Alexander Street Press

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.1

Stephen Rhind-Tutt

Fast paced environment with plenty of opportunity for growth

I have been working at Alexander Street Press

Pros

flat structure - you can promote an idea or address a concern to someone who can get an answer without waiting to escalate the issue through 10 layers of management.
    unique values - few companies list humility as a value, but the Press stands behind the idea that it is better to ask for help and seek advice.
    innovation - the Press seeks out new content and solutions, we're currently working on a new offering that is exciting and groundbreaking.
    employee growth - several employees have started in an entry level role in one area and moved to another as the company has grown.

Cons

fast growth over the years has meant some of the company's processes are not yet stable or simplified.
    some of the experiments of the past need some investment to support current customers.

invest in people
    continue to seek out new markets and content sets
    continue to invest in the infrastructure

Toxic management yet dedicated workers

Former Employee - Anonymous in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Alexander Street Press full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great people work there yet none of them are in management. Wear whatever you want. No offices.

Cons

Lots of upper management for such a small company. 4 VPs in a department of 10 people. All were ineptly managing in a bullying fashion. Terrible communication yet they spend endless hours talking about how they value it.

Have less of it. Too many layers. Makes no sense.

Growing company with great people

Former Employee - Marketing in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Alexander Street Press full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smartest group of colleagues i have ever worked with. Creative, innovative, team-oriented, and creates quality products.

Cons

Lacks clarity in road to career advancement; lots of flip-flopping and indecisiveness from upper management; somewhat cheap.

Make a decision and stick with it, spend more to retain current employees and create a professional environment.

An exciting environment to work in

I have been working at Alexander Street Press full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working at ASP because it's a breath of fresh air from the large corporates my friends work at. Instead of spending time navigating internal politics, I spend time helping to make decisions. If something doesn't make sense, I'm encouraged to ask and people would far rather get questions out than push them off. There's a lot of ownership in roles here too - I don't have lots of layers above me to get sign off about things, and once a decision has been made I can push ahead with it. As a result, I feel I'm learning a lot more and can walk away with some really great achievements to my name. There are also lots of smart people here to work with and I'd much rather be surrounded by a peer group that stimulate me. At the end of the day, we're growing successfully and winning awards (we got into the econtent's top 100 digital tech companies for the second time in a row last year) - which is great for my resume.

Cons

You won't like it here if you're not comfortable with open communication - there are no private offices and it's all open plan. And the office isn't upscale if that's important to you.

Keep hiring great people

Innovative organisation welcoming engaged participation at all levels

I have been working at Alexander Street Press full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flat hierarchy, with open communication at all levels
    goal and objective driven, nimble, management not afraid of change
    customer centric, considers all stakeholders in decision making
    rewards those who speak up and push back with justification, decision makers, and people who solve problems rather than share them

Cons

can get caught up in the planning process
    has struggled with accountability at all levels, but is in process of implementing a people-strategy that is helping
    sometimes needs to be reminded of the non-U.S. scope of the business

Providing a voice to all staff is important, so you need to ensure managers are not only trained to listen and empowered to act on ideas of their teams, and they do so.

Cliquish group run by an egotist

I have been working at Alexander Street Press

Pros

Great content
    Reputation for innovation
    Dedicated workers at the lower level
    Fantastic development team.

Cons

All the "leadership" team have personally been selected by the president of the company and would not dream of counteracting him. They are "yes men" in the fullest sense of the word. High turnover due to low morale and frustration. Power is held in the hands of a very few and they are terrified of contradicting the president. Reputation in the industry as being eccentric. Growing lack of credibility in the marketplace from customers.

Many people who should not be managers in any sense of the word.

No real standards; subjective hiring, measurement of performance, and firing. Most longterm employees have since fled the roost.

Implement a real performance management system. Publish company objectives and standards both company wide and for individual performers. At least try to maintain the appearance of objectivity.