Alexander Mann Solutions

Add Review

Alexander Mann Solutions Reviews

Updated June 11, 2015
21 reviews filtered by
  • Bracknell, England (UK)
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Alexander Mann Solutions Founder & CEO Rosaleen Blair
Rosaleen Blair

Pros
  • There is good work life balance and if you do a good job you are recognised for it (in 11 reviews)

• Global client base that continues to grow and stay retained for many years (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for work/life balance and there are no perks for employees (in 5 reviews)

• The company is driven by a cabal of senior management who are unable to consider issues that don't impact them directly (in 6 reviews)

Great place to work

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having been with the company for coming up 4 years I can comment that AMS delivers Great culture and values in its treatment of employees , Inspiring leadership from CEO and management. Opportunity for career development

Cons

If you are not used to fast paced recruitment, high volume may not be for you however rewards and recognition if you work hard are worthwhile

Advice to Management

Continue to inspire

Lots of opportunity to develop in a business that grows year on year

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bracknell, England (UK)

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

First and foremost, the people. I meet people every week that I learn from and who enjoy working in an environment that encourages learning. Working with such a broad population with different skill sets gives you the opportunity to develop yourself. I also really like the opportunity you have to move onto new client acounts / projects

Cons

As the company has got bigger, it's not always easy for new people to navigate themselves around plus it can be very fast paced at times

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on new starters and remember what it was like when you first joined. They need to be nurtured into the company a bit better. Lets try and make new people feel like part of the furniture quicker

3 years with AMS

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time

Pros

You are in control of your own career path and full supported by the management team

Cons

Fast paced busy environment- work load can be heavy at times.

Dissapointing

Former Employee - Resource Specialist in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Resource Specialist in Bracknell, England (UK)

I worked at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They work with well known blue chip organisations.
    Excellent benefits package
    Excellent work life balance

Cons

There is little reward for hard work and success in the service center in Bracknell. I did not find it an inspiring place to work. It felt like I was back at School at times and I was not treated like an adult. Most of the managers should not be managers or should be given a significant amount of training before starting the positions. It is too SLA driven and there is more interest in reporting and filling out spreadsheets than building a relationship with the client and finding the best candidate. The relationship with the suppliers or agencys does not seem to be that good either.

The Bracknell office is over crowded and I would recommend a move to larger premises. The Bracknell office is not well managed and needs to have a more grown up approach to it and some respect shown to the employees. They also need to have a database or CRM, not a different system depending on the client. It was very frustrating when trying to source/recruit a role and I was astonished that the company does not have a central database for candidates like in an agency environment. I agree with some earlier comments about "bums on seats" approach.

Jun 24, 2015Head of GCSC

Many thanks for your feedback. As the recently appointed Head of Centre in Bracknell I have set up a number of projects led by team members themselves that focus on wellbeing, development, technology ... More

Wouldn't treat my worst enemy the way they treat their staff...

Former Employee - Recruiter in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Bracknell, England (UK)

I worked at Alexander Mann Solutions

Pros

Good amount of Annual Leave on offer, 26 days standard plus public holidays and the chance to buy or sell for extra.
    Nice offices, well maintained
    Benefits are good, including healthcare, dental, pension, death in service etc
    An inspiring CEO
    Great training courses

Cons

Terrible management and total a master slave culture. No payrises, no bonus ever paid and yet they expect you to work harder and harder each year without any reward, except the favorites (who aren't the best performers but the best conformers).
    Most of the middle and senior management team have no people skills and are intolerant to staff that don't see and think exactly the way they do. Complete face fit culture and if your face doesn't fit staff will be managed out VERY obviously.

Very bullying management style, playground name calling, managers who have discussion about who they like and don't in the kitchen or on cigarette breaks rather than in meeting rooms.

For a company with a fantastic female CEO and advocate for working mothers, pregnant women and returning to work mothers are treated hideously with very little flexibility offered.

