Alief ISD

Be The First To
Add Photos

I love my job!

Teacher, Elementary School (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI came to teach in Alief ISD from a district where constant testing was the norm. Our students were over worked and exhausted. Teaching was a bore for me and was not fun at all for my students. In Alief, however, the focus is on the students. The administration in this school district strive to educate children and teach skills with real world application. We so not simply teach children how to take a test. In Alief we are student-centered. Everything we do, we do for our students.

ConsBehavior management needs to be firm and structured for our group of kiddos.

Advice to Senior ManagementE-Colors is a fantastic way for everyone (students, teachers, admin) to understand one another and to efficiently communicate and work together. All schools should begin an E-Colors program within their school communities.

It depends on the campus

Teacher (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsProfessional growth. There are nice families and children.

ConsMy campus is a mess. No professionalism, no ethics, the decision-making process is not consistent. It seems like administrator do not have management skills nor people skills. There is so much inconsistency and not all staff is treated equally. It could be much better. High teacher turn over. It is a "my way or the highway" type of management. No matter how much experience and education one has, if one cannot teach using some kind of maps that they use for EVERYTHING then you are not a good teacher.

Advice to Senior ManagementMonitor your administrators, if good teachers leave or get burned out because of poor leadership then improvement will be hard to reach.

Very demanding, but they provide extensive staff development.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey are one of the highest paying school districts.

ConsThe expectations are very high, so be prepared to put in the hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe work environment needs to be more positive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best students and teachers

Teacher (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe students are very nice students and there are great parents. Teachers are very enthusiastic, they work really hard to comply with the very demanding tasks that this district gives to teachers. The best salaries in Houston. The best professional development, this district invests a lot in having highly qualified teachers and gives them a lot of educational opportunities every year, grants, scholarships, pos graduate programs, etc.

ConsAdministration, every campus is different from each other, there is no consistency among campuses. One principal can be the nicest principal ever and in another campus the principal can be very arrogant and intolerant. In my case, our principal is hard to work with at times. For several years, after the school year ends, a big percentage of the staff leaves. Why? do the Math. Sometimes I feel like there is too much waste of paper, too much paperwork, I mean we are in 2013 and technology allows us to get rid of filling out forms with our hands. That means that teachers fill out a lot of forms with their hands, I respect that but I don't agree with it. Paper could be saved, time too, and teachers could focus more on instructional time than on admin time. And finally, just as any other school district, the focus on test scores.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to teachers and monitor your administrators.

Good place to work but ...

Elementary Bilingual Teacher (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsStaff and colleagues are very supportive and professional. The vast majority seem to truly work hard and care about the students. Salary (by teacher standards) is good. The training provided for the employees is very exhaustive and focused to the benefit of the education provided to the students

ConsThe job experience from campus to campus could be totally different. As with everywhere in Texas, there is a major emphasis on test scores and students are...students. I can perceive an increasingly adopting a "blame the teacher" mindset.
    Although employee insurance is quite affordable, insurance for family or spouse is exceptionally high.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchool principals truly set the entire work culture of each campus. Each principal should be more closely monitored/evaluated.

Holub Middle School Extreme Hostile Work Environment

Educator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTruly great kids that are zoned to that campus.

ConsExtremely high teacher turn over rate each school year. For 2012-2013 school year a total 6 veteran teacher voluntarily terminated their own contract before the month of December, due to continuous unethical practices by administration and the hostile working environment they've created. Repeated violation education and labor laws. District ignored continuous written complaints.

Advice to Senior Managementcomplete removal of all administrator and Science specialist. Campus principal, assistant principal and science specialist must terminated from the district. Key reason to the repeated 3yr failure rate of the campus.

GREAT PEOPLE

Technology Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsPeople were great, great experience, Children were great as well

ConsNot to many cons, typical school

Educating Beyond Academics

Counselor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSome of the best reasons for working in Alief ISD are as follows:
    * diversity of students and staff throughout the district showing the opportunity for all people to succeed
    * size of district is not so overwhelming facilitating relationships both vertically and laterally among schools
    * students come first

ConsThe one thing that I think that can be improved upon is the transition of students from one campus to another within school district. There needs to be more of a universal way things are done between campuses. Although it is very important to maintain individuality between campuses in order to allow the effectiveness of administration to take place, there are several things that need to remain the same regardless of the campus that you attend in Alief.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing seen through the school day is very important in facilitating discipline. I would say to continue in trying to develop programs and relationships that prevent problems before they arise. And, for that matter, to advocate for more strict disciplinary action if things do get out of hand.

Worked for Alief ISD? Contribute to the Community!