Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children

3.5
CEO

1. GreAt place to work

I have been working at Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children full-time

Pros

People really care about the kids.
    Benefits are good.

Cons

Upper management makes decisions that effect the delivery of care.

2. Overworked Employees Mismanaged

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children

Pros

Working to support child healthcare

Cons

poor internal promotion, little in the way of annual performance raises and recognition

3. Nemours Children's Hospital in Orlando

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children full-time

Pros

Get to help children in need. Many of the medical staff and clinicians are very professionals and truly care for the well care of their patients.

Cons

Administration does not follow the organization's own policies. Leadership is based on friendship and not on talent and experience. Many of the managers and directors obtained their positions without any previous administrative experience and are making many mistake within their departments. The culture and values that the administration mentions during the new employee orientation is not reinforced and there are not consequences for not following rules. Staff in some departments are incompetent on their fields resulting on many patients stopping their care at the hospital and going to other local hospitals. Senior management is untrustworthy.

Advice to Management

To administration, follow your own rules and policies and reinforce them. Hire competent managers and directors so they can truly help develop a good organization. The hospital is quickly gaining a bad reputation in the Central Florida area.

5. Need a clue.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children full-time

Pros

The patients and their families.

Cons

Like everyone else, management. They bring managers in that have no clue about the specialty they are working in. People who would never put on a pair of scrubs or even care about the employees under them. Unless you are one of the chosen few (which are the only ones writing good reviews) you are bullied by management and never heard by them. You stay stagnant until they find a robot to replace you. Management preaches the ten commandments that they never follow. Your performance evaluation is a joke, it's not about you at all its about the unit and hospital which you have no control over. No one cares about the employees, concerning behaviors from a children's hospital.

Advice to Management

I would make a list but they wouldn't listen anyway.

Not a good work environment, anymore.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

60 hrs is considered full time. Benefits for full time employees with children have ok benefits for their children (used to be better)
    New building has einstein bagels 24\7 which is a big improvement for night shift workers

Cons

Managment doesn't apply policies consistently and often show favoritism which creates an unpleasant working morale.
    Unprofessional managment hired without BSN and some with very little experience in specialty area. Rude and unhelpful.
    Lots of changes and transitions with the expansion and move into the new building. Heavy patient assignments and short staff. Lots of things need to be addressed and smoothed out. Hospital is designed for patients and families without consideration to nursing/pharmacy logistics. It got to the point several times that working conditions were unsafe. Glad I don't work there anymore

Advice to Management

Train and precept the preceptors so staff processes are standard. Apply policies fairly without discrimination/favoritism. Improve processes related to safe medication administration.
    Spend more time praising and recognizing all the EXTRA hard work and time away from family that staff sacrifice. When you make promises - keep them. As noted in another review. Staff was beefed up prior to receiving magnet status and then went back to being understaffed with high acuity patients. Admissions and bed coordination needs to be standardized. We would have many inappropriate admissions come up through the night that were then discharged first thing in the morning or transferred to the appropriate unit.

7. Nice people - couldn't care less about research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone I came in contact here was very nice on a personal level. There was a lot of camaraderie. Children's health insurance was awesome... free coverage (at 100%, I think) for as long as you work there)

Cons

The 'big wigs' and the administrators didn't really care about research and it showed int he salary.

8. It is a wonderful place to work. Very caring atmosphere.

Current Employee - Medical Coding in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Coding in Orlando, FL

Pros

The caring atmosphere and love of Children is wonderful there. Love it. I can't say enough about Nemour's.

Cons

I travel quite a bit to get to work and back and would like to to work from home and this was offered but later postponed for some and not for others. So my hopes for remote coding working have become unsure. I would rather stay with Nemours but will see what happens.

Too Many Managers

I worked at Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Taking care of children and their families everyday. Environment that is wonderful for children and the employees embrace making it as comfortable and magical as they can for the children. All the staff workers go above and beyond FOR THE KIDS.

Cons

Upper Management is a dictatorship. They want no questions asked about anything "instituted" by upper management. When you go with concerns or ideas my manager has said: "I have heard your concerns and they have been noted." That is all the feedback I received. They want staff to "drink the koolaid." Raises are based on a "performance management tool" that has perimeters that you have no control over, for the most part. I would be surprised if they get "magnet status" again because as soon as they achieved Magnet, everything for nursing that was instituted to get magnet was taken away. Pretty sure they will start bring things back once they need to get re-certified for magnet. They are understaffed, nursing managers come down hard on nursing staff and nurses and care staff and very stressed and feel they are walking on egg shells. There is nothing positive said about staff just talking about the 'screw ups." They want robots that are just going to come to work and do what they tell them and not question anything. Management will just change staffs schedules to suit their needs and not appreciate work life balance, I have seen staff look at their schedule and have to scramble to find childcare and care for an older parent. Some staff have found out they had to work Christmas day two days before Christmas. Basically they treat staff like trash. It's actually very sad. I had to part ways.

Advice to Management

You need to understand how your front line staff feels. You need to understand the impact of what you are "implementing."

10. Nemours is a special place to work

I have been working at Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children

Pros

Pay, education, benefits, training, atmosphere

Cons

Night shift, selection of cafeteria food at night, parking garage is far away

Advice to Management

New color scheme for uniforms

Dilbertian atmosphere..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not a bad location in north Delaware... one of the easiest commutes you'll find anywhere.. it's great working towards solutions to help children

Cons

where to begin... management is rife with 9 to 5 (with most disappearing at 4:30 or earlier) paycheck collectors... who talk a good talk, but only real drive seems to be maintaining the status quo and keeping their job as simple and carefree as possible... meanwhile, the general staff is typically overloaded and understaffed and expected to go above and beyond... when staff leave or transfer out, that persons assignments are more typically just dumped on one of their coworkers, rather then hire to fill the vacancy... meanwhile, management seems to constantly be promoting and adding "assistants" to their ranks that do more to bottleneck functionality then add efficiency..

Advice to Management

best advice for management is to clean house, from the top down... but with everyone watching out for each other that's a pipe dream... provide incentives and work to create desire to do a better job, instead of simply telling us "it's a great place to work"... management puts more effort into silly ineffectual gimmicks, (for example "Performance Management" software), that do more to make them feel like they are doing something, then actually raising moral and accountability...