Alex Woo Reviews

Updated July 22, 2014
2.3

Alex Woo

"Broadened my Horizons"

I have been working at Alex Woo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Undoubtedly, one of the best facts that the Alex Woo Company has to offer is that all designs are one hundred percent made here in NYC. This fact is beneficial in the sense that many of our local manufacturers can remain in business within this competitive industry. Another very important factor to mention is the expansion and complete renovation of the office and how each team is now strategically coordinated to meet maximum efficiency.
    Alex Woo as a company is a place where we are not rated on individual performance where employees rise in ranks more than others or where promotions are given out. Instead all employees work cohesively together as a team and as a unit. Each employee has their own specific functions and responsibilities and are each at the helm in developing their tasks in the best way possible.
    I believe Alex Woo is a company of evolution, innovation and daily growth. Working alongside Alex Woo has broadened my horizons. It has given me a very different vision and approach when combining art and business to my pace and style.

Cons

Perfectionism. Too much focus on mistakes!

Continue growing as a company!

Enjoyed time and memories!

Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service in New York, NY

I worked at Alex Woo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best things I remember working at Alex Woo was it was small and had lots of opportunities to learn about the industry and what it takes to run a business. Alex respected work-life balance (much more than the companies I have worked at since!) and made everyone in the team comfortable coming in every day. I even remember holding Alex's baby!

Cons

Since it was small team there was not a lot of areas to grow or go up a ladder and everyone just did what was needed.

Continue to grow!

Interviewer

I have been working at Alex Woo

Pros

The fact that Alex Woo's line of product is made in New York.

Cons

From just having an hour interview with Alex you can tell that she is alienating herself from the best qualified candidates because of her micromanaging behavior. If you decide to interview with her just know that she will put limitations on you because she is trying to see if she can have you work in her one office with 11 to 15 people while giving you a minimal salary. "All that glitters isn't gold"

I would advise Alex to invest in a nicer size space in Chinatown/lower Manhattan to maximize her office space and give her employees opportunity to grow so that she can benefit from their growth.

Alex Woo Response

Jan 10, 2014COO

While we are not thrilled about this review, I do want to express thanks for this candidate's concern she shared to us in a separate email after the interview process was concluded. It is unfortunate ... More

AWFUL COMPANY

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Alex Woo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

close to train station that is about it

Cons

Awful environment, Alex can not manage and office, Half the time she is watching you work behind her computer screen. There are about 11 people bunched into one room. They do not even supply you with cups for water. She does not like anyone to take a lunch break. You have to sit through Monday meetings and hear about her weekend. Truely pointless. You Get to hear the other women fight for her attention. If you brown nose her you will make it, The pay is awful.

Alex get a bigger office, get an office manager

Worst work experience. EVER.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Alex Woo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office is located near multiple subway lines?

Cons

Disgusting office environment. The entire staff, including the designer, shares one tiny office space so she (Alex Woo) can watch over every single person. The pay and benefits (or lack thereof) is the minimal. If you enjoy extreme micromanagement and a boss that will pry into your personal life (always needs to know what doctor you are going to visit if you tell her you have a doc appt, and always needs to know where you are going if you step out for lunch, etc.), then this is the place for you. I have never dreaded going into work as much as I did when I worked for this company.

Hire some management. Alex Woo does not know the first thing about how to properly manage a staff.

Alex Woo Photos