Alere

Alere Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Alere Chairman, President, and CEO Ron Zwanziger

Ron Zwanziger

Pros:
  • "Some employees can work from home, mostly only the highest paid"
    in 14 reviews
  • "The company is also very flexible about working from home, which adds greatly to achieving a work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most upper management had no idea how to get IT work done in an enterprise management"
    in 5 reviews
  • "It is all about work productivity and micromanaging"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Alere has its up and down

QC Technician (Former Employee)
Mira Mesa, CA

I worked at Alere as a contractor for more than a year

ProsMeet a lot of awesome people

ConsManagement could have been better. Too inexperience!

Overworked, Underpaid, Forced Overtime

Extractionist (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at Alere full-time for less than a year

ProsGood place to get experience since they hire people fresh out of college. The work is easy, just tedious and time consuming. As much overtime as your heart desires.

ConsManagement turnover is horrible. There has been 4 different managers in under 2 years and every time a new manager comes in they make new rules and try to fix problems they dont understand. Instead of hiring more extractionists they give you more work. In training they said you for 150 samples per 8 hours but instead they have people doing 250-300 samples a day. The company does whatever is best for them and does not really care about the employees. Recently every extractionist was forced to come in and work an extra day.

Advice to Senior ManagementForcing employees to work extra days is a fast way to lose half your staff! Hire more people and maybe you wont be so behind

The absolute worst company I have ever worked for

Engineering Technician (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Alere full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is plenty of Overtime and free alcohol on Friday.

ConsThe engineers are a hard headed group of people. they do not want you to touch their equipment so they would rather you call them and and ask them what to do. Your input doesn't count so if you try to give any you are always wrong no matter what. there is no bonus and the health benefits are extremely expensive with a high deductible.

Advice to Senior Managementget your engineers to team up with technicians and work together. there is no way the engineers can do proper design work without the help of the technicians.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low pay, little direction, boys club

I worked at Alere full-time

Proshigh base salary, car allowance, good customer base

Conslow commission, few internal promotions, burn out, integrating too many divisions...no one can be an expert at EVERYTHING....

Advice to Senior Managementpromote your people

If you want to be treated terribly, this is the place to work!!

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Alere full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking remotely - use that time to look for another job!!!!

ConsPay is way below market value
Managers and VPs are horrible - treat everyone like dirt
Managers will take credit for your work then blast you for the most mundane things.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the multiple layers of VPs - too top heavy
Compensate employees at market value - and a 2% raise is not motivation to stick around
Coach managers and VPs on how to treat others

kills your spirit

I worked at Alere full-time

ProsSome employees can work from home, mostly only the highest paid. Alere provides a great service to the people who receive its disease management programs. For a U.S. company, the time-off policy is moderately good.

ConsMicro-management occurs at many levels. There's no way to please management, who changes their minds every week, it seems. What you're told to do one day you're then yelled at for doing the next. The Peter Principle applies to this company: many who are promoted are at best incompetent, at worst completely uncaring to those under them. For a company focused on health, not caring about employees' health and often contributing to decline of mental health is hypocritical. Employees are held to impossible standards. It's sad, because many employees genuinely cared about their work and the company's mission, until they were demoralized out of there, or fired for often ridiculous reasons, or laid off because of management incompetence and capriciousness. All this on top of low pay for everyone but the nurses and the top-heavy middle and top management.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and start over. I honestly don't think this company can be saved as is.

Difficult to understand the priorities and direction of the company

I worked at Alere full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEncouraged independent thought and ideas

ConsDeveloped a management structure that was not conducive to individuality and creative ideas. Top down management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a strong consistent strategy. Stick to it and encourage more contribution from line managers and personnel within the company

Only If Your Desperate

San Diego, CA

I worked at Alere full-time for more than a year

ProsA few nice people
Had a great boss whose hands were tied because of upper managment.

ConsEverything else.
Management has no clue how to run a business or take care of their employees.
They make it impossible for good people to stay. Employee's are treated badly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some people who know how to run a company without micromanaging everything and make sure they now how to treat their employees.

Micromanagement Central

Quit Coach (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Alere full-time for more than a year

ProsSome leadership members are transparent and understanding.

ConsMicromanagement. Health benefits through group health are not even usable.

A good company, due to the recent FDA issue the company has lost many talented employee

I have been working at Alere

ProsStructured management, hard working workers, great facility and company gym, lots of employee interaction and activity, good benefit for permeant employee

ConsToo much politic and not enough ear to listen to their employee that familiar with the problem. Too many temporary contractor

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to focus listen to employee and understanding why they feel they way!

Worked for Alere? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alere reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alere CEO Ron Zwanziger. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by Alere employees.