Unfair annual review process, no focus on the individual. Grading system, but not based on your actual performance or work contributed, its based on their like or dislike of you.

Staff retention is atrocious and it's all down to management most of the time and the bullying culture. Am aware of 36 people from this office who have resigned in the last 6 - 9 months.

Advice to Management

Perhaps the company should actually conduct exit interviews to get the true views of the staff as they are leaving and get their reasons why?

HR should be confidential, you should be able to talk to them about an issue and not witness them go straight to the manager in front of you and watch them talk about what you've just discussed.

Bracknell needs a complete review of their managers, from the top down. COO and CEO are clueless to the morale in that office.

Mar 30, 2015Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the detail you shared and very keen to hear more so we can improve, as you clearly did not have a good experience. Would you be willing to talk about this further? Please contact me at ... More

Talk the talk at interview but certainly do not walk the walk

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Bracknell, England (UK)

I worked at Alexander Mann Solutions

Pros

There are some very talented people working within the Bracknell centre but treated like dirt and overworked. Really do not have anything good to say.

Cons

Poor management, Senior management team have no idea what is going on at mid management level, only able to progress if you are one of the favorites, So called senior managers covering up for each other, treated like a child in school, Senior management speak to people in such a derogatory manner. One rule for one and not for others. I could go on and on but think the scene is set.

Advice to Management

The senior management team (CEO, COO) really need to speak with the team that do the work, the mid management level is a joke and they seriously would struggle to manage a team in any other business. Really shoddy management skills. Reward the people that actually do the work not the people that the managers like!!

Mar 12, 2015Global Head of Talent Acquisition

I appreciate the honesty and naturally disappointed to hear your comments. I am keen to understand more so we can improve. If you are willing to discuss further, please get in touch at ... More

8. An inspiring and rewarding organisation, wish i had joined AMS a long time ago!

Current Contractor - Recruitment Business Partner in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Recruitment Business Partner in Bracknell, England (UK)

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked within recruitment for over 13 years and I have never worked for such a professional organisation as AMS. The culture here is high performing and they strive to be the best at what they do, but they manage to do this, whilst looking after their employees. They are supportive and proactively support employees to develop their careers.

Cons

The environment is extremely fast paced and demanding and due to it being innovative, it is ever changing and you have to be happy to move with it.

9. Fantastic client base, impressive growth - but probably fits some people better than others

Current Employee - Lead Sourcing Specialist in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Sourcing Specialist in Bracknell, England (UK)

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're a recruiter who has previously worked in an agency environment, I do think you'll find the company culture really refreshing. Compared to previous agency recruitment jobs I've had, the pressure at AMS is much less intense and there's so much more of a focus on ensuring that the sourcing centre is a fun and vibrant place to work (you don't get death stared when you leave on time and there's no pressure to work extra hours!)

I also think the holiday allowance is pretty generous; I get 26 days a year, in my previous roles I only got 20. Having that extra time can make so much difference. I'd say the benefits you can opt in for are pretty good as well, particularly healthcare and pension.

The other thing I really like about AMS is that they are committed to doing an ongoing review of you, in the sense of setting you objectives to better yourself and further your career. It just makes things really transparent in terms of how pay rises and promotions are worked out; it's done on merit and achievement and not on how well you get on with your manager. There's also quite an open culture in terms of people being able to move around internally; you aren't seen as a "traitor" if you choose to move on elsewhere in the organisation.

The client base is pretty impressive; the one thing that attracted me to RPO in the first place was being able to work with big brands, so it's been a great change from working in a small agency with small clients.

Cons

I think it's an ideal working environment if you're sick of agency work/culture and you're looking for a role where the pressure is less intense.

However, I don't think it's an ideal fit if you're incredibly ambitious and you want to go places very quickly; whilst it doesn't have the same pressure as agency, it doesn't have the same remuneration or fast career progression. If you're considering a move to RPO but you don't want to give up those two things it probably isn't for you.

