Alere Reviews

Updated August 13, 2014

2.5

Alere Chairman, President, and CEO Ron Zwanziger
Ron Zwanziger

Pros
  • Work from home so you don't have to face the people making your work life horrible (in 16 reviews)

• The company is also very flexible about working from home, which adds greatly to achieving a work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management claims to want to be proactive but never seems to get out of reactive mode (in 6 reviews)

• Awful health benefits, basically emergency coverage even for the more expensive plans (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Had great vision and great people, but lost them both

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Alere full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Was pretty good as Biosite, but no good reason to work there since Alere acquisition.

Cons

Alere may be ok as an employer of call center nurses, or production people. But they don't understand biotech or med devices. All the good R&D talent left, and without R&D this place only has another few years of life while they run out all the old product. Foreign HR people came from low tech production plant overseas and don't know how to get/retain scientific or tech people in a competitive region. No future here, pass and go work for SD companies who do genes or drugs.

No point giving advice to management who doesn't listen.

The most negative and fearful company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Clinical  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical in San Diego, CA

I worked at Alere full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay. However, 'golden handcuffs'

Cons

Awful managers. Fear driven decisions that make priorities change weekly. No teamwork....just anxious people snapping at others.

Start over.

If you want to work for The Devil....

I worked at Alere full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home so you don't have to face the people making your work life horrible.
    Other employees will help you find a new job outside of the company because we all know how bad it is.

Cons

No room for movement upward; they promote the person they can manipulate the most rather than those that could improve the company
    Extreme micromanagement.
    Managers and supervisors belittle you and cannot take criticism. They are threatened by intelligent people.
    Awful health benefits, basically emergency coverage even for the more expensive plans.
    They don't care about your professional development. I feel like I've gone backward in my career and professional skills since taking this job.
    They act like they are all about health and wellness, but in my life I haven't felt so unhealthy as I did working there. I went from happy and chipper to irritable and depressed in about 3 months time.
    PTO cap is 120 hours.

Treat your employees with respect.
    Provide opportunities for growth and development.
    Supervisors should do more than watch our screens to make sure we're in the correct aux codes.
    Hire competent supervisors and managers .

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked, Underpaid, Forced Overtime

Current Employee - Extractionist  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Extractionist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Alere full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to get experience since they hire people fresh out of college. The work is easy, just tedious and time consuming. As much overtime as your heart desires.

Cons

Management turnover is horrible. There has been 4 different managers in under 2 years and every time a new manager comes in they make new rules and try to fix problems they dont understand. Instead of hiring more extractionists they give you more work. In training they said you for 150 samples per 8 hours but instead they have people doing 250-300 samples a day. The company does whatever is best for them and does not really care about the employees. Recently every extractionist was forced to come in and work an extra day.

Forcing employees to work extra days is a fast way to lose half your staff! Hire more people and maybe you wont be so behind

The absolute worst company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Engineering Technician  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Alere full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is plenty of Overtime and free alcohol on Friday.

Cons

The engineers are a hard headed group of people. they do not want you to touch their equipment so they would rather you call them and and ask them what to do. Your input doesn't count so if you try to give any you are always wrong no matter what. there is no bonus and the health benefits are extremely expensive with a high deductible.

get your engineers to team up with technicians and work together. there is no way the engineers can do proper design work without the help of the technicians.

Low pay, little direction, boys club

I worked at Alere full-time

Pros

high base salary, car allowance, good customer base

Cons

low commission, few internal promotions, burn out, integrating too many divisions...no one can be an expert at EVERYTHING....

promote your people

kills your spirit

I worked at Alere full-time

Pros

Some employees can work from home, mostly only the highest paid. Alere provides a great service to the people who receive its disease management programs. For a U.S. company, the time-off policy is moderately good.

Cons

Micro-management occurs at many levels. There's no way to please management, who changes their minds every week, it seems. What you're told to do one day you're then yelled at for doing the next. The Peter Principle applies to this company: many who are promoted are at best incompetent, at worst completely uncaring to those under them. For a company focused on health, not caring about employees' health and often contributing to decline of mental health is hypocritical. Employees are held to impossible standards. It's sad, because many employees genuinely cared about their work and the company's mission, until they were demoralized out of there, or fired for often ridiculous reasons, or laid off because of management incompetence and capriciousness. All this on top of low pay for everyone but the nurses and the top-heavy middle and top management.

Clean house and start over. I honestly don't think this company can be saved as is.

If you want to be treated terribly, this is the place to work!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Alere full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working remotely - use that time to look for another job!!!!

Cons

Pay is way below market value
    Managers and VPs are horrible - treat everyone like dirt
    Managers will take credit for your work then blast you for the most mundane things.

Get rid of the multiple layers of VPs - too top heavy
    Compensate employees at market value - and a 2% raise is not motivation to stick around
    Coach managers and VPs on how to treat others

Don't seem to know what they doing in the Digital Innovations

Former Employee - Director  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Alere as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I don"t know five words.

Cons

Don't hire someone and change your mind. Make up your mind before you make the offer.

What happened to me is completely unprofessional. I was hired without a face-to-face interview, setup with email, access to tools that I needed to do the job remotely, and then told the second day that they wanted someone else. I have never been treated so unprofessionally! It is a clear indicator of the chaos in that department and perhaps reflective of the whole company.

Micromanagement Central

Former Employee - Quit Coach  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Quit Coach in Seattle, WA

I worked at Alere full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some leadership members are transparent and understanding.

Cons

Micromanagement. Health benefits through group health are not even usable.

Worked for Alere? Contribute to the Community!