Alex and Ani

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.4

Carolyn Rafaelian

The positive energy is contagious!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Alex and Ani full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I say the positive energy is contagious, I truly mean it. I am a self-proclaimed pessimist and being engulfed in an environment focused on positivity and self-improvement rubbed off on me in the best way possible. Although my team and I did not always see eye to eye, I knew I could always count on them to help me out with a tough time I was going through. I worked for Alex and Ani for over a year and a half and met many amazing people over that I will keep in touch with for a very long time. It saddens me to see some of the negative reviews on here, which I can only attribute to a disgruntled attitude from a former employee. Working at the Rye location taught me more about myself than any other job I have ever held and, for that, I am incredibly grateful.

Cons

It is tough to bridge the gap from retail to corporate- regardless of your education and outside work experience. I lay this blame on corporate's inability to hire someone that does not reside in their "inner circle" already.

Your eternal optimism may sometimes backfire- seeing the good in people may lead you down a slippery slope of undeserved trust and unnecessarily difficult situations.

Manager

Current Employee - Manager  in  New England, ND
    Current Employee - Manager in New England, ND

I have been working at Alex and Ani full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great safe environment to learn and be developed. I have learned more in two years then I have in any other company. Good communication between HQ and stores. Fast pace environment is a good fit for me.

Cons

I am a store manager and I love the team that works for me and the team I work for. Great positive support all around.

Slow down.

manager

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Alex and Ani full-time

Pros

No opportunity to find out.....

Cons

HR person incredibly disrespectful to prospective employees.....

HR Department and process embarrassing...... could not get it together to figure out interview times, non-responsive, dismissive, unprofessional. Totally disrespectful to prospective employees, who, by the way are prospective customers.....
    This is a bogus culture of positivity; if Alex and Ani truly lived the culture they would behave respectfully and professionally in the hiring process and beyond.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

manager

Former Employee - Manager  in  Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Manager in Providence, RI

I worked at Alex and Ani full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company was fast growing and taking care of employees until the CEO left. Now the people he hired are getting cut.

Cons

No defined direction of policy or corporate structure.

Hire a new CEO fast!

Ok experience

Former Employee - Bartender
    Former Employee - Bartender

I worked at Alex and Ani part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing co-workers, flexible scheduling, great employee discount

Cons

Corporate/retail relationship is not positive, not much opportunity for advancement

Absolutely NOT Positive

Current Employee - Key Holder  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Providence, RI

I have been working at Alex and Ani full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Coworkers were amazing, despite being a company who absoultely does not practice what they preach, they really atract some awesome people to work in their retail stores.
    -Fairly decent discount

Cons

Corporate is an absolute joke. As others have mentioned the HR department is completely useless and unprofessional. If you are a retail employee you as basically a useless peasant to corprate and they could not care less about you.
    The quality of merchandise is decreasing drastically. Most newer pieces aren't even made with recycled metals anymore.
    And the "positive energy technology"? Hahaha

Promoting within is awesome, IF those employees have ANY expiereience or training. There are so many people within the company who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. I don't know shouldn't be an answer to a serious question regarding someone's pay or benefits. However I do guess it's better than the usual response, which is nothing at all. The company is expanding fast and they are definitely not consultinng with or hiring all the right people.
    The company is also trying to expand past bangles with a home and candle line completely unsuccessfully. Try one thing at a time and do it WELL.
    Lastly, be consistent with the
    Logo. Using the old logo on packaging/ signage to save money is just amateur.

I wish positivity went deeper

Former Employee - Bartender  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Bartender in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Alex and Ani part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good discount, the customers really make this job, they really do. A few awesome supervisors.

Cons

Associates are more concerned with their sales than the customers. At the end of the day, a supervisor said "well I didn't sell much". They put on a good 'positive' face, but customers aren't first, the money is. I was awesome with customers who loved me, as well as other associates who thought I had great product knowledge, but that wasn't taken into consideration when letting me go - I "didn't learn quick enough" and "was always late" (which wasn't true). But you can't question them. What they say goes.

Positivity and money rarely goes in the same sentence. Either concern yourself with the money or how you treat customers and your associates - the profit will come from those two areas. If it isn't, then something else is wrong, but do NOT be guided by the money, which can turn people nasty. Also, KNOW who your GOOD workers are! Just because they look good doesn't mean they work good.

Unprofessional and Unorganized

Current Employee - Key Holder  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Alex and Ani full-time

Pros

Employee Discounts. Pay was decent. Store hours.

Cons

Very unprofessional. Corporate never knew what they were doing aswell as management. Nothing was organized nor structured. Upper management was horrible and NOT POSITIVE.

Learn how to manage the company yourself before you teach someone else. And if they keep firing good workers for no reason, they are asking for a lawsuit.

Nothing "Positive" About Working Here

Current Employee - Bartender (Bloomingdales)  in  Willow Grove, PA
    Current Employee - Bartender (Bloomingdales) in Willow Grove, PA

I have been working at Alex and Ani full-time for less than a year

Pros

50% off. Also received Bloomingdales discount as I was a bartender inside Bloomindgales.
    The management team at Bloomingdales: I was not employed there, but luckily I had them to fall back on if I need help.

Cons

Hours are TERRIBLE: Wed-Sun 11-7. Don't ask for a weekend off or to change your schedule. Horrible communication with management & upper management. Everyone is overworked and juggling too many tasks; things get lost in the shuffle.
    ***If you work as a bartender in Bloomingdales DO NOT expect to get any benefits EVEN IF YOU WORK FULL-TIME. I was denied benefits, commission/bonus, paid-time off, etc. because I didn't work in a brick & mortar Alex + Ani store, but still employed by Alex + Ani. Needless to say, after fighting it out with HR (which their HR dept is a complete JOKE) I quit.
    HR basically ignores you if you have any issues. They also took $0 in local taxes out of my pay - now I have received a bill - and do not respond when I email them.

Spend more time on your current management/HR policies and less time trying to crank-out new products every day.
    Happy employees create that "positive" mantra you supposedly live by.
    50% off items does not make up for lack of pay, bonus, paid-time off, etc.
    Listen to your employees and ANSWER them when they have a problem.
    Check-up on your employees other than thru email.

Appearance is deceiving

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Alex and Ani full-time

Pros

It is a Hip, young atmosphere

Cons

Management, the owner micromanages, for a company that's about self expression, the employees are forced into "stepford" workers, not daring to question any decisions or policies. You can lose your job in a heartbeat without cause or frankly, justification.

Actually Be the management you claim to be.

Worked for Alex and Ani? Contribute to the Community!