Alex and Ani

Positive All Around

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Alex and Ani full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is one of fairest I've ever seen. The products and message are hard to beat and there always seems to be new products or promotions every week. Customers are loyal and just as excited about the brand as the employees. A paycheck in my pocket every week and corporate/upper management really supports and stands behind the retail employees. Problems are always fixed as soon as they arise. Fabulous, and generous, employee discount!

Cons

Management always seems to be changing. Bartenders sometimes don't take the company and meaning of the job as seriously as management, which can be frustrating.

Make growth more attainable. Hone in on employees who really embody that "positive" energy and love the company, instead of those who just do it for the paycheck. Also, better communication between corporate/HQ and retail stores.

Love what you do and feel good while you do it

I have been working at Alex and Ani

Pros

Alex and ani allows you to make meaningful connections and an impact on people's lives. It also encourages positive energy and work and personal life balance

Cons

Salary can be better than what it is

Corporate decline

Former Employee - Manager in Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Manager in Cranston, RI

I worked at Alex and Ani full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company sponsored benefits, decent discount on product, corporate events and free tickets to sports events, concerts.

Cons

Huge changes in corporate upper management, they hire tons of execs that don't make it longer than 6months, but don't hire mid and lower employees that burden all the actual workload. Employees at lower levels work so far outside of their job descriptions while upper managers skate by. CEO was fired and subsequently so were all his "people", including the ones who made the company what it is today. Alex and Ani started in a basement of the factory in Cranston, now no one cares about the employees who started there.

Hire a new CEO who knows what they're doing. Quit pretending you're creating jobs and hiring people left and right when you fire people every Friday.

Hoping for positive improvements

Current Employee - Store Management
    Current Employee - Store Management

I have been working at Alex and Ani full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Products and message can't be beat! Upcoming product expansion is very exciting! Paid every week! Customers are great and we are empowered to say "yes" and fix any issues they have.

Cons

Management constantly changing, lack of loyalty to seasoned employees, upper management talks in "code", no one ever has a definite answers. Upper management is dismissive of issues and can't find time to hire more qualified managers.

Your managers need more training and it doesn't help that you change things everyday. Respect loyal employees. We all want to be here, but we feel like your trying to push us out by not promoting from within. Practice what you preach with coaching and development! Get your HR and payroll departments in order, there are daily issues with them. Stop punishing current employees that were hired and trained by terminated employees. We are different people and we deserve a chance. You need to pay employees based on the cost of living where the store is. The cost of living in RI is significantly lower than the other places you have stores. You are not attracting top talent because you aren't even offering competitive salary/hourly minimums for your markets ( though bartenders-management in RI make the most). We need another store in NJ and we need to go to Chicago already!

Great company with great values

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Alex and Ani part-time

Pros

What the company stands for and portrays is great for people who care about the world they live in and want a great experience to grow.

Cons

The management at the particular store was not the best, but they are working on ways to improve.

Terrible place to work, but wonderful coworkers

Current Employee - IT Employee in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - IT Employee in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Alex and Ani full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company has a fresh and "positive image", which attracts really great employees. Everyone had a great sense of humor, and most everyone in my department were hard workers. Some department managers were great!

Cons

For what the job was, pay was terrible. On call - never reimbursed for the time I had to work off the clock. Most disorganized work environment I had ever been apart of. I saw more organizational changes in 3 months than I have in my entire work experience elsewhere. No one was safe, every Friday people were fired. Company operated off of a a "You're luck to work for us" attitude, and no one felt appreciated. Very corrupt, and not very customer focused. Product costs about $1.50 to make and the mark up is ridiculous. The whole "Positive Energy" mantra is utter bull. Not practiced in the company, and no one was happy. Felt like Stockholm Syndrome being there.

Pay attention to your employees.

Not so positive........

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI

I worked at Alex and Ani full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of great people at the lower levels. Carolyn is nice but clueless or just looked the other way as to what was going on since he helped her make millions.

Cons

the CEO was a total scumbag. He was inappropriate with women who worked directly for him and did drugs at the office. If you weren't in his circle you might as well not work there. If you were in his circle, drugs parties and Mercedes and who knows what else. So many incompetent people. Complain about it and you were out not him. They finally fired him after the former general counsel sued the company and the sexual harassment and substance abuse came to light. Good riddance.

Hire the right people into senior management and let them do their jobs

Amazing!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Alex and Ani full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love my job. I have been in the industry for several years and have worked within a variety of well known and respected retail companies. I feel that I bring a good level if knowledge to my job. I guess the reason that I love my job the most is because it doesn't feel like a job. Each day, I get to walk into my beautiful store with pride. The product Is beautiful and manufactured in an eco-conscious manner, which makes it easy for me to represent and stand behind. I work for compassionate leaders who are well versed within their areas of expertise and who take a very civilized approach to all human relations. At the core of Alex and Ani's teachings is being that of your authentic self. The company focuses on individual development, in a compassionate way. They teach us to be better leaders and allow us the freedom to express our selves, assuming that we all come to the table with positive intent. The connection that we gain with our customers, through the amazing product and our store personnel is personal and genuine, as are our relations with our staff. Upper management is consistently focused on the customer experience, as well as, empowering their people through progressive education, respect and support for their people. Although Alex and Ani is growing at a fast pace, and we occasionally feel the growing pains of that excitement, alex and Ani gives us the tools to be the very best version of ourselves, every day.

Cons

I don't have any cons to share. My experience has been positive and up lifting. I wish there were more companies like us it there because it would change the world for the better.

This company has changed my life.

Current Employee - Bartend in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Bartend in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Alex and Ani part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere and relationship run so deep and strong between coworkers and clients. The company is part of a much bigger movement that is all about giving back, improving lives and living positively.

Cons

As with every business there are logistical restraints on what can and cannot be accomplished. Communicating with headquarters can be a challenge considering the amount of growth.

Take advice from the shining stars.

The positive energy is contagious!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Alex and Ani full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I say the positive energy is contagious, I truly mean it. I am a self-proclaimed pessimist and being engulfed in an environment focused on positivity and self-improvement rubbed off on me in the best way possible. Although my team and I did not always see eye to eye, I knew I could always count on them to help me out with a tough time I was going through. I worked for Alex and Ani for over a year and a half and met many amazing people over that I will keep in touch with for a very long time. It saddens me to see some of the negative reviews on here, which I can only attribute to a disgruntled attitude from a former employee. Working at the Rye location taught me more about myself than any other job I have ever held and, for that, I am incredibly grateful.

Cons

It is tough to bridge the gap from retail to corporate- regardless of your education and outside work experience. I lay this blame on corporate's inability to hire someone that does not reside in their "inner circle" already.

Your eternal optimism may sometimes backfire- seeing the good in people may lead you down a slippery slope of undeserved trust and unnecessarily difficult situations.

Alex and Ani Photos