AlienVault

Updated August 8, 2014
3.3

Barmak Meftah

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I don't always hit my sales goals...but when I do, I do it in 1 call.

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great product & marketing model, great executive team & reasonable management team, great pay and benefits, good looking company logo and employees, success is measured by results not butt smooching, and credit is given where due. Not another order taking sales job, requires a seasoned professional who wants to kick butt and take names.

Cons

The commute (can be aggravating when the 880, 101 & 280 experiences excessive breaking due to Prius & Leaf drivers).

Keep listening to the team and being supportive.

An Honest Review From a Real Sales Person

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The product is great and it is an easy sell.

Management has done a good job of posting positive reviews in order to sway new employees.

Cons

So many cons. From sales person to sales person - RUN

*To start the management style. If you like be watched like a child with every step you are making be overseen by the VP, DIr and your Manager, well you will probably fit in here. But be careful because the moment management feels like you don't know how to do your job they will go around you and send emails to your customers. Even give them discounts. And don't expect to be included on the emails....you have officially been cut out. But don't worry, another rep will close your deals and get credit for it now.

*Management takes accounts and transfers them to other reps on the DAY OF CLOSE only to have the new rep get the credit and the one who did all the work get nothing. This did not happen to me but I witnessed it.

*Management talks down and belittles the sales people. Again this did not happen to me but I witnessed it.

*I saw reps closing deals in other peoples territories/states, enterprise reps closing SMB deals and SMB reps closing enterprise deals. All this was done ONLY if you were part of the "club". You know the way it works..if you are one of them you get all the perks and if you are not...well...good luck then.

*Unprofessional and inappropriate emails sent to the team.

*Quota is not a target that can be hit on a regular basis. Yes it can be and will be hit, but it is not likely to happen every month. This is not just for me...I did well there. This is an observation I made during my process of employment.

*They do not pay commissions on time or in full. Expect to have your commissions come in partially what is agreed upon. Then when you say something be prepared to be put off as long as possible and treated unfairly while begging for your pay.

*The whole sales process is skewed. HUGE price cuts trying to push a network security platform into a "velocity" sell. This is great but it will cut your commissions. Sending blind contracts out is promoted...even without having a meaningful conversation they will expect you to send a 30% off discount.

**This is real. All of the negative reviews on here are true-to-life. All of the good reviews (or at least the majority) are management. They were overheard talking about how to increase there PR on GlassDoor by posting fake reviews.**

I hope I save just 1 sales person from the hell that is AlienVault.

Good Luck and Happy Selling!!

Try having some integrity and doing the right thing. Stop alienating people. Let you team manage their own business. Trust in each other. Stop acting like the sales floor is a fraternity that only some of the employees are members of.

AlienVault Response

Nov 11, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and review. Your feedback will help our management team work to make improvements for the Sales team.

Great product and sales team. Horrible Sales Leadership!

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The product is a great product and leads pouring in the door. Good turnaround for new business.

Cons

It would be a great place to work except for the fact that upper sales management treats the business as a B to C business versus a B to B business. Sales skills are not used here. Management's strategies to complete a deal is to give a significant discount in price to close a deal versus listening to the prospects wants and goals for their project.

Upper management has no respect for their sales people nor do they want your opinion. You are a number and they will show it openly and provide a demeaning behavior in front of other sales people without hesitation.

While you do have a territory; that is subject to what upper management wants you to have. Leads and opportunities will be transferred out of your name at any time without regret, so as a sales person you are in a means of survival to make it here.

1. Your sales people were hired based on their history of success in previous positions; respect them, listen to their opinion on how they will get a deal closed, treat them as human beings and not something you can replace easily.

2. Give your sales people a solid territory and let them work their territory effectively. Do not remove or switch it up multiple times in a year which can be ineffective in territory growth.

3. Stop demeaning your sales people. These are human beings. If you didn't think they are intelligent enough to have the job then don't hire them.

4. Let your sales people help improve the business by adding ideas on how to improve the process and corporate lifestyle. This will have a positive impact versus a negative.

Great Perks!

Current Employee - Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Snacks, corporate discount for gym/ fitness, benefits, 401K, employee discount programs, company provided life insurance, commuter program - AWESOME!

Cons

The cummute is quite far

Great company with huge potential.

Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Opportunities to learn and grow your skill set with guidance from a well-seasoned management team.
    2. Opportunities to grow and advance with the company.
    3. Good work/ life balance. Allowed to work from home when needed.
    4. CEO takes time to know his employees

Cons

1. Company is growing rapidly causing several people to wear multiple hats.

Outstanding company - truly fanatical about doing something special

Current Employee - Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Talented team with highly professional workplace

Cons

None assuming you're prepared to roll-up your sleeves and check complacency at the door.

More of the same.

Constructive Criticism

Former Employee - Non-Management in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Non-Management in San Mateo, CA

I worked at AlienVault as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-Great product and executives with a vision.
    -Great team members across the board
    -Great opportunity to develop your career
    -Great founders
    -Great engineering and support team

Cons

-disregard for the individual
    -overgeneralize
    -management should receive reviews from subordinates

Let's face it; we have all seen and experienced bad bosses. There are the ones that bully, the ones that only care about themselves and their own career, the cowards that hide behind others or the ones that drive you mad by trying to tell you how to do your job in the minutest level of detail. Seeing bad bosses in action can be hilarious but if you are on the receiving end of a bad boss it is usually no laughing matter. Bad bosses cause so much unnecessary stress in the work place and are a major cause of reduced productivity and performance.

The thing is that we are often not fully aware why we get stressed by our bosses, they just make us feel uncomfortable or in the worst case completely stressed out. I work with so many different companies all over the world, across all industries and sectors and believe I can tell whether someone is a good boss or not within seconds of meeting them and their team. You can just tell by what they say, how they say it and how they and their team behave. Here are some ten tell-tale signs of a bad boss: Don't be one.

The Ego-Tripper - a boss that is arrogant, shows off at any opportunity and is in constant need of boosting his or her ego.

The Coward - a boss that takes on no accountability and often hides behind others

The Micromanager - a boss that believes he knows how others should do their job, who can't trust people to just get on with their job and instead and micro-manages everything they do

The Incapable - a boss that has been promoted beyond his or her capabilities, has no clue how to do the job and has lost all respect of subordinates and co-workers

The Bad Communicator - a boss that is unable to communicate anything effectively, be it the corporate strategy or individual performance feedback

The Plagiarizer - a boss that takes credit for other people's work or ideas and passes it off as his own (especially to his or her boss)

The Ego-Centric - a boss that doesn't care about the people who work for him and is not interested in helping, coaching and developing anyone else but himself

The Criticizer- a boss that is quick to criticize mistakes others make and is unable to provide constructive feedback

For me, each of the above are clear signs of a bad manager and when you get a boss with one or maybe two of the signs then you can usually manage around them (not ideal but doable). Really problematic is when you end up with a boss that shows several of them at the same time, in which something has to give.

Fix the problem or you will keep losing talented individuals.