Alert Logic

Updated December 4, 2014
Updated December 4, 2014
3.2

Gray Hall

A fun, challenging, "target rich" environment.

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alert Logic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love that I can take ownership of so many aspects essential to succeeding in my job. This is a place where individualism, being a socially awkward geek is socially embraced. The company still believes it is a start-up and in many respects it is - but is transitioning to being a more responsible operating company. What some do not understand with tempered experience is that transitions of culture, business, applications, operations and sales is tough. Much tougher than some at glassdoor give credit for. This place is stacked to the ceiling with crazy intelligent, great people of great character. As a social experiment a $5 bill was left in the open in a common use area for 12 days and no one moved it. Can many companies say that? Gray Hall the CEO is amazing, personable and always razor sharp on his "A" game and will happily ask you penetrating questions that keep you on your "A" game. Seriously, Gray is a rock solid, great man and leader.

I enjoy working long hours, so for me the opportunities are positive. Many would move this comment to a Con.

Cons

Alert Logic is almost a lifestyle choice more than a job, so be prepared to do a lot of work and at a lot of off hours. Some of the Executive Management has limited experience with senior management, let alone at the executive level and it can sometimes show. There are too many mandate projects that must be supported without sufficient staffing support - many of these have nothing to do with supporting new/existing products or future growth. Somewhat of a military "FIGMO" attitude.

Gray, please breakup the boys club and transition some with far more executive experience into those positions. Move those folks (the pretty princesses) to more strategic roles without any personnel management responsibilities or the ability to throw others under a bus that they are ignoring.

Tremendous Growth Opportunity... With Ineffectual Management Structure

I have been working at Alert Logic

Pros

Alert Logic has outstanding potential with the technology, and staff that have been employed. There are several high performers in the company that are willing and able to achieve if given the opportunity. Alert Logic's hypothetical business market that they are attempting to capture is very viable, and Alert Logic could become an legitimate market leader if changes were made.

There are several events throughout the year, such as "Waffle Wednesday", the Halloween Party, and other events that allow people (mostly in the Houston office, although that has changed a little bit) to participate in company bonding events. Time off is average compared to the industry.

Personal growth opportunities are there, but there have been a lot of aspects that have caused company morale to become less glad about the aspects. There is a lot of improvement needed to change this aspect.

Cons

There have been instances of extremely poor communication and infighting between organizational groups.

For inter- and intra-departmentmental communication it is true that emails are sent quite frequently when an issue occurs. However there is an extremely amount of tension between groups, and sometimes even within groups. This has allowed for fundamental issues to not be resolved for months or until a "fire" (i.e. a potential churn or customer complains) causes the issue to be resolve. Although fires cannot be completely avoided, currently there is a major "fire" at least once a week, or a series of minor incidents that expand for days at a time. As a result, groups are extremely taxed with resolving problems and are not able to determine the root cause of what is occurring, allowing for similar issues to occur days, weeks or a month or two down the line.

A side effect of these fires are cases of infighting between organizations groups. This may also be caused by the rapid growth of the organization, which has allowed for strife and ineffectual communication. Many of the employees who could have assisted with improving the company, or were passionate about the company's goals, have left as a result of management not using them to their best potential, and for many because of the non-competitive salaries compared to the field (even when you include the above average health and medical package).

The office culture has stagnated and has not evolved above the start up environment in the last few years. The company is diverse, but management is no longer willing to promote individuals from within who may be capable of becoming leads or managers unless they have an "in" with someone in management. Where there used to be forward promotion available, there is now opportunities to see newcomers, many who were former coworkers of middle and senior management, take on managerial roles within the company. This has depressed morale.

Many roles in the company are not clearly defined, and also do not have information about how to become promoted within. This has caused individuals to feel that employees that are promoted are either not completing necessary steps to become promoted or have a friend in another department or within management that has promote the employee (even if this is not in fact true in all cases). Clearly defining these roles and paths for promotion needs to be a goal for the organization quickly to improve retention.

Most groups do not have a training budget, or the training budget is frequently removed to cut costs. As a result many employees have not found incentive to remain in positions, or have decided to move on.

There is also an atmosphere of using sales as a means of creating new products or services without considering the impact for all employee. As a result this is also leading to products being created by development with little lead time to fit with the needs of customers that were already sold the product in advance.

Alert Logic is now beyond 10 years old. It has long past been time to stop considering the company as a start up. Please begin to listen to ALL of your employees, and stop turning a blind eye to the lack of consistent training, career development, and other opportunities, as well as the communicate gaps seen. The office culture has completely changed for the worse and there has not been a honest and forthright review of what needs to be done to improve this aspect.

Until senior management makes a concerted effort to improve the morale of the company, there is a possibility of another period of employee churn in the next 1-3 months.

"Greater sales will overcome all the problems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alert Logic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Recruit highly talented workers who truly care about pioneering the next great online frontier in data security. Good health insurance benefits.

