Alessi Bakeries Reviews

1. Tolerate the Cons for the Pros

Former Employee - Manufacturing Plant Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Plant Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Alessi Bakeries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) It's a small, family-owned business, with a very large manufacturing plant. 2) Depending on who you are and what you do, the pay and schedule flexibility can be very good. 3) If you keep quiet, do your job, fly low under the radar, and absolutely under no circumstance tell the owners "No", to any task, you will be okay.

Cons

1) It's a small, family-owned business, with a very large manufacturing plant. 2) They put all their eggs in one basket, so there is absolutely no team atmosphere. 3) Fledgling manufacturing plant - They're one large customer away from going out of business, if they ever lost that customer 4) Going through bankruptcy 5) No accountability of the two owners

Advice to Management

1) Get a board of directors. A small business of this magnitude needs the two owners to be held accountable for their decisions and especially their shady and whimsical financial practices. 2) Put forth a little time and effort to value and appreciate your employees, especially the loyal ones that have been around for a few years. Not all people are expendable. 3) Most importantly, get some true leadership and vision for the manufacturing plant! You need a real leader, with focus - someone with the passion, desire, motivation, a plan and a vision for the manufacturing plant. You have a potential gold mine at your fingertips, and don't see the forest for the trees.

2. Worst company I've worked for.

Former Employee - Cake Decorator
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator

I worked at Alessi Bakeries

Pros

They give you lots of hours with good pay and you were able to be creative.

Cons

Too much over time, not flexible with schedule. Employees talk behind your back, they don't like changes. Hire to fire.. HR told me they hire 300 people a year. Senior Alessi only looks out for himself not his employees. Rat infestation. Leaking roof won't fix till a storm comes through. Employees work in a sweat shop. Environment is uncomfortable. They don't want you to succeed. Sanitation needs to be informed to all associates. Hire Spanish speaking just to fire them because they don't understand. Not a great company all in all. They make you feel worthless.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees needs, should offer more benefits. Needs less drama.

3. Don't feel good about the future for alessi

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Alessi Bakeries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule. management doesn't really watch over many of the people

Cons

management is not in touch with daily activities. people are allowed to bring the environment down

Advice to Management

Focus on ONE business, not 5

5. One of the worst jobs ever of my life

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Tampa, FL

I worked at Alessi Bakeries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I took a paycheck home every week

Cons

ridiculous company. expects miracles from workers. will not give people tools to be successful. owners can not make up their mind. never had to work in a company where owner yells and screams at workers. shocking how they treat the people and still have any staff.

Advice to Management

managers never listen to any advice before, so any advice I may give here will not be taken.

6. Company struggles with management unable to commit to change

Former Employee - Staff in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Staff in Tampa, FL

I worked at Alessi Bakeries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff are more than willing to help each other and step in for projects.

Cons

High turn over, upper management is wishy-washy. People work here for YEARS doing a sub-par job with no real consequences. Seems like there's always a great idea or solution around the corner that never materializes. There have been people hired from across the country only to be fired or forced out after a few months. The Family Dynamic is INSANE and leaves good employees forced to choose between sides and wonder who will be left standing (Kind of like the Survivor TV Show). I wanted to slip a note to all those prospective employees telling them to RUN while they had the chance. Most staff feel like nothing will ever change about this company.

Advice to Management

Follow through on your commitments. Come to work consistently. When you're at work, concentrate on the work to be done. Don't stand up people who are waiting for you (stop cancelling 20 minutes after your meeting was supposed to start). Support your staff. Stop the Family B.S. and drama so your employees can focus on their jobs.

7. Never worked for a company quite as dysfunctional as this

Former Employee - Administrative Support/Sales in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Support/Sales in Tampa, FL

I worked at Alessi Bakeries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

coworkers do their best to support each other and help each other

Cons

Working here reminded me of a "Married with Kids" kind of family dysfunction. Staff here quickly learned to go along with the crazy directives of ownership. The company leadership was completely out of touch with reality.

Good people who were ready to contribute and get to work were discarded in favor of "old boy network" types who were willing to nod and agree with the ownership's clinging onto outdated notions. (In other words, if you were willing to shut up and agree with what you knew were bad ideas, you would do well. If you were ready to give honest ideas about how to move the company into the current century, you were on your way out the door).

Before I started here, I had stars in my eyes. The facility was beautiful, the idea behind the company (99 + years of family business) was comforting, the staff seemed to be cohesive. The owner talked a great game about hiring motivated people and making changes but in reality, all he wanted were more people who were on board, ready to parrot his ideas back to him. I hear that now the owner's son has taken over the business but that the Father is still actively involved in the day-to-day. Knowing that, I'd be skeptical that any meaningful change has been made. I can't imagine a man like the Elder Alessi would be willing to let anyone else take the reins.

Although it's been years since I worked there, the experience made me want to contribute this review so that any other person considering leaving their current job to take a job here think VERY carefully.

Advice to Management

Elder Alessi- realize that it's 2013, not 1973. Consider the ideas of the people you hire. When people share their thoughts with you, give them consideration before dismissing them. Understand that you may not always be right. Look at the people who have been with you for years and see the value you already have. Look at the people who have left over the years and ask yourself Why?

8. great company

Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL

I worked at Alessi Bakeries

Pros

great company to work for. Where everyone supports each other, and knowledge is always shared.

Cons

There are no real cons right now, Making big changes for the best

Advice to Management

Keep on the road you are on today. You have a great VP of sales. I commend you to giving him support. Alessi will be a household family name as is what I believed when I was part of the Alessi family

RSS Feed </> Embed