Alexander Interactive

Updated May 20, 2014

Alex Schmelkin

Boring work, fun people

Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThis company takes pride in its culture of trying to be a fun place to work. There's always fun things going-on inside and outside the office. There's a core group of lifers who help maintain the vibe. Technology is a strong point for these guys. Good place for anyone starting out their career.

ConsClients come to AI wanting ecommerce sites 90% of the time. Makes for redundant, boring work. Especially if you're a designer. Account peeps overpromise things (but so do all agencies, I suppose). Pay is on the low-end of the spectrum, too.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the crusty/crotchety dog to sleep already. He bites, stinks and snores

"Great culture, great management, great process"

Project Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Great company culture! Not just externally with a great office, but also intrinsically - no ego's, no blaming, just learning. Work hard play hard mentality.
    - Great partners. Perfect balance of passion to do good work and and genuine goodness trickles down through the company.
    - Process is like no other. Makes things incredibly efficient and painless. It's not process for process sake, it more importantly makes sense.
    - Creative and UX team are incredible. Their work is outstanding.
    - Dev team is insanely smart. On the pulse of everything that is going on and always looking for ways to do kick-ass work.

Cons- Quickly growing so resources can be spread thin until new resources are hired (but management always puts an interim plan in place).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Keep hiring great peeps!

Internship that showed me that having fun made life and work better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe fun aspects of AI involved happy hours, bagel mondays, and summer activities. The office dog was an additional perk and made things fun. The open layout and fun decor made the work place more comfortable and everyone seemed more at ease, even during the wrap up of projects.

ConsI wasn't able to learn much in terms of tasks and opportunity, but I learned a lot about office politics and the importance of teamwork. Everyone that worked there was open to talking to about what they did and that was helpful.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn/grow.

Tech Lead (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat atmosphere, team. Smart co-workers, and a lot of ways to grow your career

ConsDeadlines can be aggressive, there's also an upper limit to growth (no equity share)

Advice to Senior ManagementCareful with some of those clients ;-)

Front-End Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsTalented people in just about every discipline. Very open and collaborative environment. People take pride in what they do and it really shows in the work that is produced. Company process is unmatched, they do projects right. Great benefits and perks: summer Friday's, office parties once a week, company outings. Beautiful office space and in a prime location. Just an overall great place to work. The people and the culture at this company made coming to work each day a real joy.

ConsRetainer clients can make work dull.

Advice to Senior ManagementStricter enforcement of employee reviews every 6 months.

Use It To Your Advantage

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Very relaxed, casual, and fun environment
    - Happy hour every Thurs or Fri (depending on time of year)
    - Smart people
    - Week between Christmas and New Year's off

Cons- Raises and bonuses are not standardized

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better clients/work/projects back on the roster and all else will follow.

Inspired and inspiring -- A place to do great work with great people

Tech (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI learned an enormous amount during my time at Ai, and the education came from all directions: a talented senior management bent on improving process and bringing in great projects; a team that improved on my ideas and gave me many more in return; and projects that in their variety and clients pushed me and the rest of the team forward into new and rewarding challenges. Their projects win awards because they deserve it: Ai focuses on craft, regardless of your practice area, and the final products reflect this in their polish, usability, and performance. The workplace is open and fun. It is a memorable pleasure to walk through the office doors and look forward to another day with this team.

ConsYou have to love small agency life, and you have to be able and willing to move quickly among a number of projects. You will not be happy if your reaction to new situations is, "That's not in my job description."

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep taking advantage of the fact that you're a small company. Transparency at every turn gives confidence and critical business context to the teams.

Career advancing

QA Lead (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLots of support for new hires
    new technology training
    great peeps
    awesome work life/office
    Work hard play hard mentality
    on the bleeding edge of technology
    great designers

Consnine am to six pm work day
    lower end of payscale
    office temp can be something to desired sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the rewards of a job well done

Most Talented Co-Workers Around.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCo-workers make this place what it is- so smart and care about their work.
    Owners are invested in their employees and the culture of the place.
    Ability to be entrepreneurial is greater here than at any place I've been previously.

ConsAt times the workload can be demanding and expectations are high.
    While most people like the office dog, I find him getting more ornery with age.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on staff development; we already have access to great projects, and great co-workers, so an additional emphasis on more formal staff training and development would just add to that.

Everyone seemed to dislike the projects they were working on

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe social culture of the company is excellent. Super friendly atmosphere. Laid back management. Drinks on Fridays.

Many talented people to learn from.

ConsClients are not handled well at executive level. Expectations are not managed. Unreasonable promises made, and the staff bears the burden. And then no bonuses are given.

Every promotion I noticed was given to those who put in 3+ years. Discouraging to those seeking advancement in their careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive bonuses and promotions to those that merit it. Don't let clients push you around. Mitigate expectations.

Worked for Alexander Interactive? Contribute to the Community!