Cons

The C-level and VP club from their previous company have all re-formed here. While I can't speak to what it must have been like previously, at Alert Logic this team is considerably ill-equipped for the roles they're in. There are huge department misalignments that prevent the business from moving forward much less scaling, infighting across departments that is prevalent across the entire organization, confusion throughout the company over which departments own what, an overall unwillingness to change ('because we used to do it at such-and-such so it'll work here!'), hiring experts in their fields but not allowing them to do the work they were hired to do because the ideas are contrary to the those in VP/SVP levels who are completely out of their depth. We are actually regressing in the tools we use to run the business, and we are perpetually understaffed, complicated further by making poor business decisions like changing enterprise-level tools to repurposed tools not designed for how we plan to use them. Regardless of the impact to personnel and productivity, we are changing one of our core tools to an unreliable, cobbled together product that takes literally 3-5x longer to do the same simple record update than our current tool. And, let's not forget the product suite. We rush to market with products that are poorly engineered. We're at a stage where we can't keep our products working--they are breaking weekly if not sooner, and the interval for fixes is getting longer and longer. Management tends to lead by intimidation, the turnover rate is unbelievably high, and my peers and even non-peers openly talk about how miserable they are, how they dread coming to work, and how they never know whether or not they'll be escorted out on any given day. This is an environment built on paranoia, 'not my job,' and heaven help you if you say the wrong thing to the wrong person, or propose ideas for change that go against the grain of how we've always done things, or---don't put in 80 hour weeks every week--well, you get the idea. We work people to death. Perceptions and half-truths are 100% the reality here, and if your boss doesn't see you at your desk at 7:30pm (despite the fact that you were there at 7am and put in 12 hours with no rest or meal breaks of any kind), well, you're clearly slacking and that will ABSOLUTELY come back to haunt you, sooner versus later. There is no concept for work/life balance, and I suppose that's been borne out of need based on the kludgy product. Pioneering, yes. Great ideas, yes! Horrible execution and even worse management.

The board needs to step in and make sweeping changes at the executive level. The current team isn't capable of maintaining or growing a company in the $50M-250M range. It's painfully evident. Good folks, most of them, just out of their depth.

I worked at Alert Logic

Pros

Alert Logic has a diverse technology stack - Big data, NoSQL, SQL, Grid computing, Virtualization, Expert system , Erlang. It is a great place to go to be exposed to a lot of different technologies. The company is full of bright hard-working people that really care.

Cons

Management at the VP level and above is way out of their league - People who are good technicians but poor managers - People who are probably good managers but way out of their technical depth - People who are both poor managers and poor technicians. There is no work-life balance at Alert Logic. As someone mentioned previously it is not a job but a lifestyle. The products are held together with chewing gum and bailing wire.

Start caring about the people that work at Alert Logic they are your biggest asset. Take a hard look at senior management - The people who got you here, will not get you there. Fix the products and the infrastructure. Putting new lipstick on an old pig is not fixing the problem.

OK place to start and get experience

I have been working at Alert Logic

Pros

Nice people, good location, free starbucks

Cons

Can be stressful, not family orientes

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Network Security Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Network Security Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alert Logic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A culture of promoting Geeks. They really don't stand in your way and if you think you can for work they will let you work.

Cons

A good starter company for anyone who wants to progress and then leave

keep the good work running.

The time has come; everyone is jumping ship

Current Employee - Service and Support in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Service and Support in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alert Logic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with bleeding-edge technology.

Cons

Too many chiefs out of touch with the abundant problems built into the products. I've never seen so many vice presidents at such a small company. None of them really understand their business

The decision to dedicate the same group of people to develop new products who developed the problems of today meets with the definition of insanity. Are you really expecting different results. This company is run by the Sales team, motivated by daily gossip. Poor model.

Selfish Senior Management - Good starter company ONLY if you are fresh out of college.

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Alert Logic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They do hire smart people, who leave for greener pastures shortly after they realize what they have signed up for is not worth it. A good starter company to get your feet wet and get some industry experience in IT security.

Cons

Self centered senior management, High attrition among engineering and other divisions. No bonus. Closed knit senior management team are buddies from past gigs, who have been handed responsibilities with no relevant experience or skills.

Incentivise engineers & other staff to stay-on; besides senior management, other should also get stock grants, options or at least some bonus if the company & sales are doing well.

best company for geeks

I worked at Alert Logic (more than an year)

Pros

everybody is very passionate when it comes to ppl working in the operations.

Cons

working with dev guy slow progreee nothing gets done. all promises no output.

good job!

Mixed Bag at Alert Logic

Current Employee - Customer Care in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alert Logic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, and overall good culture as far as co-workers go. Senior Management and Directors are a different story.

An added bonus is that they promote from within. However, I think this is often done because it is cheaper to do so. It shows.

Cons

On the low end of compensation comparatively speaking. Senior Management is lacking in creativity, flexibility, and vision. This fault has been pointed out by many. The company is way too focused on their Sales division with Sales Execs having way too much power in a Service -Oriented business. The inner workings of the company are adversely impacted by this. Finally, this company goes through drastic Re-Orgs every year. By the time you get used to the new structure, and very often your new job functions, it's time for another Re-Org.

While on a personal level the CEO seems like a nice enough guy, overall I disapprove of his handling of what is an obvious problem in Senior Management.

So many reviews have knocked the quality of management. I think it is time you do something about this deficiency.