Alief ISD Reviews

Updated October 3, 2014
3.5

HD Chambers
1 Rating

There are things that need to change, but our superintendent is really making positive things happen.

Current Employee - Family Liaison in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Family Liaison in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alief ISD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Family atmosphere
    Encourage personal and professional growth
    Everyone seems to have the same goal

Cons

Pay scale/ Spanish speaking becoming necessary
    Everyone has same goal, but are not always going in the same direction
    Work-life balance can become overwhelming

I have a master's degree, but in a para-professional position we make the same amount of money as someone with and without a high school diploma. Education is important! This is what we teach our children and our parents. You should show your employees, teachers, and families that this is true. Something very small can make a big difference in the way people look at education in general.

substitute at Alief ISD

Former Employee - Associate Teacher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Alief ISD part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to work

Cons

Some administrators frown on writing up students for discipline referrals. Don't get caught sitting down in the classroom or you may be written up and not be able to work at a particular school.

Typical School District

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alief ISD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is OK. They offer professional development opportunities throughout the year. They have lots of opportunities for students to be involved in several activities.

Cons

Some campuses are really bad. Avoid certain campuses. I work at an elementary campus and it is a challenge to work there, not because of students but because of the administration. The principal is very unrealistic about the expectations she has, she is not very professional in her communication with staff, her e-mails to staff members can be very unprofessional and sometimes include rude comments.Those comments sometimes do not even apply to all staff members. Teachers are asked to do several things at a time with very little time to focus on instruction, we have meetings almost everyday, with not time to be ready to start the day, and usually spending a lot of our own time in things that are very redundant and do not really improve instruction. A "blame the teacher" type of culture, although things can be different if you are friends with the ILT or the Administration, in which case, everything you do is great. If admin or ILT does not like you, in that case, no matter what you do it will always get a negative comment. There is a great focus on test scores but I guess that happens in other districts too. And finally, teachers are judged based on displays on the walls that focus mainly on using some type of graphic organizers that have become "the answer" to how students learn.

Monitor your administrators, especially in those campuses with low achievement. Low achievement is a consequence of poor leadership and abuse of power, that is what I think. This school district has a lot of potential but if teachers were allowed to teach and focus on instruction, instead of the thousand other tasks and paper work they have to keep up with, things would really change.

Grief in Alief as the ISD Associate (Substitute) TeachersWork for Free

Current Employee - Associate Teacher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alief ISD part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Alief ISD has a good pay scale for full time-contract and associate teachers.
    The District has many study programs and elective curriculum courses that students can use to gain skills and start their own businesses or acquire employment.

Cons

Alief ISD promotes a school and office culture, which is biased toward conformity. If applicants are highly qualified, yet they do not engage in social circles, bars, or email conversations about personal life, these applicants are not hired. If one was hired, the principals and assistant principals harass them or force them to resign. Associate teachers are treated with disdain and given unfair work loads.
    The superintendent spreads the culture of "fear of school attacks", (in protocol of security procedures) yet he does not teach staff a courteous protocol in interacting with rotating associate teachers, visitors, and students that shows respect and appreciation.

My advice to upper management:
    1. Be consistent in calling associate teachers associate teachers, not "sub" or "substitute".
    2. Educate staff on ways to greet associate teachers and think of them as an important entity.
    3. Require and monitor teachers to prepare meaningful, related emergency plans in advance.
    4. Do not pressure associate teachers to give up their legal rights by having administrative staff threaten that associate teachers will not get hired if they refuse to sign the summer waiver.
    5. Upgrade associate teachers pay day schedule so they do not have to wait five (5) weeks at the beginning of each year before receiving any paychecks.
    6. Have high expectations of administrators and students to appreciate and cooperate with associate teachers fairly. This is "working for free"
    7. Encourage staff and students to respect and appreciate qualified teachers of all ages; do not be prejudiced against over age 60 teachers who are doing a great job.
    8. Be willing to pay more for more experienced teachers.
    9. Stop short-changing students by saving money in using associate teachers when experienced, fully certified, highly qualified teachers are available and have applied.

Experience with Alief

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Alief ISD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Alief does have the best salaries in education in the Houston area. They provide state of the art training and opportunity for growth.

Cons

Administrators are demanding and have no regard for balance. The hours are long and often unappreciated. I have seen many new teachers leave the field of education after completing only one year for this district.

Respect the need for educators to maintain balance and compensate them for additional work.

Great friends and better colleagues.

Current Employee - Supervising RN in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supervising RN in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alief ISD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great time off with pay. Excellent autonomy.

Cons

Pay is low. Time to retirement is long unless yopu start as a new grad.

Current Employee

Current Employee - Elementary Bilingual Teacher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Elementary Bilingual Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alief ISD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong professional development classes. Students are a priority. Strong after school program.

Cons

Lack of collaboration between departments.

substitute teacher- teach and facilitate class when teacher is absent.

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Alief ISD part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about this job is that you are able to make difference

Cons

The con is not able to build to establish knowing the kids

n\a

I love my job!

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alief ISD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I came to teach in Alief ISD from a district where constant testing was the norm. Our students were over worked and exhausted. Teaching was a bore for me and was not fun at all for my students. In Alief, however, the focus is on the students. The administration in this school district strive to educate children and teach skills with real world application. We so not simply teach children how to take a test. In Alief we are student-centered. Everything we do, we do for our students.

Cons

Behavior management needs to be firm and structured for our group of kiddos.

E-Colors is a fantastic way for everyone (students, teachers, admin) to understand one another and to efficiently communicate and work together. All schools should begin an E-Colors program within their school communities.

Great experiences at Alief ISD.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alief ISD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Provides very good professional development. Best salary and benefits in the area or perhaps the whole state.

Cons

While it's great that the District likes to try new ideas from good researched sources, the tryouts don't last long and implementation changes happen to often.

Keep on administering District budget as well as you've been doing it. Thank you for taking care of the district employees.