress code - jeans environment
    Work from home
    Wellness programs

ConsTerrible organizational culture
    Quarterly stealth layoffs
    Overworked and under appreciated
    Terrible management
    Very top - heavy organization
    Brain drain - lots of great people are leaving
    Ever - reducing health benefits; high premiums
    High corporate management turnover
    Activist investors
    Decreasing health improvement client base - constant fear of being sold due to loss of contracts
    Micromanaging at its finest
    2 percent salary increases
    No 401(k) match
    No job security - constantly in fear of being laid off
    Poor communication from management

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost and will continue to lose great people. The environment that you create is caustic and oppressive. You have great people that you do not cultivate. For many, the only way to move up is to move out. It's endemic in this organization.

I am fearful of Alere's prospects, especially on the health management side. Your customer service operation is a joke and you will continue to lose clients if your practice is to hire low - wage contractors to interact with your clients' members. They are not properly trained and it shows.

The direction of Alere seems rudderless. The CEO and COO are all over the place and the deception and obfuscation about the state of the company is apparent and the town halls do nothing to mask how poorly the company is doing. In fact, they make it more apparent.

It goes without saying that Alere is not a meritocracy. The capable get shafted and the cunning are rewarded - this is probably not unique to Alere, but should be noted.

I worked for Alere a little over three years - saw about 3 or 4 division presidents and 3 division CEOs. Get what I'm saying? There is no job stability, career growth and the stealth layoffs are completely demoralizing. To boot, there are no announcements - one moment the person you regularly work with will just stop replying to business emails, it's only when you look in the directory or call them that you realize they are gone. Alere has a culture which finds this completely acceptable. A contributing factor to why the company is in decline.

This is a dying company. I predict whole divisions will be sold or phased out. If you can help it start your career with a competitor - Humana, United Healthcare, Healthways, etc. Not only are the starting salaries generally below market value, you only get pay increases of 2 percent. This is standard across the board no matter your marks and there us NO 401(k) match. Just look elsewhere.

Worked for Alere? Contribute to the Community!