I'd also point out that RPO is a lot more "structured" than agency; there are a lot more processes and procedures to follow. This isn't a criticism, but if you're the sort of person who hates the idea of having to deal with that it's almost certainly not for you.

Advice to Management

Keep going as you are; I have a lot of faith in Rosaleen (the CEO for those who don't know).

Professional, Progressive and Supportive

Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Bracknell, England (UK)

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 4 years and have gradually progressed through the ranks. Having joined from an agency I was pleasantly surprised at the total change in culture, no more micro managment and KPI for KPI's sake or fear of the glares you'd get for leaving on time. the business gets the balance of support whilst giving a large amount of responsibility right and gives real freedom to get closer to clients and manage your own career in a way I have not seen in any agency or any other company I have worked for. my experience is that a good job is rewarded well and that the approach by management is one of fairness and meritocracy.

I should add that whilst the business is driven commercially, the culture is not one of putting commercial gain over client satisfaction and, since joining the business I genuinely feel AMS offer a partnership solution to some of the best companies in the UK and globally

Having seen some of the comments on here I can only assume these have been written out of bitterness as my experience of 4 years with AMS does not echo some of the descriptions on here. Perhaps those who are dissatisfied with their experience may need to consider looking internally as to why it didn't work out for them as I believe that, if you work hard AMS is one of the best places to forge a career with.

The clients you can be exposed to and the freedom you are given to operate within this environment I feel is unrivalled amongst any of the competition to AMS, either in terms of client exposure, commercial awareness or stakeholder management.

I can honestly say in my 4 years with the company I have never thought of leaving as I have never had reason to, the opportunities to progress, move internally into different teams or get involved in any projects that are of interest are unlike any company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Like every big company, some of the processes can seem clunky and unneccessarliy bureaucratic on occasion however these are usually due to the level of risk the company is exposed to and the compliance offering we deliver to our clients.

the size of the company can also cause different divisions to be slightly protracted although again, like most companies, this is more a case of finding out for yourself and making your career work for you. rather than expecting promotion or opportunites to land in your lap.

11. AMS Bracknell - would definitely recommend!!!!

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked in CWS in Bracknell for over 3 years and in that time I have witnessed a huge amount of change and I have to say it is all very positive! I have read a number of the negative comments posted about Bracknell over the last year and I must admit that I find them untrue and extremely unfair! I would not usually write on a site like this but I think that there needs to be a fair review from someone that has progressed here! AMS offer huge amounts of opportunity to ALL staff who want to progress and this is something that is made very clear from the start. As with all companies, those who put themselves forward, work hard and have the RIGHT ATTITUDE are offered progression and opportunity. This is something that I have experienced first hand and have seen across CWS. The management community positively encourage it and want people to progress and be fulfilled in their roles. The client base is varied, giving you so much exposure, with the ability to move internally if you want.

The atmosphere within CWS Bracknell is absolutely buzzing the majority of the time, with a positive, and refreshingly, enthusiastic team. Onsite teams that have visited me have often commented on the buzz that Bracknell has! The results that CWS churn out month after month are a reflection of this and I would question anyone who did not think this was the case.

There is a lot of work that has gone in to getting the teams working cohesively over the last few years and this is really apparent across the centre. From my experience I have always felt supported and if there has ever been any issues I feel that my questions have been answered and issues resolved quickly and processes changed to help the recruiters and managers do their jobs effectively. I have always thought that my managers here are strong role models, who behave in a way that they expect the teams too, with a positive and 'can do' mentality.

I have recommended several people to work here and will continue to do so! I hope that people do not take much notice of the negative comments posted, in my experience those people who have such opinions have not helped themselves and tend to have very little self awareness (and tend to be motivated by bitterness rather than balance).

Cons

Struggling to find negatives but the only thing that I would say is that historically communication across the whole of the centre has not been as great as it could have been but this has improved massively over the last year. As mentioned, it is really clear that a lot of work has gone into bringing CWS and RPO together and this is really showing now.

RSS Feed </> Embed