Alexander Mann Solutions

Updated February 24, 2015
3.1

Alexander Mann Solutions Founder & CEO Rosaleen Blair
Rosaleen Blair

Pros
  • There is good work life balance and if you do a good job you are recognised for it (in 11 reviews)

• Global client base that continues to grow and stay retained for many years (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for work/life balance and there are no perks for employees (in 5 reviews)

• Some of the senior management is weak and flaky to say the least (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting, entrepreneurial environment with loads of opportunity for focused go-getters.

Current Employee - Head of Client Services in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Head of Client Services in New York, NY

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hard work, but highly rewarding. The core values are displayed by the leaders of this organization in an open, honest, tangible way. Outcome based environment- bloom where you are planted and the opportunities are endless.

Cons

Fast paced and sometimes a little too focused on making the customer happy which can burden the team at times.

Ensure we are sharing internally as much as we share externally about growth and our vision. Rosaleen could be more visible.

Great, collaborative environment!

Current Employee - Principal Resource Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Resource Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment where teamwork is not only promoted but practiced. Great corporate culture and work life balance.

Cons

High req volumes that can be difficult to manage at times. A ton of reporting which can be very time consuming.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Quickly growing and evolving company. The sky is the limit at AMS. They also offer the ability to work remotely.

Cons

With the quick ever changing and growing environment comes growing pains. However, we work through them as a team and always drive solutions to our Clients

I love the idea of growing your employees internally. Keep up the great work.

WORSE company EVER for people managers and gap between self-promotion and delivery as a company.

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learn how to NOT to manage people: curb discussion, browbeat, blame everyone else. Learn to stonewall a client.

Cons

Cost of benefits is high for the coverage. Client relationship manager arbitrarily reduced bonuses promised in order to look better to mgmt.

Understand what the client needs and don't sell what you don't have ability to deliver. Don't force your low-end, high volume RPO model where it's recipe for failure. Don't force onsite teams to lie to clients to cover up lack of capacity and low-capabilities. Allocate enough and right resources to a client vs. protecting thin margins because you mis-estimated cost to deliver client solution. Monitor/audit misuse of performance management by managers covering up their own performance. Don't believe your own aggressive self-promotion/marketing: you'll get the account but not the renewal.

Alexander Mann Solutions Response

Feb 18, 2015Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Appreciate your honesty and naturally concerned to hear some of the comments above. I would very much like to discuss further with you if you would be comfortable sharing in more detail. If you would ... More

Worst working experience I've had.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

SOME of the members of my team were competent, good people.

Cons

I worked on-site at a client in NC. The client itself was a nightmare to deal with but these comments are only about AMS.
    We had no on-site management for my team until the last few weeks I was there. Incompetence of other team members was completely ignored because of their seniority and despite the fact that there were a litany of officially logged complaints against certain individuals who never saw disciplinary action. And if a member of the business decides to abuse you...don't expect anyone from AMS's management to go to bat for you. The only advice you will get is to bend over and take it with a smile on your face. I should have guessed at this from the beginning from the obvious revolving door aspect. Within a month of my start date, 3 people on the team had left.
    The corporate HR department in AMS is a complete joke. Submitting a request ticket to them typically saw at least one week turn-around time, if there was even a response at all. It took me two months to receive my insurance cards due to HR providing an incorrect address to the insurance company which, to this day I have no idea how they even got. I ended up having to fix the problem with the insurance company directly. No apology or admission of culpability from AMS HR. Just a chipper email from some derpy little moron thanking me for contacting them about my issue and asking me to do so again if I have any further problems....as if.
    In the end I can only blame myself for taking a job I knew I didn't really want. AMS's business model is to provide outsourced recruiting to companies that are too lazy and/or stingy to hire their own recruiters. Don't be fooled by the "on-site" aspect of the job. AMS is just another agency and unless you are that type of recruiter, you will not grow or thrive there.

Your company's inherent flaws will not be solved by treating the people on the ground like replaceable parts in a machine. The sooner you realize you need to treat them like people the better for you.

Worldly experience offered

Current Employee - Support Administrator in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Support Administrator in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I very much enjoy the experience to work with our offices throughout the world. AMS has locations in Bracknell, England; Belfast, Ireland; Manila, Philippines; Krakow, Poland; and here in the US in Cleveland. It gives the opportunity to learn about different culture and different ways of doing business.

The benefits offered are very good as well - vacation is generous, as well as sick time. There are several training opportunities available on various areas of the recruiting business, from working in Microsoft Excel to dealing with customer service to personality styles, etc.

Visits are paid to the office often from senior leadership and opportunities are given for employees to discuss any concerns they may have regarding the company.

The location is outside the center of downtown Cleveland, which helps stay clear of the traffic mess that may be encountered in other locations such as Public Square or Playhouse Square.

Cons

Several moves have been made as the office continues to grow and more space is needed. Promotions are more easily available for some areas rather than others due to more opportunites and business.

Not the best of employers

Former Contractor - Sourcer in Cary, NC
    Former Contractor - Sourcer in Cary, NC

I worked at Alexander Mann Solutions as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Can Work virtual; cordial co-workers;

Cons

No training; low pay; no benefits to purchase for contract employees

Put together a structured orientation program

Growing company with good potential!

Former Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time

Pros

Get in on the ground level with this RPO company. Great teamwork and everyone seems to enjoy working there for the most part.

Cons

As a newer company and only two years old in Ohio, they seem to have difficulty keeping up with the growth. I felt I had the knowledge and experience to be brought in at a higher level position with better compensation. Salary grades should be looked at. One recruiter in Canada was working on positions in Cleveland. I applaud them for adding additional resources recently to help eleviate this issue.

Keep adding staff in HR and management and you will continue to grow. Good experience overall!

Amazing Culture, Able to be Creative & Think Outside the Box!

Current Employee - Resource Specialist (Recruiter) in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Resource Specialist (Recruiter) in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was drawn to AMS because of it's culture, it is a place where you can be innovative in your thinking when it comes to recruiting. Being surrounded by other sourcers and recruiters who are passionate about this industry has really pushed me to the next level in my career. Our new space in the Erieview Tower building is absolutely bright and beautiful with an open layout that allows me to collaborate with my team. We even have a game room with a popcorn machine, ping pong table and air hockey. I'm excited to grow my career here at AMS!

Cons

It can sometimes be tricky to navigate our matrix organization vs a traditional hierarchy. Many approvals are needed to accomplish something, and it can take quite some time to get items approved. However, this also gives you access and visibility to many people within the organization, I do appreciate how it is a flat organization where you can approach anyone at any level and ask a question. I hope over time, we can enhance some of our processes to expedite work that needs to be completed.

Please continue to keep the employees as a main focus as the organization grows within the Americas.

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (over 2 years)

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've seen substantial growth, a more defined structure, and lots of opportunity as we continue to grow our business with young entrepreneurs that are driven and motivated to be successful in a culture that is not only professional and productive, but absolutely fun to be a part of! This includes pot lucks, dress down days, and a game room!

Cons

Since we are an RPO and not full cycle, our structure from an outside perspective seems like it would limit someone to certain areas (admin, sourcing, recruiting, etc.) within their development and career. However, with many different clients and continued growth, most AMS employees have a varied journey filled with internal movement and have gained experience in multiple areas.

Due to our growth, we have been asked to physically move a lot, on separate floors at one point, which has been inconvenient at times.