Alice & Olivia

Intern at alice + olivia

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Alice & Olivia

Pros

Worked on a great team that gave me real responsibility and were really supportive and helpful. Taught me a lot about the industry.

Cons

Intern project wasn't very structured
    Unpaid

Maybe find more ways to introduce interns to other departments and other opportunities throughout the company

Great company to work with

I have been working at Alice & Olivia

Pros

Great company, strong designs and innovative

Cons

small team so a lot of work is spread amongst few people

expand the team

Not an enjoyable company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Alice & Olivia

Pros

Developing personal growth within the fashion industry.

Cons

This company is incredibly disorganized, and they seem to focus solely on how much money they can rake in. They do not appreciate their employees and they make it very difficult to be excited to work there. The pay is also horrible.

Your employees are the root of success, if they aren't happy how do you suppose they gain excitement to sell your product - care for your employees more.

Good

Former Intern - Production Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Production Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Alice & Olivia as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

If they see you're a hard worker they'll notice you and you'll gain more respect, because in general they act cocky with all interns. It was a good learning experience. Very organized environment.

Cons

Having a good learning experience there is on you. Sometimes they'll have you sitting there without a task, you have to go around to different departments and offer to assist otherwise you'll get bored. They don't really care if you learn or not, that is up to you. They have you there in case they need you to run errands or do very simple work they don't feel like doing.

Take advantage of the interns abilities, sometimes we know more than you think we do. We are capable of doing more than just errands or making copies.

Not a company you want to work for your entire lfie

Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Alice & Olivia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Clothing allowance
    -5 summer Fridays
    -15 vacation days/sick days
    -lots of great people you want to hang out
    -the showroom is amazing
    -the views are great
    -beautiful clothes

Cons

-low pay-which they try to compensate by paying you overtime. The overtime is HALF of your hourly pay. NOT WORTH IT
    -no direction for employees-
    -did I mention the low pay?
    -only take care of senior managers and above. Every assistant/Junior person works hard to make all the 30 markets a year
    -no praise ever given
    -there are favorites and if you are not one of them then you will not make it
    - do not take a job here unless you plan on leaving later. You will no grow. If you are offered another job somewhere. TAKE IT.

Stop favoring people who look like they work hard when all they do is gossip all day long and then have late hours. There has to be something wrong if people are working 1 am every night when its not even busy season. Also, compensate your employees normally. It is embarrassing the amount they pay.

Great place to learn about the fashion industry and build up your resume.

I worked at Alice & Olivia

Pros

There's a lot of work to be done day-to-day. You can learn skills that you won't learn at school depending on the department you are working for. I had the opportunity to work alongside a great mentor who took the time to teach me and explain what and why she was having me complete tasks. I learned Excel, met with international clients, learned about sales domestic/internationally. Daily stipend for food/hr lunch.

Cons

Try working for a department that is going to teach you every-day work skills you can use later on. Some interns did errands that taught nothing - organizing a sample closet isn't a productive learning experience. Doing coffee runs either.

Don't say you can work every day of the week if you don't know what the experience is going to be like at first. If you like it that much, maybe you can offer to come in more days later on - they won't oppose.

Essential experience if you're working under the right department/person. Try taking those positives and incorporate them in all the other areas that are slacking.

Good learning experience

Former Intern - Technical Design Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Technical Design Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Alice & Olivia as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about the company, about its product and how everyone works in order to achieve their goals.

Cons

The only thing I would improve would be the amount of hours that we work.

Good learning experience

Former Intern - PR Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - PR Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Alice & Olivia as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Got to work with an amazing PR team, help with the fashion week presentation, and learn a lot. My advice to current and future interns is work hard, show up on time, and don't be afraid to stay late. They love that and you'll be rewarded for it in more responsibility and excellent letters of recommendation

Cons

It's unpaid, you're their personal messenger service in all weather conditions, no room to grow, and the president and CEO are standoffish

Pay your interns!! Especially if they're running around the city dropping off/picking up samples

Great summer internship

Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Alice & Olivia part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Was able to learn a lot about the PR department, but also the company as a whole. Enjoyed the hands on experience- interns aren't just fetching coffee! A+O is a fun place to work, you're surrounded by a lot of cool, interesting people. The intern group project was a great experience as well. The interns, paired in groups, were asked to design an event for the company.. Really gave us the opportunity to take what we've learned, collaborate, and put it into action.

Cons

Sometimes too many interns in certain departments.

Interns would benefit from being able to attend more meetings, simply to shadow, and would gain a better understanding of what is going on in their departments.

I worked at Alice & Olivia

Pros

the clothes are great, thats about it.

Cons

you only get promoted if you are a suck up