AlienVault Reviews

Barmak Meftah

1. Outstanding Company

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at AlienVault (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding work environment with a positive attitude from the top down. The minute you start everyone in the office wants to make sure you have everything you need. The team dynamic is excellent and a work/life balance is encouraged and supported.

Cons

There is a bit of disorganization however that is normal when there is high growth. I would recommend continuing to add policies and procedures to fine tune the sales machine.

Great place to work!

I have been working at AlienVault full-time

Pros

The leadership team, direction of the company, culture and room for growth are all reasons I love working at AlienVault. It's hard to find solid companies to work for today, and AlienVault is known for being in the top of the security space, which you can see by the hard work every employee produces on a daily basis. The team values their work, its customers, partners and has a great work hard, play hard mentality.

Cons

Still in start-up mode in a few ways where communication across departments is lacking, but you can already see improvements by the management team to ensure everyone is on board with the direction of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue allowing each team player to have individual say in his or her role. The management team is open to everyone's opinions and ideas, which is a great policy and helps keep communication flowing and open at all times.

Dec 9, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback is fair and valuable.

Great place to work! Fast moving and challenging.

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We get quite a bit accomplished in any given week and always have a good time doing it.

Cons

Information security is not the easiest to grasp if your background is in a different industry..

Nov 11, 2014

We appreciate your feedback.

Untrustworthy Sales Management

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product. Excellent professional services.

Cons

Micro management Opportunity transfers without reps being informed Belittling of reps. Management takes very personal attack on reps. Agreed with the environment being extremely hostile.

Advice to Management

take a step back and breath. no need to bark at the people while they're hard at work bringing deals in.

Great culture, awesome positioning

Current Employee - Product
    Current Employee - Product

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic company culture. "Work smarter, not harder" culture means that the company values employee's personal time but is focused on actually getting things done. - The company hosts a very diverse (age, ethnicity, background) population, lending itself to a refreshingly different style of startup than the ex-Facebook/Google brogrammer environment you see at other successful startups nowadays. - Really no competition. AlienVault's job is to teach the market why integrated security makes sense. If there wasn't a good story there this would be a huge negative. But with their product and solutions it's a big positive and lends itself to a "sandbox" environment for their product team. - Personable and approachable executive team.

Cons

- Despite the company growing beyond its humble startup origins, we're still learning how to instrument things like expense reporting in a scalable way. - To accomplish the "work smarter, not harder" mentality the company is populated by some very strong and ambitious personalities. The environment is not contentious or "Game of Thrones-y" by any means, but you will need to be very personally motivated in order to keep up. - Security is a hard field to get into unless you're genuinely interested in it. People here care a lot about security, so you should be similarly motivated (or interested enough to learn).

Advice to Management

- Barmak does an absolutely fantastic job of being approachable and personal with employees at all levels. I know it's going to be hard to do this going forward, but please keep it up.

AlienVault is a company of very talented people working to solve real world network security issues.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is doing some really exciting work and has a clear vision of where it is headed. As a recent addition to the team, I can report that everything from initial contact, interview process, hiring, and on-boarding has been without a single hitch. Management clearly is focused on company goals and people and it shows in the way the team works and supports its customers.

Cons

Company is a start-up so not all the perks of a large organization, but they are growing fast.

An Honest Review From a Real Sales Person

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product is great and it is an easy sell. Management has done a good job of posting positive reviews in order to sway new employees.

Cons

So many cons. From sales person to sales person - RUN *To start the management style. If you like be watched like a child with every step you are making be overseen by the VP, DIr and your Manager, well you will probably fit in here. But be careful because the moment management feels like you don't know how to do your job they will go around you and send emails to your customers. Even give them discounts. And don't expect to be included on the emails....you have officially been cut out. But don't worry, another rep will close your deals and get credit for it now. *Management takes accounts and transfers them to other reps on the DAY OF CLOSE only to have the new rep get the credit and the one who did all the work get nothing. This did not happen to me but I witnessed it. *Management talks down and belittles the sales people. Again this did not happen to me but I witnessed it. *I saw reps closing deals in other peoples territories/states, enterprise reps closing SMB deals and SMB reps closing enterprise deals. All this was done ONLY if you were part of the "club". You know the way it works..if you are one of them you get all the perks and if you are not...well...good luck then. *Unprofessional and inappropriate emails sent to the team. *Quota is not a target that can be hit on a regular basis. Yes it can be and will be hit, but it is not likely to happen every month. This is not just for me...I did well there. This is an observation I made during my process of employment. *They do not pay commissions on time or in full. Expect to have your commissions come in partially what is agreed upon. Then when you say something be prepared to be put off as long as possible and treated unfairly while begging for your pay. *The whole sales process is skewed. HUGE price cuts trying to push a network security platform into a "velocity" sell. This is great but it will cut your commissions. Sending blind contracts out is promoted...even without having a meaningful conversation they will expect you to send a 30% off discount. **This is real. All of the negative reviews on here are true-to-life. All of the good reviews (or at least the majority) are management. They were overheard talking about how to increase there PR on GlassDoor by posting fake reviews.** I hope I save just 1 sales person from the hell that is AlienVault. Good Luck and Happy Selling!!

Advice to Management

Try having some integrity and doing the right thing. Stop alienating people. Let you team manage their own business. Trust in each other. Stop acting like the sales floor is a fraternity that only some of the employees are members of.

Nov 11, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and review. Your feedback will help our management team work to make improvements for the Sales team.

Great product and sales team. Horrible Sales Leadership!

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is a great product and leads pouring in the door. Good turnaround for new business.

Cons

It would be a great place to work except for the fact that upper sales management treats the business as a B to C business versus a B to B business. Sales skills are not used here. Management's strategies to complete a deal is to give a significant discount in price to close a deal versus listening to the prospects wants and goals for their project. Upper management has no respect for their sales people nor do they want your opinion. You are a number and they will show it openly and provide a demeaning behavior in front of other sales people without hesitation. While you do have a territory; that is subject to what upper management wants you to have. Leads and opportunities will be transferred out of your name at any time without regret, so as a sales person you are in a means of survival to make it here.

Advice to Management

1. Your sales people were hired based on their history of success in previous positions; respect them, listen to their opinion on how they will get a deal closed, treat them as human beings and not something you can replace easily. 2. Give your sales people a solid territory and let them work their territory effectively. Do not remove or switch it up multiple times in a year which can be ineffective in territory growth. 3. Stop demeaning your sales people. These are human beings. If you didn't think they are intelligent enough to have the job then don't hire them. 4. Let your sales people help improve the business by adding ideas on how to improve the process and corporate lifestyle. This will have a positive impact versus a negative.

10. I don't always hit my sales goals...but when I do, I do it in 1 call.

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product & marketing model, great executive team & reasonable management team, great pay and benefits, good looking company logo and employees, success is measured by results not butt smooching, and credit is given where due. Not another order taking sales job, requires a seasoned professional who wants to kick butt and take names.

Cons

The commute (can be aggravating when the 880, 101 & 280 experiences excessive breaking due to Prius & Leaf drivers).

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the team and being supportive.

11. Great Perks!

Current Employee - Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks, corporate discount for gym/ fitness, benefits, 401K, employee discount programs, company provided life insurance, commuter program - AWESOME!

Cons

The cummute is quite far

RSS Feed </> Embed